“Great cocktails; high prices” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Etoile Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 775 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Washington
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great cocktails; high prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a very nice restaurant with good food and service. It has a very impressive cocktail service with very unusual combinations and liquors. The food uses local ingredients and is similarly top-notch. The issue is price. Some of the cocktails are very reasonable (around $12) but a few were $20 - I don't think I've seen those prices in New York or Vegas. Some of the entrees were also very high (around $50). I really liked the place, but the prices are an issue.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ann Arbor
“Big City quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Maybe it's because Madison is a state capitol, but this restaurant far exceeded expectations for fine dining. It could have been a much more expensive meal, but we were not that hungry and we all opted for two first courses. Nevertheless, these came with an amuse bouche and a small taste of cold soup. I had the smoked salmon and the local greens salad. Both delicious, but my companions really scored with the risotto. Get the salmon, but share it and order the risotto! The wine list was lovely, with the by-the-glass options to be quite nice without needing to order a whole bottle if your table has different preferences as mine did. The staff were very professional with out being stuffy. I'd go again and get the full experience next time!

Note that this restaurant is the same building with the much busier "Graze." We couldn't get in there and in the end were quite happy that "'L'Etiole had open tables... You don't have to spend a fortune to eat well here.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milton, Wisconsin
“Girls Night out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I made reservations on our way back from Wolershine Winery. They asked if I had any food allergies when making the reservation!!! What a GREAT idea!! I am gluten free, so very much appreciated this! My food sensitivity was confirmed when we were seated! Our waiter, Patrick, did a very nice job! I was the designated driver, or would have loved to have tried the wine flights offered. Enjoyed listening to the wine steward as he brought wine to other tables. The view is nice as others have said, looking directly to the capitol. The pre-appetizer was very thinly sliced apples with a nice sauce. The appetizer was a salad with cold veal. Both were great! We both ordered steak for dinner, which was delicious! The desserts were just OK... the flourless cake was displayed beautifully on the plate, but lacked taste. My girlfriend tried the creme brule, but didn't care for it. It was fun to try a new venue! I am very pleased that they us locally sourced ingredients!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Felt E'lite at L'Etoile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We have had 3 excellent meals at L'Etoile. The view of the Capitol out the front window is beautiful. They use only locally sourced ingredients for their offerings, which changes daily. They have one of the best wine selections in the city with excellent staff knowledge. Because the menu changes frequently, I will just say that we have never had a meal that wasn't wonderfully prepared and presented by a very attentive staff. A few of our exceptional offerings have been Lettuce Soup w/fried chicken, Beet Salad and superb Steaks. Worth the price.

• Visited May 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“The best restaurant in Madison!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

And one of the best I've dined at in the US. A balance of great food, service, and atmosphere, where the staff take real care to give you a perfect dining experience!

• Visited April 2014