“My go to for noodles in broth.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #281 of 850 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Asian
Madison, Wisconsin
“My go to for noodles in broth.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I have to admit surprise at the bad reviews as I am a big fan of this place. I only order their broth bowls, though, and have loved them. This is my new comfort food. The service is very slow, but I always go with a buddy and chat while we wait. The broth bowls are a huge amount of incredibly tasty food and very reasonably priced. The decor is very plain. But if you have time and want a great bowl of wonton, gyoza, and broth, I think you'll be very happy. Yum!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Never again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Went here for lunch. The establishment was not busy. Other parties seemed to be waiting for menus for some time.

Our party's meals came out in spurts, with some people almost finished by the time the rest of the food came out.

I found my Pad Thai to taste extremely bland.

Overall, with so many good establishments in the area, this will not be somewhere I will be visiting again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Worst Restaurant Experience EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Ate lunch at Wah Kee Noodles on Willy St. Lunch was fine, but afterwards, while talking to coworkers a few store fronts away, the waitress came running out to us. She asked "snarkily" if she had done to upset us. When we said not particularly, she demanded to know why then had we stiffed her on her tip (only getting 10%)... OK, we didn't tip over-the-top, but she actually got 14% overall. I personally tipped 33%. Getting 14% isn't getting "stiffed". It certainly doesn't rate getting chased down by a waitress who was demanding more money... How tactless. She sat there and would go away until one of my coworkers agreed to go give her more money... She'll never get any more tip money from me, nor my business.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Our first and last visit to this restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I ordered a noodle dish with Chiang Mai Curried Chicken. The menu described the meat for this dish as "chicken breast", but it was all dark meat--drumsticks, etc--and not very fresh. I complained to the waitress. At first she did not seem to want to do anything about it, but finally went back to the kitchen, and returned with a choice for me: reduce the price of the item to 1/2, or get something else substituted for it. By this time my appetite was ruined, so I took the price reduction.

My wife ordered Kung Pao chicken. It was really average.

Service was just OK, and the price was definitely too high for what we got.

I have lived in Thailand, and I know what good Thai food is. Unfortunately, these people don't. (Chiang Mai is a city in the north of Thailand, by the way.)

We will not be returning to this restaurant, which was a big disappointment to us.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Seat 1C, Delta Airlines
“Overrated - not sure how this place survives - Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Even at #84 out of 400, this place is way overrated and must be supported by students at Willy street people that "don't get out much". While I have had my eye on visiting this place over the last ten years since moving to Madison, last Friday was the first time I had the opportunity to after Bandung was not available.

The setting was sterile. The service was - at best - apologetic, and waited FOREVER for drinks and food, even to be acknowledged. Any of the fried appetizers are to be avoided - often a favorite for us. The fried calamari was small, bland, using only the cheapest leftover slices of the squid. All of them had a horridly bad aftertaste, typically what I find from reused oil. The noodle dish, which I waited anxiously for based on previous reviews, might have been good, but it was cold by the time it arrived so at best was mediocre.

Overall, not sure what the draw is here. The ownership clearly is stingy on the ingredients, staffing level, and decor. And the prices aren't bargain portrayed. Hate to say this but PF Chang's is better.

• Visited May 2011