“Late night fine dining” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Milwaukee
“Late night fine dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you want a good meal after a Badger game, the Tornado is the spot. Pork with cherry sauce is awesome as is the steak, and it really takes you back in time....i'd imagine it's like an old Rat Pack Vegas Supper Club.

Visited November 2011

82% Recommend
Madison, Wisconsin
“Try Corral Room after 10:00 PM, make sure to have the steak fries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Following the pride block party this year, we decided to try the Corral Room beneath the Tornado Room, offering slightly a less formal menu and a decided trip back in time...I'm thinking 1950's Vegas, though obviously I wasn't around then. You have to wait until 10:00 PM for them to open, which is now late night for us. Sooo....

The partner has been drinking Old Fashioned’s lately, and he did not enjoy the Corral Room version...I think it had something to do with being made with cognac instead of brandy. Tasted like turpentine to me, but I don't like Old Fashioned. Everyone else in the place seemed to like them though, I should note. I had a Cucumber/mint infused cocktail which was fine. I don't know that I'd order it again.

For eats, we ordered the blue cheeseburger, which was sublime, and the steak sandwich was a perfect representation of their reputation for beef. We ordered both steak fries and onion rings, which came with an assortment of sauces (as they should...am I at home or what?), each better than the last. Obviously, there was enough to feed a family of 4 in sides.

The service was very sketchy. We got cocktails almost immediately, along with the food menu. Then it was about 15 minutes before we were able to order food, and the poor waitress obviously had to go upstairs (to the kitchen) to place and pick up orders. Probably not the most thought out system. If I were upstairs paying actual Tornado Room prices I would have been irritated regarding the delays, but instead, we chose to be amused. I mean really, for the quality you're getting, a little iffy service isn't too much to put with. She was very sweet when she was around.

All in all, I'd say great value, and without doubt, the best steak fries in the world. There was a fairly significant number of intoxicated people there, some of which I believe had some sort of party going earlier. I saw balloons, so I guess people do such things still. The party seemed to have broken down into groups of two or 3 people arguing at various decibels, so the noise level would be annoying if you were looking for something quiet.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Most Amazing Steaks in Madison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Some of the best steak I've ever had in my life. Topped with a golden,crispy onion ring, the steaks have a tasty coating of seasoning that crisps on the outside but always perfectly cooked as ordered on the inside. The wedge salad is out of this world with huge blue cheese crumbles. Hash browns are a must-do, for the healthier option get the asparagus which is also deelish.

Visited March 2012
“Great Steakhouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed a delicious filet mignon cooked to perfection! Friendly and helpful service; western ambiance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Bad service, bad appetizers, ok steak.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

The service was terrible. The appetizers(escargo) were not good. The bread was hard. Drinks and food took forever to arrive. Steak was decent but it took almost 2 hours to get. Not worth the price.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere