“A Favorite” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 850 Restaurants in Madison
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Madison, WI
“A Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've never had a bad, indifferent, or wrong dinner at Sardine. I'm drawn to the steak and frites most of all, but anything I've ordered has been perfect. The skatewing was fabulous, the chicken, the salmon, and lamb chops perfect. The appetizers and desserts are flawless. Home made ice cream is original and delicious. I'm a sucker for the smelt appetizer, but it is really enough for dinner. The wine list has economical prices to very expensive bottles, but I've always found something perfect to accompany any meal I've ordered at Sardine. I like the atmosphere, but sound is quite jumpy and when the house is full, it can overwhelm conversation. Even the bread and butter is delicious!

• Visited September 2012

Madison, Wisconsin
“Special dinners are special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Last night we went with four other friends to one of Sardine's family style dinners. The menu was from the Alsace and included a chosen wine and beer. The food was excellent. Well worth the $35 per person. I would highly suggest checking to see if one of these dinners is being served if you are in Madison on a Monday or get on their website if you live here so you can be part of one.

• Visited December 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The word is out on this restaurant. We had a reservation for a Saturday night, luckily, and it was a good thing because the place was packed. They have a great looking bar to sit at, if you have to wait, though. I had a glass of wine and was very happy to see that they had a Barbera on the "by the glass" list...not the norm. We shared goat cheese with crostini, which was excellent. The goat cheese was warm and mild and they put a few roasted tomatoes and olives in the cheese. The crostini was perfect. For dinner I had the Steak Frites. My steak was done perfectly, with a piece of lovely Wisconsin butter melting on the top, when served. Heaven! The only thing that wasn't excellent about our experience was the service. Our waitress was very average and quite dull, but that didn't affect the food or expected overall time it took to eat. I'm not sure if this "OK" service is an anomoly here. My husband ate at Sardine once previously with a group and his service was "good, not great." Despite the service I will definitely go back and probably get the same exact meal! I would have ranked Sardine a 5 if it weren't for the service that didn't live up to the quality of the food and atmosphere.

• Visited December 2012
“A bump in the road?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I love Sardine, but my recent visit left something to be desired. Per usual, service and atmosphere are excellent. No specials due to a recently revamped menu. Both entrees came out barely hot. An old standby, the steak frites, was mediocre as the ribeye was a bit too chewy. Hanger steak was not charred, rather burnt. Something was off with the Brussels sprouts as well, an off putting taste. Apple dessert was excellent. Hopefully this is a fluke. Would hate to see Sardine lose it's excellence.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Are we in Paris or Madison?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is an amazing Paris bistro restaurant. Food and service are superb. The interior has nice ambiance and the entire dining experience makes you feel for a couple of hours that you are dining in Paris.

Visited November 2012