“Good service, yummy food, cozy atmosphere, reasonable price.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #376 of 838 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Greek, Fusion
Dining options: Takeout, Delivery
Description: Welcome, friends, and thank you for visiting our profile! Vasilis’ Take Five: Vittles & Vices is a family-owned Greek and fusion food restaurant with a full bar (beer, wine, and spirits for cocktails) located at 901 Williamson “Willy” Street on the near east side of Madison, Wisconsin, just a few short blocks from downtown and the Capitol square. We are at the stoplight on the corner of Willy and Paterson Streets.
wisconsin
“Good service, yummy food, cozy atmosphere, reasonable price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just ate dinner here with friends and we were surprised by the empty dining room. Our bartender and waiter was attentive, the food and drinks were good and the prices were really reasonable. For $80, we had 6 or 7 drinks, four entrees and a shared appetizer platter. The restaurant deserves to have a lot more people dining there!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great food and generous portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Williamson St has some great restaurants, and this one opened about a year ago. Greek food in a relaxed, hip setting. No Greek music in the background, and this place is appropriate for dinner, drinks, late-night, or lunch. In addition to food, they also have a martini menu, and good selection of beer and wine. One thing I appreciate about the menu is that you could easily eat just the fantastic appetizers and be fully satisfied. I'm always looking for a place that has a good bar and appetizer options beyond "fried X" Their small plates/appetizers are real food with real taste. They also have a mouth-watering dessert case, but we had no room left for that.

We ordered the roasted-tomato and feta dip with pita chips to split before the entree. Also features roasted onions, fennel, and garlic Excellent! Hot dip and warm pita slices really hit the spot. I wanted to try all the appetizers, but that will have to wait for another time.

I ordered the Greek lasagna, and my dining companion had the moussaka. She wondered why the moussaka was made with beef instead of lamb. The chef actually came out and explained that they couldn't get ground lamb that was lean enough, so they substituted ground sirloin. It was still very good.

My Greek lasagna was described as "like the moussaka, but with noodles instead of eggplant." It was also very good, but I think it suffered from lack of the eggplant. There also didn't seem to be as much meat in mine. Still, it was very satisfying, and the portions were huge. Even without the appetizer, I couldn't have finished the dish.

Everyone was very attentive and nice. Staff went out of their way to explain the dishes if we asked. There weren't many people in the restaurant on the Saturday evening we visited, but I think everyone was outdoors or enjoying some of the other great eateries in the neighborhood. The staff said normally it was busier. I would certainly recommend this place and will return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Time out on the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The food was interesting. My wife had a more traditional beef kebab which was acceptable. Unlike other Mediterranean restaurants we've been to in Madison, the meat was tender and not overcooked. But there was nothing exceptional about the plate. I had the leg of lamb dinner which was more interesting. It was served with a lemon (who serves lamb with lemon?), potatoes, and a carrot puree garnishment. It was different - but I can't say it was bad. Both plates were a tad skimpy on the portions as both of us were still hungry after finishing are food.

The decor was interesting with fake brink walls that showed the screws, bordering on kitschy.

The service was poor. It was busy - almost every table was full as it was Friday night in the neighborhood. We had to wait forever for our check after asking for it and had to remind the waitress. Others were unhappy with their service as we saw at least one table leave because their order was never taken. And the wait staff had to give lots of apologies.

All that being said, I would probably eat here again. Hopefully, the service issues will be remedied.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Special Early Valentine Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our first visit. I didnt know there had been a new Greek restaurant in the Madison metro for a year! The ambience was fine, with a 'fireplace' sun or shade. The waiter had time to advise us on everything little thing we asked, and he did well, too. He steered me to a wine from Spain that I liked and seemed full of background on Spanish wines with an emphasis on organic. With his advice, I ordered leg of llamb. I was concerned I'd get a tiny portion but it was huge!
I thought the dish was too salty but not enough to refuse it. I didnt want the unannounced green beans so he quickly made me a vegetable medly with some asparagus included. There was a large serving of potatoes. My partner had chicken gyros and was pleased. Service was great in every way, right at lunch hour on a weekday.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A neighborhood gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Take Five is a lovely local eclectic restaurant with a Greek take. Located in the heard of the Willy Street neighborhood, the restaurant is homey and offers wonderful comfort food at reasonable prices.

My husband had potato croquettes (pancakes) as an appetizer. Three came to the plate, enough for sharing. The pancakes were garnished with some light aoli.

One of my sons had the leg of lamb, which came with a carrot purée and pan roasted potatoes. My other son had a traditional gyro with home made fries. I had a Greek salad with lamb slices and tzaziki sauce. My husband had moussaka and I could smell the cinnamon from across the table.

Deserts were luscious, including an espresso cake.

There is a wine and beer list as well.

Great prices and great service.

• Visited February 2013