“Dont waste your hard earned money!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #369 of 820 restaurants in Madison
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Arpin
“Dont waste your hard earned money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were excited. This is a reputable place. There were 8 of us. The rolls were plain and cheap. The salad was drowning in dressing - it was more like soup than salad. The soup tasted like canned. The steak was overdone, flavorless, totally unseasoned and way over priced. The scallops were gritty beyond being edible and tasted like iron or medicine. Yuck! Super dissapointed and will never be back and will never recommend.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
McFarland, Wisconsin
“Spectacular steaks and a great service too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went here 2/15/13 for Valentine's Day observed and had a fantastic meal. It is pricey, but unlike some of those pretentious steak places near the square that charge the same or even more for a meal ($100-125 for two w/drinks, dessert, tip, tax) and give you a couple little bites to eat, at Smokey's you get your money's worth with a delicious huge steak and loads of extras. Had the ribeye and my fiancee had the New York sirloin strip, both huge portions and when we asked for medium, we got medium, and both were excellent cuts. Got the mushrooms added on and got a generous portion heaped over the steak. It all came with a great salad, clam chowder soup, baked potato, bread & relish tray. Also ordered a brandy old-fashioned which was nice and strong. Service was impeccable, extremly fast in bringing us every course and very courteous and friently. Only knock is that it could use some remodeling, especially in the bathrooms which seemed very out-dated and old.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“$130 for absolute garbage. Go anywhere else if you have any taste buds.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had heard amazing things about smoky's club for quite some time and decided to give it a go for Valentines day. What a truly awful experience. We had 8pm reservations and were told they would call us when our table was ready. What they didn't tell us was they were running about 30 to 40 minutes behind. We decided to go to the bar and get one of their "famous" martinis. We waited almost 20 minutes before being served at the bar (it wasn't busy enough to warrant that) We had a creamsicle and a pomegranate martini. There was no balance of flavor just an obnoxious amount of alcohol and very little else. Not to mention the two drinks totaled $20. Once we finally got our table our waiter introduced himself (his name was Peter) and then he abruptly left in the middle of his introduction. After waiting another 15 minutes for him to return we placed our order and waited some more. He told us the soup of the day was shrimp soup (turns out they switched to vegetable minestrone and no one told us). We both ordered our steaks medium rare. We've read reviews of the plates being too hot and cooking the steak to much. Our steaks were to raw to even be considered rare and our plates were ice cold. Peter (the worlds worst waiter) didn't bother to check how our food was or to see if we needed anything. Not a single dish of ours was seasoned. We has to dump obscene amounts of salt to have any flavor because apparently the cooks didn't feel like doing their jobs. Once Peter dropped off the check we paid right away. Even though we had lousy service ask night Peter managed to pick up the check in less then a minute. All in all we paid $130 for two crappy steaks, salads, soups, a baked potato and a hash brown plus two garbage drinks. I would've been happier at McDonalds were at least I would've paid what the food was worth.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Known for their steaks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Smokey's Club has been known in Madison for many years for it's good steaks. It's on the pricy side, but good. The restaurant itself is not that great looking but good nonetheless.

Middleton, Wisconsin
“Disappointed Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I ate at Smoky's probably 15 years ago because it was supposed to be the place to go. We were disappointed then and even more now. Maybe I have been watching too many food network shows, but wow does this place need an update. The best thing about our experience this time is that we had a $20 coupon. They start you out with a relish of carrots, celery and radishes. Then came bread which was warm but dried out. We received our salads which were okay but limited dressing choices. The soup course was either potato soup or tomato juice. I ordered a 5 oz filet medium rare and 2 shrimp. My first steak was tasty but cooked more medium than medium rare. The plate was so hot that the steak kept cooking and by the time I ate my third bite the rest of the steak was well done. My server was attentive and happily replaced my steak with a new one. This one was bigger and cooked more medium rare but again the plate was so hot that by the time I cut it in half to see if it was cook properly I soon had a well done steak. The shrimp was inedible. Way overdone and not seasoned. My husband had the pork chops and they were just okay. I feel that when my bill is over $70 (we both had one glass of wine) that I shouldn't have to eat on a plastic table cloth with paper napkins. The shrimp sauce was served in a paper cup. Three servers were sitting at a table in the dining area of the bar. We had good intentions to give Smoky's another try after our first lack luster experience, but wish that we would have listened to our instincts and picked a different restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to Smoky's Club? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Smoky's Club, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.