“MUST try the scones and everything else!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 838 Restaurants in Madison
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Wisconsin
“MUST try the scones and everything else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have tried this place twice now. The first time, it was so crowded and the line was so long that we just had to take our scones to go. They were AMAZING. I had a coconut/orange/white chocolate and my boyfriend had a cherry one. We also got mochas and they were good. Today, I had the setain hash and really enjoyed it. It was so flavorful. My boyfriend had the Belgian waffle and it was delicious--lots of good fruit on top. He also had a coffee and it was good. We got four more scones and they were all delicious. We will definitely be going back. We love the cozy atmosphere. The set up is somewhat strange. You are given a pager, you find a table and then when it goes off, you pick up your food from a ledge outside the kitchen. There is upstairs and downstairs seating, but you might have to be careful if you have someone in your group that would have difficulty getting up and down steep stairs just in case you get stuck with the upstairs seating because the stairs are pretty narrow and long. Oh, and the service was great too. The person who took our order was friendly and helpful and the chef behind the kitchen told us to enjoy our meal as we picked it up. Our total for four scones, two meals and one coffee was $23.00. Pretty good value I think, especially considering the quality and taste.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Better than good, bordering fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Order the chorizo with eggs. Great! Kids had pancakes with peach compote and Mexican scramble were completely deviured. Frittata was quite good!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Nice neighborhood and great scones”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Lazy janes is a great neighborhood breakfast place and makes the best scones I've ever had. But as interesting as they try and make the food it isn't always that great. It reminds me of back in college when we'd all get together and throw together a meal. Usually it was pretty good, sometimes really good, and sometimes ... Meh. Couple that with long waits and often no place to sit and I would rather go somewhere else if I'm paying.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
St. Croix
“Difficult to Rate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place is really difficult to rate because it really depends on what you like. The food is good, but I would say that the biggest draw is the "experience" it provides diners. Depending on your tastes, I could see how some people would love it while others may not find the quirkiness charming. My 3-star rating is more a reflection of the fact that I don't think it would appeal to everyone. I enjoyed the quirkiness. Others may not.

ATMOSPHERE: Think very old Victorian home that was partially gutted, then filled with "homey" furnishings to accommodate diners. I found it very cozy and casual on the second floor. There are numerous vignettes for diners.... some tables and chairs, some couches and coffee tables, complete with cabinets and chachkis that look like grandma's. All mismatched, including the dishes and flatware, so you felt as though you were in a vintage home of a relative. Very sunny, as the home has many windows.

COMFORT: It was a bit cramped in some areas, but it seemed to be consistent with the "visit to grandma's" feel they seemed to be going for. There are tables downstairs, but this area is entirely different. It is more of a pass-through with people going back-and-forth to the stairs and to pick up their meals. Not nearly as many windows and a much colder feel. I would love to bring my mom here. However the nice atmosphere is found in the upstairs, which could be a problem for those that cannot move about easily. I think finding a table could also be a problem if you don't arrive early, but I don't know this for certain.

VIBE: Again, it is all a matter of taste. I enjoyed it. It is very laid-back. In the area I was sitting, there was one table drinking coffee and playing scrabble, one table was reading the Sunday paper over tea, and another table that was there enjoying a more traditional breakfast dining experience.

FOOD: Nice selection of homemade sweets, nice variety of breakfast combinations, and more traditional breakfast offerings. I enjoyed my meal, though the scramble I had was on the dry side.

SERVICE: There is none. You stand in line to place your order, find a seat, then come back and load up a tray with your order. Again, some may not mind while others may prefer a typical sit-down service.

VALUE: Perfect. Fair price for decent sized servings.

It's bitter cold in this area for months on end. If I lived here, I would definitely want to come back in the winter to get a dose of community and people and sunshine through the windows. Maybe even meet a friend for a game of scrabble or to read the paper.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Arrive early +bring cash = best brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Recommended by a local, and well worth the hike north from the capital . . . . Busy at 9:30 and packed with a line outside by 11:00 . . . So arrive early. Plastic (credit cards) not accepted. Still . . . Amazing fresh bakery goods, omlettes, pancakes, great coffee. Just what you'd dream about for a late breakfast. Seating also upstairs.

• Visited September 2012