“Naples comes to the North” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Madison, Indiana
“Naples comes to the North”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I grew up in the Italian neighborhood of South Philadlephia where there was an abundance of satisfying but standard Italo-American restaurants serving hearty though heavy comfort food. Naples 15 does not belong in this familiar category. It is the realization of a dream of its owner and chef, Salvatore di Scala to produce a really authentic and sophisticated Neapolitan restaurant in the United States. Madison is blessed to have such a place. It would be difficult to find anything as uncompromisingly genuine and excellent in some of our much larger cities.

The restaurant got off to a somewhat bumpy start over a year ago, with problems in the organization of the wait staff and the timely production of the food. But now the place has really hit its stride, like a musical group which after a time plays together tightly.

The food is glorious. Only the best ingredients are used and chef Salvatore is a master cook, an artist in the kitchen, and a warm-hearted host who creates a unique and unforgettable atmosphere.

Later in my life I had the privilege of working on and off for a total of about five years in Italy where I really got to know Italian cuisine first hand. Naples 15 gives you the feel and taste of eating in Italy. It's a local place that takes you on a far-reaching trip that shouldn't be missed. Buon viaggio!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Madison, Wisconsin
“Naples 15 is a Delight in Downtown Madison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Chef and owner Sal prepared our group of 18 a 5-Star, 5-course luncheon. This is genuine Italian cooking. Each course was more delicious than the last. Sal is a fabulous and most generaous host. We couldn't ask for more. In fact, we've already scheduled our Holiday Luncheon there.

Thank you Sal!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing owner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The owner personally stopped by and discussed the entire menu with us, recommending wine, appetizers and entrees, and then giving us a dessert for free.

Food was excellent, perfectly paired with wine. Overall an excellent restaurant for a bargain!

Only downside, our server was just terrible. She seemed brand new to the restaurant and to serving. Other servers stepped in and so did the owner though.

Visited October 2013
“Hopeworthy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

For some reason I really wanted to love this place. Maybe it was because it was our anniversary. I did love the look of the menu and the menu itself. I loved the idea that the chef insisted on doing all the preparation, except that is not so good when the orders get backed up. I liked the gateau appetizer that was recommended by our candid waiter. I probably made a personal mistake going with the spinach salad with orange and feta since I am not crazy about citrus salads, but when I got spinach soaked in citrusy soup with 3 chunks of what looks like lemon rinds that made the spinach and feta irrelevant I complained to our sympathetic waiter. I loved the linguini with puttanesca. I go for puttanesca, and this was a very robust production with a rich San Marzano tomato sauce (San Marzano being featured in many offerings). However, I did not like black olives with pits and without flavor. My wife liked the scallops and prawns. The location is on the ground floor of a relatively new apartment building. It is modest inside although features white table cloth. We chose one of the few tables outside because it was an ideal evening, but there is otherwise no reason for that. So, I do want this place to work. There is something that tells me it can be special, but I will have to return to find that hope fulfilled.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Verona, Wisconsin
“High Hopes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The reviews of Naples 15 had such amazing reviews. It was a complete let down. The atmosphere was nothing special. Our sever was horrible. We had never been there before. It would have been nice to had some suggestions or maybe a run through of the famous dishes. I asked her opinion between two dishes, and she said the risotto is pretty good! she never came back to check on us once. We were drinking wine. There was a bug in mine, as I was getting it out, she asked what was in it, I said a bug. She said, oh the windows are open, not could I get you a new one or I'm sorry. I usually like to have a couple glasses of wine or maybe a water refill, not here. I also hear rave reviews about the owner. He did stop by to see how our food was. The food was nothing to brag about here. We had the margarita pizza, the sauce was amazing, the best part of the experience. My guest had the neapolitan pasta, which was tasty. I had the risotto with clams, mussels, and shrimp, it was extremely bland. We may have caught Naples 15 on a bad night, I would not recommend it to anyone I knew. It is definitely not worth the money. It was the worst service I have had in a while!

• Visited August 2012