“Gorgeous location, good atmosphere but that's where it ends!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 820 restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Wise is a great meeting place for lunch, cocktails and evening dining. We host a number of events and neighborhood gatherings each month as well serving our plated weekend brunch on Saturday and Sundays. Seasonal food and drink menus focus on area producers, farmers and ranchers. Badger fans love the view of Camp Randall stadium and the Vilas/Monroe Street area is an amazing part of town! Stop in and see us for William Hill Wednesday with LIVE music by Patrick Ferguson and $5 glasses of William Hill wine.
Cottage Grove, Wisconsin
“Gorgeous location, good atmosphere but that's where it ends!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had dinner here tonight and found the menu limited and the food ridiculously miniscule and expensive. I ordered the duck and wish I would have taken a picture of this dish. There was about 2 tbps. of a cranberry relish, literally 6 pieces of baby asparagus no more than 3 inches in length and two small dry pieces of duck breast that could not have weighed more than 3 ozs. combined. It seriously looked like 2 half size pieces of biscotti. I am a petite woman but left hungry. The restaurant was virtually empty yet we waited a long time for our food. My friend had the lamb chops and thought they were tastless and dry. I am a Madison resident and was so pleased when this hotel opened. It's fine for a swanky drink and maybe an overpriced appetizer to go with the ambiance but there are so many better restaurants in this beautiful city.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
4Peggyo, Manager at The Wise, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
My name is John Bauer and I am the chef here at The Wise. I would like to apologize for what was obviously a terrible experience here at our restauant. We take pride in our small, shared plate style menu and there is no excuse for for us having let you down with our offerings. I take your feedback very seriously and will do my best to see that no other guests are subject to such failures in the future. Please contact me directly if there is anything else that I can do to make ammends for this unfortunate disappointment.

John Bauer
Executive Chef

89% Recommend
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Urban Chic on Regent Street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Love The Wise. Have been to Hotel Red several times for different occasions and the apps & drinks are wonderful and the atmosphere is divine. It really offers a unique setting with a great view of Camp Randall across the street. Been here for a 40th birthday celebration where the couple rented a room and had apps delivered to the party (the rooms are VERY cool), a B-Cycle event (great beer selection) and a friend & I enjoyed a beautiful day on the patio sipping vino and noshing on the divine hand cut fries w/ailoi sauce. Service is always excellent. I'm hitting it again tonight w/friends for Happy Hour and plan to get the hubby there for dinner soon. There's a B-Cycle station across the street, so perfect Date Night Spot! Park at Hotel Red, then bike via the bike path and take a spin around the lake, then head back and enjoy a wonderful dinner at The Wise. You'll be wiser for it!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“The Wise and The Witty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had lunch at the Wise one fall day in Madison. The atmosphere is open and people watching friendly. I had the Chili and honey chicken sandwich, it was fantastic. So many different flavors melded together, made my taste buds dance. I would of never imagined chicken sandwich with :Chili, Honey, Pear etc.... Brilliant. The ingredients on the menu are locally produced. Service fantastic (you can tell the staff actually has fun at work). Can wait for my old friend to invite me back so we can eat at the Wise again. Iwill try the Duck nachos next time, they looked excellant. The Gm Jason I think his name was, even took the time to show me and my lunch partner one of their beuatiful corner suites overlooking Monroe st and Camp Randall. I can only imagine how much fun it is there during football season. Go Badgers!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Great Desserts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We have tried several desserts at The Wise and all were delicious. The local paper included chef John Bauer's recipe for an olive oil cake that we also have now made at home - amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, FL
“This is Hotelred's Restaurant - Exellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The server recommended their fresh catch, grilled scallops, coconut rice with a light curry sauce. First let me say I'm not a big fan of curry but do like seafood so I went with this and was not sorry. Preparation was excellent and curry very subtle as it should be. Wish I stayed longer just to try other menu items. I also had a bloody ivan, very good drink.

Visited November 2012
4Peggyo, Manager at The Wise, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We appreciate any and all feedback from our guests and are always happy when they've had a great experience. I'm especially glad that you enjoyed the scallop special. Our team works very hard to please each and every guests and they will surely appreciate your kind words. We hope to see you again!
-John Bauer, Executive Chef

Been to The Wise? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Wise, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.