“Way Over Rated” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Way Over Rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I'd been wanting to go to Smokey's Club in Madison, Wisconsin for quite some time; ever since reading about it from an associate editor of a national publication extolling it's greatness . After his recommendation and purusing Smokey's web site and reading the glowing reveiws from their own site, I decided to take my wife there on our 41st wedding aniversary. We both were looking forward to a fantastic dinner. When they brought the steaks out on those very hot metal plates and the way they sizzle you practically salivate like Pavlov's dog. Well, what a disappointment. My steak, a New York cut and my wife's steak, a rib eye, were both the most tastless steaks we've ever eaten. We were completely flabergasted. I actually checked the web site and address again when I got home thinking I may have gone to the wrong Smokey's. Nope. Then I went back and looked at all the favorable reviews on their web site. Most were written in the 1990's. Apparently the quallity of their steaks has dimisished considerably. It wasn't that they tasted bad, they just had NO taste. All you were eating was bulk. They had the look and texture of steak but both steaks were absolutely tasteless. I salted mine three times and my wife would have loved to smoother hers with ketchup but was too reserved to do so thinking she would be insulting the restaurant. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

McFarland, Wisconsin
“steaks, steaks, steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

renowned steak house. has received many awards. Pricey, but if you're a meat eater, you are sure to enjoy.

Visited November 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“long awaited disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I graduated from UW in '79 and Smoky's was always said to be #1. I finally had the chance to go there with another friend who travels and dines out extensively. We have both been in the restaurant business for many years. While I had a courteous person answer the phone and take our reservations and a very warm welcome, I can't brag about anything else. Yes, crisp crudites on ice but no dip or any other supper club extras. Waitress was okay but not overly attentive even though we were the first table in. Another couple had to ask for service after sitting for over 10 minutes without attention in a not very busy room. I was so looking forward to a great steak which I only enjoy once a month. They had prime rib so I splurged. It was good, but not even one of the best I've had. The homemade 1,000 Island was watery without any islands. Bread was fine. clam chowder was very good. The hash browns were the best thing served. I had the small prime and my friend ordered the large one to take a hunk home to her husband. She had almost 1/4 of the weight in fat. After later talking to another friend who went there in the '80s, she also expressed her feeling that it was merely mediocre, not fantastic. Too bad. They must be doing something right to stay in business this long but it wasn't happening on my visit.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“original steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

great steak house the locals love, abit small in space but large in flavor and well worth the wait .

Chicago, Illinois
“major downer....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

we are out of town and looking for a good to great dinner in madison....so i read all the reviews on smokeys and i proudly said to the wife and daughter smokeys is our place....I GOT SMOKED..for $100.00 u.s....the relish tray was ice, whole radishes and green onions,what do you with that...i ordered pork chops that i could hardly cut with my knife(you do get 2) i only ate one..the other ended up at the hotel garbage...could not even chew it .....NO SEASONINGS WHAT SO EVER,I KEPT POURING SALT AND PEPPER AND SAUCES LIKE A-1,did not help AT ALL...the women both ordered filet/shrimp combo...the breading on the shrimp fell off and again no flavor at all...their steaks where something i could cook at home..(hard to screw up a filet) never go back.i got smoked..and very upset...afterward got a sandwich at grocery store...

• Visited May 2012