“Great food, fun atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
San Diego, California
“Great food, fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Visited the Old Fashioned while in town for a conference, and was impressed by its rustic charm and fast service. A staple near the Capitol, I was seated quickly and my food was delivered with no issues. They have a large selection of beers and other drinks, but plan ahead as wait times increase throughout the evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kenosha, WI
“Haven't gotten to eat there yet, but get an Old Fashioned”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

So far these two are my favorite Old Fashioned's:

ORANGE RUM OLD FASHIONED-Made with Clement, Creole Shrubb Orange Rum. $7.50

APPLE JACK OLD FASHIONED-With Madison’s own Yahara Bay Apple Brandy. $6.50

They have a make your own menu. I highly recommend the Honey Liquor, Ginger Beer & Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla Bitters.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Recommended for a reason!!?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ok...first let me start by saying that if you want to eat here...GO EARLY unless you want to wait for an hour or more. The first time I tried dining here, the wait was 90 minutes and I chose to go somewhere else. I tried again for lunch the next day and was so glad I went back. I had the Wisconsin Beer Soup which was so rich and creamy!!! The soup is served with Popcorn Garnish and oyster crackers....don't pass on the soup!!! I had the Wisconsin burger as others had bragged how great it was. I do not eat a lot of burgers so I gave it a try with the onion strings. Three letters O.M.G.!!!! This burger was amazing. Great flavor and great portion size as it was manageable not overkill. The onion strings were also very good and seasoned and fried very crisp, without being greasy. The atmosphere is like an old country store and is quite relaxing and enjoyable. Loved it and can not wait to go back

Visited April 2013
Jefferson WI
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

a very busy place even on a Tuesday night but the food was excellent and the drinks great! On the menu are some things you probably won't find anywhere else: salami sausage sandwich or a chicken w/braunschweiger sandwich. Prices very reasonable for being in the city.

Visited April 2013
cincinnati
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had been told by native Madisonians that The Old Fashioned restaurant was not to be missed while I was in town. Although it was a Friday night and I had warned that it would be crowded, I went with five friends and we had a delightful time. My G&T at the bar while we waited was nothing to brag about (should have ordered the house special, an Old Fashioned), but once at table we decided to try a couple of "Snits" (sp?) which was a sampling of four of the specialty beers--a fun experience to share with friends. Then we decided to try the famous Fried Cheese Curds (No. 13 on the Old Fashioned menu) and they were wonderful!! I tried a taste of my friend's Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup garnished with popcorn, and it was fabulous. Since it was Friday, several of us ordered the Friday Fish Fry, which was a beautifully lightly beer-battered selection of cod, walleye, and perch. I enjoyed everything. Several friends ordered a dessert of cherry crisp--with chocolate. To die for!
So next time you're in Madison, you don't want to miss The Old Fashioned. Yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere