“Dirty, Non-caring and just not tasty at all” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #255 of 770 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Asian
Madison, Wisconsin
“Dirty, Non-caring and just not tasty at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was so-so the first couple of times I went to Wah Kee. The food was overpriced for the quality but convenient from my house. By the third time, I sat in the dining room and watched as a young fellow dropped several pieces of silver ware on the floor, picked them up and still put them on the table as a setting as another young lady watched. I complained and said I would not return. The cashier did not apologize. Two years later, for some reason I thought maybe it was just a generational thing and I decided to give them another chance via Grub Hub because I was too lazy to pick up the food myself so I wanted food delivered. The portions were VERY small, which was fine. The sweet and sour sauce tasted like vinegar and the egg pork patty tasted like chemicals. I took 2 bites and couldn't eat anymore. My dogs got more of my dinner than I did. Hopefully they won't get sick. I will not be giving them a 3rd chance. I wish another restaurant would take its place.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Madison, Wisconsin
“Better than noodles I've had in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We've had delivery & take out from Wah Kee for years, and eaten in a few times. I almost always have the chef's special "SHANGHAI CHICKEN FRIED NOODLES" which has the most amazing fat noodles in dark 'special sauce.' The scallops in black bean sauce rocks, as do their several kinds of "Rice Stick Noodles," the flat ones. They make everything here fresh, and if you're a noodle fan, there's no place better within 1200 miles. I had noodles in NYC a few years back and commented at the time that they were no where near as good as what Wah Kee makes. Deep menu; one trick is to ask the wait person what they eat there, that is how I discovered the Shanghai Chicken Fried Noodle dish.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“My go to for noodles in broth.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I have to admit surprise at the bad reviews as I am a big fan of this place. I only order their broth bowls, though, and have loved them. This is my new comfort food. The service is very slow, but I always go with a buddy and chat while we wait. The broth bowls are a huge amount of incredibly tasty food and very reasonably priced. The decor is very plain. But if you have time and want a great bowl of wonton, gyoza, and broth, I think you'll be very happy. Yum!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Never again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Went here for lunch. The establishment was not busy. Other parties seemed to be waiting for menus for some time.

Our party's meals came out in spurts, with some people almost finished by the time the rest of the food came out.

I found my Pad Thai to taste extremely bland.

Overall, with so many good establishments in the area, this will not be somewhere I will be visiting again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Worst Restaurant Experience EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Ate lunch at Wah Kee Noodles on Willy St. Lunch was fine, but afterwards, while talking to coworkers a few store fronts away, the waitress came running out to us. She asked "snarkily" if she had done to upset us. When we said not particularly, she demanded to know why then had we stiffed her on her tip (only getting 10%)... OK, we didn't tip over-the-top, but she actually got 14% overall. I personally tipped 33%. Getting 14% isn't getting "stiffed". It certainly doesn't rate getting chased down by a waitress who was demanding more money... How tactless. She sat there and would go away until one of my coworkers agreed to go give her more money... She'll never get any more tip money from me, nor my business.

• Visited March 2012