“Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #175 of 850 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Dayton Street Grille is downtown Madison's premier restaurant for fine dining. Conveniently located in the Madison Concourse Hotel, the Dayton Street Grille is just steps away from the Overture Center, State Street and all that downtown Madison has to offer. Voted Best Local Chef by Madison Magazine's Readers Poll, Charles Lazzareschi and an award-winning staff of culinary artists take the season's finest quality ingredients, fresh from your favorite local Wisconsin farms and dairies, and create flavorful Contemporary American Cuisine with a global flair. Our breakfast buffet includes pastries and sweets made right in our kitchen by the Dayton Street Grille's own pastry chef. Our weekday salad bar features fresh, healthful produce and savory treats, assembled by a dedicated salad bar specialist. Our elegant, yet relaxed atmosphere is the perfect place for a pre-show meal, anniversary dinner, or night out with friends.
Carlsbad, CA
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We dine here each year, and are always disappointed that more people don't know how good this restaurant is. There have rarely been more than 10 people there at dinner, although it is busy at lunch. The food is excellent and not over-priced. I started with the creamy carrot apple soup, which was delicious, flavored with coconut and ginger. My husband had the seared ahi appetizer, which was fresh and accompanied with slaw, cucumber, and wonton, a lovely combination. The piece de resistance was my main dish, egg pappardelle, one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had. It had a mushroom ragout, Italian sausage, and mushroom cream. Magnificent! I couldn't finish it, so my husband took a few bites, and said he wants to come back so he can order that. What a treat!

Visited June 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Superior food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The chef creates food from Wisconsin ingredients that rival any expensive restaurant in Madison -- without a hefty bill. I had choices that were all so interesting it was hard to pick. I had impeccable service from the staff. Just because this restaurant is in a hotel so not pass it by. It is well worth a meal to see what the chef has cooked up.

Visited May 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Breakfast was good. But dinner really disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I liked the ambiance and presentation of the food. But our fish dishes were mediocre. bland flavored. When you vow to each other that you will never come here for dinner again (we return every October to the hotel) that is not a good sign. I still gave a very good rating because of the good breakfast. Many choices, fast service and good breakfast food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Disappointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We made reservation for six people for the 6 pm dinner hour. We had an idea of what to expect when we walked into the restaurant and we were the only ones there. However, we had another event to attend in the hotel and didn't want to leave.

Pro's:
The waiter was readily available for us, even if he didn't smile
The food has a great presentation
The restaurant was quiet
We were seated immediately
The apricot chutney was great
Seafood medley, porkchop, and crab cakes were great!

Con's:
Scallops were gritty
Cannellini beans were undercooked and hard
The short ribs were tough--like very, very tough
Squid ink pasta??? really?
For an organic food restaurant, I was expecting a full serving of vegetable with my entrée -- I received less than 1/2 a serving, and way too many undercooked beans!

All in all, our group left hungry and unsatisfied. The food was not at all what I was expecting after reading so many other great reviews. Should you really leave hungry after ordering an appetizer, side salad, and an entrée??? Too bad, this restaurant has a lot of potential.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Excellent food & service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The coffee was great--although I like to have a thermos on the table so I don't have to ask for refills. I had the eggs benedict which were excellent and my husband had an omlette which he was very pleased with

Visited January 2014