“Just good ice cream” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert
New England
“Just good ice cream”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Being from New England where ice cream rules, frozen custard is not quite the same. Kind of like a cross between what we call "soft serve" and "solid" ice cream, it doesn't have quite the flavor we are used to. Michael's has chocolate, vanilla, and the flavor of the day plus lots of toppings. It is rather expensive compared to what we are accustomed to. They do put on adequate amount of sauce, however, and they also sell servings for your dog!

Visited June 2012

Madison, Wisconsin
“Peanut Butter Cup Sundae Brightens Any Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Michael's is the perfect stop on a hot summer evening. Diner style food that is good for when you just want a burger and fries are satisfying. But the real draw is the frozen custard. They always rotate in a specialty flavor, but I am partial to the vanilla with some good toppings. The Peanut Butter Cup Sundae is topped with their hot fudge sauce, which reminds me of the Magic Shell of my younger days, and peanut butter sauce which is just amazing. Definitely worth seeking out while in town.

Visited February 2012
“Amazing but expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Micheal's custard is by far my most favorite dessert of all time. The sundaes are to die for. I'm a little glad it's so overpriced... otherwise I'd eat it constantly. Food is also good, but expensive.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, WI
“The food and the service are very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

What happened to this place? I used to work near this restaurant and ate there at least once a month. I had not been there for the last few years. We were in the neighborhood so we stopped in for lunch. The first clue that things had changed was that the parking lot was empty at 1:00 in the afternoon. The menu is greatly reduced in variety and overpriced in cost. No more kids menu. If you want a soft drink you get it in a 12 ounce can. The server was just barely above rude. There was absolutley no one else in the place so it was not like he was busy. The food was adequate but not worth the cost. It is too bad. Michael's used to be a great place to go and eat. Not any more.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“I worked at the one on Monroe Street while in high school so of course I think it's the best!!! I love their coffee...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

I worked at the one on Monroe Street while in high school so of course I think it's the best!!! I love their coffee oreo!