“Unevenly cooked steak” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Madison, Wisconsin
“Unevenly cooked steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I had reservations for Sunday night to celebrate our anniversary. The atmosphere was great. Dark wood everywhere and wonderful music playing, although we had to ask the waitress to shut off the fan sitting on the floor right next to our table on a bizarrely chilly summer evening. I will eat a steak about once or twice a year and enjoy it, but admit that I want it well done, no pink and blood please. Other area steak houses have gotten it perfect every time. I ordered my 8 oz filet well done. The waitress clarified "no pink, right?" and I told her yes. An artful crudité was placed at our table, as was a terrific plate of various breads. Our food arrived and my husband's was good. My steak, upon first eating it, was overcooked on one end and rather dry. Once I got to the middle, it was pink/red. I told the waitress it was cooked unevenly and red, and she had them cook it more. She was not apologetic about it, which I expected her to be. When I got it back (not too much later, thankfully) I cut into it and once again, there was red. When the waitress stopped by to ask how it was I said that it still was not perfect, but that was ok as I was getting kind of full anyway. She asked if I was sure and acted annoyed with me. She then offered brusquely to buy me dessert. All in all, the food was good, despite the steak, and the service was so-so. Perhaps just an off night? I know I am unusual in requesting a well done steak, but I do expect a steak house to know how to cook that properly.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Madison, WI
“Good supper club food, marginal service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I live in the Madison area and have heard about the Tornado Steakhouse for a number of years. Finally, got there with friends. The dinners are expensive, but the steaks were good and cooked to the correct doneness that was ordered. One of our party ordered the pork tenderloin and he said it was dry. I had ordered a baked potato, NO sour cream. So I assumed the whitish compound in the cup next to the potato was butter. It is REALLY dark in the restaurant, so it was impossible to see if it was white or yellow. It was sour cream, but I only discovered this after putting some on the potato and noticing it was NOT melting. When I called the waitress over and asked for a new potato because I had ordered NO sour cream. She argued with me that there was butter on the plate that came with the bread - she implied that I was STUPID for having put the sour cream on my potato, because of course it would be on the side - even though I had explicitly said NO sour cream. Long story made long, after arguing with me for a good minute, she finally agreed to bring me a new potato. Ugh. Then she snatched the crudites off the table without asking if we were done so fast and walked away so fast we could not have asked for her to leave them, I would have eaten the last carrot and olives. Finally, they added a 20% tip for the lousy waitress because we asked for separate checks. And the itemized receipt was a coupon for half off a bottle of wine on our next visit, the horrible waitress took it away with my credit card and did NOT return it with the credit card receipt to sigh. Overall, the good food is far over shadowed by the crappy service and high prices. You are better off at Ruth's Chris or Flemmings. The prices are just as high, but the staff fawn all over their customers...a more satisfying experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Madmen and More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great restaurant with unique 60's vibe. My husband was waiting for Dean Martin to stroll through the door. Martinis are a must. We tried the Martini Au Poivre...but will return to my classic Ketel One Dirty next time. Good wine list and maître d' was knowledgeable and helpful. Food was amazing. I was full after the appetizers, but kept on eating. Definitely will return.

Visited July 2013
Nashville
“Best Steak Ever..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I happened onto this extraordinary steak house while searching for some late night dinner recently. Let's face it, one cannot be too choosy when you finally get around to dinner after most restaurants have closed for the evening, but not the Tornado Room...The menu choices included Rabbit, Roast Duck, Lake Trout, and of course, Steak.. We had a hard time deciding whether to splurge for the 10oz filet, or being frugal, and choosing the 16oz sirloin. The sirloin won out for both of us, and to our surprise, this steak was unmistakably the best steak i've ever had. I can only imagine what the filet would have been like. The staff was also very friendly, and made sure that all our needs were met. This will be our first choice when visiting Madison in the future, and would cheerfully encourage others to visit the Tornado Room as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
champaign,illinois
“A Great Super Club in Downtown Wisconsin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This Past weekend my wife, daughter and her husband had a wonderful meal at the Tornado Restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was equally good. It is always great to go to a Super Club in Wisconsin, because everything is. included. We had a relish tray, great variety of bread, an excellent salad and the main course with a vegetable or various kinds of starch.. I had the prime rib and it was cooked to perfection and it was huge. The rest of my family enjoyed their filets cooked to perfection. Being from Illinois I enjoyed their Brandy Old Fashion Sweet. It seems that the super clubs in this state really know how to make them. This is the first time at this restaurant, but we will be going their again next year when we attend the Art Fair in the Square. Be sure to make reservations in advance as it was packed. A neat thing that they do as most good restaurants do, is they stagger their reservations so your wait staff has plenty of time to give excellent service. This was truly a five star super club and steak house.

• 5 of 5 stars Food