“Himal” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Wisconsin
“Himal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The quality of the ingredients is high, testified to by my scads of food sensitivities. The Aushak, a favorite of ours, is delicious and the kebobs have whole chunks of meat, instead of the ground meat which some restaurants fill with fat. It's pleasure to dine here!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Midwest
“Better than Nepal iteself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I’d walked past Himal Chuli several times on various trips to Madison, but never stopped to eat. On my last trip, my son picked it for our State Street lunch spot. Glad we did – the food was delicious.

My son had the combination platter – momos, samosa, roti and dal soup. I had the palungo saag.

I’ve eaten Nepalese food in Nepal, and I can say our lunch was better than anything I had in Kathmandu or the Khumbu.

Visited August 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Perfect Proportions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I got a chicken dish and my husband ordered a beef one. I enjoyed mine and it was the perfect amount of food for me. However, my husband did not enjoy his as much as I did. I think it was just personal preference or lack thereof with the spices that were used in the dish. It was a busy summer night but we still had decent service. I would return here again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orange County, New York
“Something Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I journeyed into this restaurant after a long day of checking out Madison. We're big fans of Indian food so we thought we'd give it a try. I went Vegetarian while my husband had chicken. All of the food was very fresh and though beans are a prominent ingredient the food felt light and refreshing on a hot summer day. If you're looking to encounter something new give this place a try. The staff was very helpful in pointing us to dishes we could try and even when I decided to journey away from the most popular dishes I was very pleased.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, TN
“First time for jackfruit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I always check out the most highly rated vegan friendly restaurants when I travel and this place had some great reviews. It was just a short walk from my hotel on lively State Street. I had to try he curried jackfruit entree, which I had ever had before. My waitress told me that it was a bit like artichoke hearts, which was true, but I thought that it was a bit milder and also the texture somewhat meatier. The spice blend was outstanding. I will definitely be looking to buy and experiment with some jackfruit when I get home!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere