“It's a Mirage” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 38 Activities in Madison
4 attraction reviews
“It's a Mirage”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

So disappointing...I wanted a soothing, comforting experience during the coldest snap of winter here; a "steamy wonder" massage package with other add-ons; eye mask and hand paraffin; the staff- from the owner on down- were unprofessional; I called ahead to ask about the package and the spa environment; the receptionist was unprofessional in his demeanor and could not answer my questions having to do with the progression of the treatment; I want to know when I am getting these treatments if the facility is kept warm, since a cold room, or walk down a cold hall is counterproductive to a spa therapy; he arranged for the owner to call me back and answer my questions; she blamed his poor service on his gender (male) and on his being new; she tried to steer me to other services and did not listen too well to what I wanted; against my better judgment I scheduled the service and went. (Hope springs eternal in the desert of a Wisconsin winter)...the staff that gave me the steam treatment was uncommunicative - I expected she would guide me through the steps; as she prepared the steam table, which was like a waterbed frame, she turned and asked me was I going to wear my clothes? I hadn't known that she would remain in the room, thought she'd step out; so I undressed and had to do a naked rockette leg kick to get myself over and into the table - awkward! The footstool was an afterthought placed when I was done with that treatment. The steam tent did not heat up and reach my chilling skin until 20 of the 40 minute treatment had passed; when I told her I was still cold she said, "well this isn't going to be like the sauna in the fitness club." Then between that service and my massage I was given a robe and had to carry all my winter layers of clothes in a basket on my arm to the very cold "relaxation lounge" where I was given an unwieldy blanket after telling the staff that I was painfully cold; another staff asked what type of tea I wanted? I asked for green or anything not fruity and she brought me a fruity flower herb tea; I had hardly started my tea when my massage therapist was ready for me and I was told to bring the blanket, basket of clothes and tea; my robe fell open as I toted all this down the hall. The massage was ok, but the whole of the service was so far below expectation that I chalked this one up as a loss and a lesson; save the ultimate comfort experience for the tried and true; that being another dayspa in Madison - Renu.

Visited January 2013