“A wonderful hotel in Madison” 5 of 5 stars

Dahlmann Campus Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Langdon St, Madison, WI 53704   |
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Wayne, New Jersey
“A wonderful hotel in Madison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were in Madison for a long-weekend visit and football game, initially staying at the Lowell Center, when our flight to the east coast was cancelled due to Hurrican Sandy. As the Lowell could not accommodate us, we walked across the street and secured a room at the Campus Inn--an experience that quickly reminded us that some clouds indeed have silver linings. As previously stated, the location and rooms are superb. In addition, the hotel offers free parking on-site or cab service to and from the airport and free breakfast in the morning and free appetizers in the bar at night. What distinguishes this hotel even more, however, is its staff. Due to the circumstances, we ended up staying five nights, extending our visit as our flights were repeatedly cancelled. Aware that we were stranded and concerned about the situation at home, the staff could not have been more gracious or generous--genuinely friendly while displaying incredible professionalism. Special thanks to Lindsey, Marcus, Paul and Stephen for their empathy, help and advice. Our stay was a wonderful experience and we offer our sincere thanks. Simply stated, If you are going to Madison, stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GM-The_Campus_Inn, General Manager at Dahlmann Campus Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay. I know you must have had many other priorities upon your return home, and I apprciate your very nice compliments regarding our staff and our hotel. I've passed your comments and gratitude on to the staff members you mentioned.

I was delighted to know that our staff made you feel so at home in Madison - providing a "silver lining" to your experience was the least we could do under the circumstances. I sincerely hope that your situation at home, beyond the extensive flight delays, was not significantly impacted by the hurricane.

We'll be glad to see you again upon your return to Madison.

Bill Wellman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Over the years, I have stayed at many of the hotels on campus, and this year I have stayed at the Campus Inn 3 times. This is the ONLY place I will ever stay from now on. Location is awesome, but that only gets you so far...the rooms, general areas, staff and the bar! The bar on gameday is fantastic. It is a real joy to wake up, go hang in the sunny bar and let Ted entertain you, and enjoy a FREE breakfast! I can't say enough how everything here is perfect--location, facilities, staff and room are perfect. Oh, as an added bonus, they have parking right there on location, and FREE.

Room Tip: See if you can get a goom on the second floor and avoid the elevators. Or, get a room up gigh and s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GM-The_Campus_Inn, General Manager at Dahlmann Campus Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty ! I'm glad to hear you've had such great experiences while staying with us and have decided to always make us your home while in Madison. Your comments regarding the hotel and our staff are appreciated and have been shared with our staff and owners. We strive for perfection and we're glad you feel we've succeeded!

We're looking forward to welcoming you back next time.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I visit Madison once a year, primarily for business, and for over 12-years running have stayed at the Campus Inn. The staff always recognize me as a return visitor. The location couldn't be better for business, regardless of whether it be downtown or in the suburbs. Parking is on site and FREE. The hot breakfast in the morning and hors d'oeuvres and cocktails in the evenings are perfect for a typical business schedule. Proximity to downtown restaurants is convenient.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable. You can open the windows to take in the sounds of students hustling to and from classes( or partying), or close the windows and block out all exterior sounds.
This is a fine hotel and a fine location!

Room Tip: The quietest rooms face west.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GM-The_Campus_Inn, General Manager at Dahlmann Campus Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your loyalty over so many years. I'm glad you enjoyed your most recent visit and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and everything we offer. We pride ourselves on the type of personalized service you experience at each visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

southwest Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

What a delightful stay we had on a recent trip to Madison! The location is ideal - close to State St., UW Memorial Union, Lake Mendota, the capital and more! The decor is lovely. We had a airy, comfortable room and the service was top-notch. I LOVED the free breakfast in the morning! Overall, the Dahlmann Campus Inn is great value. I look forward to my next stay there and will recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GM-The_Campus_Inn, General Manager at Dahlmann Campus Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for the very nice comments regarding your stay with us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Madison and that our location was so convenient for you.

We're looking forward to your next stay as well, and sincerely appreciate your recommending us to your friends. I assure you'll we'll take great care of them as well!

Billl Wellman
Hotel Canal/Walter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Dahlmann Campus Inn while attending a wedding on campus this summer. Walked everywhere from the Farmers' Market around the capital to various local restaurants and the UofW's wonderful Student Union setting along Lake Mendota.

Our hotel room was lovely; king-size comfortable bed, pretty furnishings. Front desk staff was helpful with directions for our trip to Taliesin.

Only (small) complaint was the breakfast service--had to wait for coffee and for scrambled eggs to be replenished both mornings. Otherwise, a terrific experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GM-The_Campus_Inn, General Manager at Dahlmann Campus Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your very positive review! I'm glad to know that our location, your guest room, and our front desk staff created such a positive experience and a memorable weekend for you. I'm glad you had a chance to experience Taliesin - it is one of the many wonderful attractions in the Madison area that make it such a great place to visit.

I've addressed your comments regarding the waits for coffee and scrambled eggs at breakfast with our Food and Beverage Manager - your observations will help us improve our guests' experience during our busiest times.

Again, thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Barneveld, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed last month, and had a wonderful time. I didn't known there was such a charming, boutique-style hotel in the heart of Madison! First, the location is BRILLIANT: a half-block off State St (but not on it, so quiet), 1 block from Lake Mendota, and few blocks to campus. Second, it is absolutely beautiful - wood-paneled elevators, gorgeous carpeting, etc. Third, very kind, friendly staff. A very well managed hotel.

This must surely be one of the best hotels in Madison, and without doubt one of the best deals.

The only tweak I would suggest: two television screens in the bar/lounge is too much. One's enough. I'd like the option of not facing a TV when I have breakfast, or a drink.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the suites - lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location, value, and service to exceed your expectations. I've passed your compliments regarding our staff and management to our entire team.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the televisions in the Chancellor's Club; we're happy to accommodate our guests' requests regarding the atmosphere of this area and will make sure to address your preferences on your next visit.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - I look forward to welcoming you back when your future travel plans find you back in Madison.

Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Dahlmann Campus Inn for a weekend, the property is nice, and has kept up well despite it's age. Not much of it is updated but none of it seems worn out though it has quite a bit of age. The public areas smell of smoke a bit but the rooms do not. My room was quite small by my standards as an extremely frequent traveler. The bed was okay at best, it had an old mattress but was comfortable enough. The bathroom is equally dated but functional. The service was VERY good. Everyone I spoke to was extremely nice and were more than happy to help out. The property comes with free garage parking but it is very cramped. If you have a large car you better be VERY good at parking it. Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Dahlmann Campus Inn. It's location is very very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GM-The_Campus_Inn, General Manager at Dahlmann Campus Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I'm glad you had a good stay and appreciated the hotel, our complimentary parking, and our location. I've passed your very complimentary impressions of our service to our staff - it means allot to know that their personalized attention is appreciated.

Our upscale European-style decor lends itself to a classic, timeless feel that we work hard to maintain and I'm glad you found it to your liking, overall. Please note that our guest rooms vary in size, and if you would prefer a larger room, please let us know and we will do all we can to accommodate you in the future.

Until your note, I've not heard that our public areas smell of smoke and I must assume there may have been a smoker near one of our lobby entrances to cause that - please accept my apologies for that - the entire hotel is smoke free and we will pay close attention to this situation.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bill Wellman

Been to Dahlmann Campus Inn? Share your experiences!