“Best off the wall place in town to eat!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #122 of 838 Restaurants in Madison
Illinois
“Best off the wall place in town to eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

OMG Hubby and I had the best meal there! Doesnt look impressive on the outside and crazy chaotic looking when you get in there...but let me tell you they have a system where you tell the bartender you want to order they find you a waitress, they put the order in when your food is ready they come and get you and you sit and enjoy your meal. Hubby had the best fried chicken dinner ever and I had huge breaded shrimp...you get relish tray and bread too. Great baked potaotes! Would definitely go there again if in area. We found this on Trip Advisor.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dunkirk, New York
“Out of The Way, But Worth It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We encountered Toby's on our way to our hotel after 11 hours on the road. Recommended by the hotel clerk and just down the street. Excellent menu of seafood and steak. Just what we needed. The garlic pesto grilled scallops were outstanding as was my wife's salmon special. Salad not much, but the entrees were very good. Be prepared to wait a bit as this is a busy "locals" spot. Our orders were taken while waited for the table and that sped the process. Unpresuming from the outside, and the inside is more bar than restaurant, but we came for the food and not the decor. We were not disappointed in the least?

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
madison, wi
“The best Fish Fry on the East Side of Madison”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

To who ever is in, or around Madison on any day of the week, and want an excellent "fish fry experience", go to Toby's between Madison and McFarland. We have been going there for years, and find it to be excellent on many levels. When you get there, you will find a very inviting atmosphere with tables on your left, and a very busy bar on your right. Tony will take you drink order. Then he will ask you if you are there to eat. A menu will be put in your hand, and soon a waitress will tap you on the shoulder, and ask for your order. Be advised of what day you are there. Friday is extremely busy. Saturday is almost as bad. When your order is ready, your waitress will point to your table. At the table will be your salad, a bread basket and a vegetable tray. I like the onion bread sticks. 6 times, out of 10, pearch, is what I order. The other 4 is the french fried shrimp. Always is the hash browned potatoes. A fine example of the traditional "Wisconsin Fish Fry".

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Wisconsin
“Why not have an old fashioned while you wait?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

OMG... this is in my opinion THE BEST FISH FRY IN TOWN!!! I just get the two piece cod for $9.99. You do wait for a table on Friday night, but it's so worth it [be prepared for over an hour]. But when you sit down and start eating... it's like you've been sent to fish fry heaven. Love the relish plate that's a staple at most supper clubs. The flaky fish is enrobed with a light and perfectly crispy, seasoned batter. [I always get extra lemon for mine since I prefer that to tartar sauce]. Not greasy at all. The baked potatoes are fluffy and just waiting to soak up plenty of butter & sour cream. And the coleslaw is delicious. Cold, crisp, and tangy but still creamy. Yum, yum, yum!!! I am craving it now as I type. Laugh.

And this is a great value too! So much food for 10 bucks. And the drinks are very reasonably priced. The service is always just so great. As I said, it does get jam-packed on a Friday night, but just sit back, grab a drink, relax, and enjoy a little corner of Wisconsin.

This is where I take visitors for great fish! Can I rave enough about this place? I don't think so!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food in classic Midwestern tavern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The fried chicken alone is worth the trip. The also have Perch year round which is my favorite. Service is excellent with a friendly staff. Don't be put off by the somewhat dark and cramped space, And lastly they have the classic bowl of carrots onion sticks, pickles and radishes that is the trademark of everyMidwestern supper.

• Visited March 2013