“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 63 hotels in Madison
Dubuque, Iowa
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel has very clean spacious rooms that are not cluttered. The staff was friendly and helpful and the price is right. Downtown Madison is about 15 minutes away and the hotel is only 5 minutes from the mall, and many other stores and places to eat. The pool was clean and the hot tub was the perfect temperature. The kids had a blast. I would stay again if passing through that part of the state for sure!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
How wonderful to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us here in Madison, WI! My staff is dedicated to keeping the hotel clean and welcoming, accommodating your needs, and delivering exceptional service. The pool and restaurant provide convenient amenities right outside your door. And just like you mentioned, the mall, airport, and capitol building are an easy drive down the street. We're excited to have you here with us again!

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Middletown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel it was a great experience, The front desk staff was friendly and accomodating the bar service was outstanding, extremely friendly and attentive bartenders, the food was great we will stay here again on our next trip out West.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for joining us all the way from Ohio!

What's high in the middle and round on both ends? OHIO! (O-high-O) Haha!

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. Feedback is always welcome, and it's especially nice to present wonderful comments like this to my staff! Have a great day, and we'll be here for you the next time you're in Madison!
Marshfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Everyone was courteous and friendly and my stay was very enjoyable. Casie our banquet attendant was very professional and friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. The food we were served was exceptional and was more than what I expected and the bar staff was great also. Please congratulate your staff on a job well done.

I look forward to staying at your facility my next trip to Madison.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I am glad you had a chance to experience our award-winning service, guest rooms, and meeting space! It sounds like you had a great night’s sleep in our Simmons BeautyRest pillowtop mattresses. And our meeting space can accommodate events from the smallest boardroom meetings to weddings with over 200 guests. I will absolutely share your comments with Casie, my kitchen, and my bar staff, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We wanted to stay at a hotel closer to downtown Madison but couldn't pass up the price per night at the Holiday Inn. While it was not our ideal location (about 20-25 minutes to main attractions), it was a clean hotel with basic amenities. The restaurant served a decent breakfast buffet and although our room did include free breakfast, the price was very reasonable ($10.95 adults). That is a steal for a hotel breakfast! We did order room service for dinner one night and the food was disappointing but we weren't expecting a gourmet meal. The only complaint was that the bathrooms weren't cleaned to my expectations.

Room Tip: Not sure why, but our room was on the 5th floor and required a key access for the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I appreciate your comments and, more specifically, the title of your review. We pride ourselves on providing guests with a high quality experience at a reasonable price. That includes amenities like our pool, hot tub, fitness center, full-service restaurant, business center, and free wireless internet. The fifth floor (our top floor) is an upgraded room type. The key card access minimizes distractions from guests who do not have a room on that floor and from guests in rooms above you. It is beneficial to business travelers looking for an exceptionally quiet room.

Our hotel is located on the eastside of Madison. We are just five minutes from the shopping and family restaurants in and around the East Towne Mall, and only another five minutes from the Dane County Regional Airport. The Wisconsin Capitol Building and University of Wisconsin-Madison are 20 minutes away, a straight drive to downtown Madison with numerous restaurants and shops along the way. On the other hand, our room-service and in-room entertainment provide everything you need to enjoy an evening within the comfort of your own room.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you will choose Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center for your next visit to Madison.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here for three weeks. The staff was great, rooms comfortable and any problem I had was taked care of. I'm not a big drinker but Wednesday Night Happy hour was fun. Great food and choice of beer, wine or soda for free. The owner of the hotel was there to great you and thank you for staying. Very nice person and great Hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for the feedback! We have been receiving an extrememly positive response from the Stay Social hour we have every Wednesday from 5:30pm to 6:50pm. During the Stay Social hour, we host draft beer and house wine and soda. Guests are also welcome to the snacks our chef whips up during that time. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hillsboro, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Very nice accomodations and a great place to stay. The staff was excellent. Would definately stay again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Fantastic! I'm glad we lived up to our award-winning reputation! I hope you were able to enjoy our restaurant Geier's Grill and our island-themed pool during your stay. I'll be sure to share your positive feedback with my staff, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We spent one night in this hotel and all I can say positive was that the hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. As well as having a very good and fast Wi-Fi connection. The negatives were that the walls as thin so we could hear everything going on in the hall and in the rooms around us. There was no microwave in the room and refrigerator was warm, we had to pull it out from under the counter to change the tepature setting as it was located on the back of the fridge.

Even though check out was advertised as noon, we had cleaning staff knocking on our door at 9:00AM and trying to get into our room to clean it.

A caution with this hotel was that they advertise a FREE hot breakfast buffet with the room, but when we went down for breakfast there was a continental breakfast buffet and a hot breakfast buffet that had a sign on it that said the hot buffet was an extra four dollars per person. So we chose to stick with the continental buffet and that only included toast, bagels, small muffins and fruit and as we were finishing our breakfast we were handed a $9.71 dollar bill for breakfast. On the bill I was charged just shy of $3.00 for two pieces of buttered toast, which was horrible and that I could not finish. We complained about the bill and pointed out that the room was to include a free breakfast. We were told “Oh you have to get coupons from the front desk for the breakfast” these coupons were not given to us and we were not told that we had to ask for them. So I watched as several other people at the breakfast buffet were given bills and paid for their breakfast. What a rip off to scam more money out of the guests.

It has been a long time since I stayed at a Holiday in but after them lying to me and trying to scam more money out of me it will be a long time again before I step into another Holiday Inn. I can stay at much nicer hotels for only a few dollars more a night and not be lied to and ripped off.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I will be discussing your comments with my staff to evaluate the policies and procedures we have in place regarding our breakfast, and I’d like to assure you that we are not trying to scam or cheat guests out of their hard-earned money. Unfortunately, breakfast is not included at our hotel, but some package rates that include breakfast are available, and our restaurant Geier’s Grill is open every morning.

We do indeed have a 12pm check-out time (11am at most hotels) and a 4pm check-in time. Holiday Inn offers a program called ‘Express Checkout’. At night, a receipt is slipped under the door of occupied guestrooms, allowing guests to bypass the front desk when checking-out in the morning. Consequently, housekeeping does not know which rooms have departed and which rooms are still occupied, so they must knock on doors to find the ‘Express Checkout’ rooms they can enter and clean earlier. Regrettably in this instance, the policy affected your stay, so I understand your frustration and apologize for the trouble. We invite all our guests to utilize the ‘Do Not Disturb’ signs placed in every room. Housekeeping will not attempt to clean those rooms until the sign has been removed or the check-out time has passed.

All our rooms are equipped with a mini-refrigerator, 32” HDTV, hair dryer, coffeemaker, and safe, whereas additional amenities, such as a microwave, business center, convenience store, restaurant, pool, hot tub, and fitness center, can be found on our first floor for public use.

I’m glad our free high-speed wireless internet access and clean facilities were positive parts of your stay, which I believe is more characteristic of our ‘Quality Excellence’ award-winning hotel. Please feel free to contact me at timharris@sixtitles.com if you have any other comments or concerns, and I appreciate the time you took writing this review.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Holiday Inn Madison at The American Center? Share your experiences!