“Get over the bad service and EAT” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Denver, Colorado
“Get over the bad service and EAT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Yes, the service isn't great. So order another Heir Apparent or a Chef Don't Fly and a plate of the best curds in town, and get over it!
We landed here one night after deciding we didn't need to wait an hour for a table at the Old Fashioned, and it was the best thing that happened to our trip to Madison. Eclectic dishes, much of it sourced locally, and fabulous drinks. To start our group sampled several different cocktails - and since I'm writing this I get to say that mine, the Heir Apparent, was the best. Spicy pear vodka, Dry Honey liqueur and a ginger cognac? Hard to go wrong. But they were all stunning. And when in Wisconsin? The curds are large, ridiculously creamy, and addictive with a light vodka batter. Not to be outdone, the cheese plate presented four local cheese options recommended by our server, and he hit it out of the park. We moved on to entrees, and tried the sausage plate, the rib-eye, the sage gnocchi, and the moules frites. Then argued about which was better. The hickory nut-bourbon-caramel pie finished us off, and we couldn't have been happier.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Connecticut
“The food was a big stuffy but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

In general I prefer more traditional cuisine but this was really good, the cheese curds are AWESOME I will return on my next trip to Madison

Visited October 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Oh, so, disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Service is just awful. Staffed by hipsters who think more about themselves than the customers. It has been that way since opening, so I doubt it is going to change.

The food is decent; not amazing and I've had better from farm-to-table restaurants. Though I have a soft spot for the pretzel -- it is a highlight and makes it worth tolerating the visit. The housemade syrups are good (though they used to be even better). The seasonal lemonades are consistently very, very sweet.

One of the upsides is that they can parse out checks -- even to dividing appetizer costs between various numbers of the party. So, since you typically have to wait for a table (no reservations accepted), it can be a bright spot at the end of a group meal.

And, it is very loud -- glass, wood and metal. No fabrics.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, WI
“Service consistently blemishes a fine menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This review is based on 10 trips to Graze over the past year. First, the food is great. I will say, though, that if Madison were a larger city, it would not stand out among good farm to table restaurants. What ruins it is the service. All of the pretty, doe-eyed hostesses are from the same look book (yes, Chef must have a "type"). Servers are universally kind and socially obtuse - one kept hanging around at our table just to chat, even though we were clearly trying to conduct business - remarkably intrusive, one messed up half the orders, one, when asked which dishes did not contain pork, kept suggesting things like "sausage" and "charcuterie." Their pickle sampler is exceptional, but tough beans if you want it on Saturday - wen though this is a PRESERVE and standard on lunch AND dinner menus, kitchen refuses to serve it during Saturday brunch. No reason offered. Staff here need training, and the quasi-celeb chef needs to think about how to be hospitable.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Would GRAZE here again! Good Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was traveling through Madison on business last week. My colleague and I had lunch at Graze, and really enjoyed it. Both of us "think" we are food critics because we travel so much and eat at restaurants all over the country. Graze is a great place for many reasons. I could care less about the whole "farm to table" thing, but they promote it big time at Graze. That said, the theory that most of the food served there comes right from the local farmers made me want to order a little healthier food..just to see if it was as fresh as they suggested..it was. I had a great soup, and salad. My colleague had the same thing, and we tried some "cheese churds" which is a Wisconsin version of fried cheese..darn good..fattening as heck, but great. The rest of the meal was very fresh, and great..and the place was buzzing at lunch time as all the folks from the capitol building across the street come over for lunch..Would I "Graze" here again? You bet!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere