“Good mea” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 837 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Allen Blvd.
Transit: Bus 70, 72, 8
“Good mea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I ordered a couple of appetizers to serve as a light dinner. The hummus and zaaluk were good, though the mohamara didn't grab us as much as other places we've ordered it. The service seemed to be hit or miss. While very pleasant, our server disappeared about halfway through the meal, and another server ended up stepping in.

Visited May 2014

“Delicious Moroccan cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

When authentic recipes from a far away country are combined with beautiful decor and a very warm welcome every time you visit, you feel the need to return again and again. The Marrakesh is just the restaurant to fill the bill. There is a chicken tangine dish that is my husband's favorite and repeats ordering it, but I like to try a variety. Fish and lamb have been my choices. The lamb was very tender and tasty and the fish was a special for the day and very worth ordering. They have wonderful choices of wines and some very good Moroccan ones. Prices and generous helpings are a plus and the service was great.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A new regular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Last week, my friend and went to Marrakesh for dinner. We walked in just minutes after they opened. We were greeted and seated in what I considered very cozy corner of the restaurant on the right from the entrance, and by the back wall. I instantly got that relaxing ambiance, so much needed after a long day at work. The décor is warm, very nice and inviting; quite different from the unappealing outside, so don’t let this scare you away.
My lamb kabobs, and my friend’s beef tagine were very good – we both agreed on that. We also had mohamara and that really hit the spot! The wine, the baklava was tasty too. I ended up boxing some of the food and took it home. My husband, who generally is not into lamb meat, ate one of my kabobs and really liked it too. I am ready to go back and try other items on the menu 
Hajiba (I am sorry if I misspelled your name) greeted us and was also our waitress. She is an ever smiling chatter box –not the broken record one, just friendly and was going out of her way to content us. It was a real pleasure to talk to her, I enjoyed that very much.
This is not the revolving door, feeding trough type of a place, where your bill is slapped on the table before you are done eating. At Marrakesh you are encouraged to slow down and take your time, enjoy the food and company. I also enjoyed the fact that the owners do take time to talk to you. It is people oriented place and it is true; service is not as fast as some might wish. I see it as a big positive, it is focused on quality not quantity, Please don't change! I am adding Marrakesh to the list of my regular restaurants in Madison.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice waitperson, boring food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We ordered the Sampler Appetizer Plate which had hummus, tabouli and "zaaluk" - an eggplant dip. The zaaluk was just mediocre. The tabouli used cousous instead of bulgur which can be good, but which turned out to be pasty and overcooked, not much parsley or tomatoes, or flavor. The hummus was fair but not as creamy as we like.
We also tried the Makouda - potato croquettes which were filled with spinach. We liked this the best of what of we ordered.
The soup of the day was tomato based with lentils and chickpeas, with a little "kick" of pepper at the end, but otherwise was not very noteworthy.
We wanted to try the falafel, but they told us the deep fryer was broken.
Our waitstaff was friendly and gave us a taste of the sauce, with some rice, for the chicken special of the night - too sweet for us. Had raisins and cinnamon which we sometimes like in Mediterranean food, but this was a little too heavy handed for us.
We think there are other, better, Mediterranean restaurants in Madison.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Consistently good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

And sometimes, excellent. We've eaten there 4-5 times, it's in our neighborhood. Unpretentious but pleasant, nicely decorated surroundings. Varied menu, never have had a bad meal there. The owners recognize us and greet us warmly when we arrive. The lamb and chicken dishes are always tender and flavorful, never over-cooked. We've enjoyed both kabobs and tagines. Companions have enjoyed other dishes, including the bastillas. Highly recommend it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere