“Great Little Neighborhood Italian Joint...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #165 of 770 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian
Madison
“Great Little Neighborhood Italian Joint...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Luigi's was opened in early 2013, but when you go in you feel like you are in an old, well established, very friendly, well managed and staffed Italian Joint. There is a nice little wine list, good selection of beer. The pizza is very good. The Italian specialties and sandwiches are delicious and prices are neighborhood reasonable. It's not a white table cloth place, but what really good neighborhood joints are? Expect to be in company with the neighborhood 3 year old who may not be too happy with his mother's selection of places to be...

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Madison, Wisconsin
“Neighborhood oriented, very tasty pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Excellent crust and trendy, nicely created topping combinations. Small dining room has a nice casual ambiance, with reasonable prices.

Elm Grove, WI
“Used To Be Better. Still Good Taste Though. Noisy. Stressful.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went on a Thursday, cold rainy April night earlier (@ 5:30 pm). It started filling up already with people and their loud, unruly kids. I was seated in this smaller venue after being greeted, albeit not right away. I remember when their downtown location near the Capitol building was much more attentive in 1997/98'ish. Anyway, I was in the mood for a chicken pasta dish that had a cream based sauce they once had. That was delicious. It was no longer on their menu. Apparently, they still had their variety of scrumptious looking pizza's, a couple few panini sandwiches and maybe a couple few pasta dishes. They never had an expansive menu but they had some definitely good tasting pasta dishes. After sitting there for quite some time feeling that my waiter and the other staff just had seemed to buzz by me ignoring me, I had just wanted to eat and leave. I did, after the waiter had taken my money and accidentally shorted me in my change.
Not sure I'll go back in that rush hour HWY 12 (Beltline highway) traffic.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Fabulous pizza in a local and neighborhood restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We love this place! Great variations on pizza that are interesting and delicious. Most pizza places just heap on more toppings. Not Luigus. Just finished the roasted mushroom and truffle oil and am in heaven. We have loved the Bada Bing too. It's a little cozy neighborhood place. Big on families so the prices are very reasonable. Try it.

Beloit, Wisconsin
“Excellent Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I ate the best pizza at Luigi's last night! We started our meal with the spinach-artichoke dip and the fredo sticks. The dip was the best I have ever had in a restaurant. The fredo sticks were dough sticks with a white sauce topped with crunchy pork belly and herbs. They were very good! Before our pizza was served my husband and I split a small tossed salad with bits of butternut squash and crunchy pumpkin seeds. Then came the pizza! We shared a bada-bing pizza. It was excellent! The crust was fresh made topped with white sauce, bacon, bits of asparagus and caramelized onions. So Good! The pizza is baked in a brick oven and you can taste a hint of the smokiness. It was so good that we ordered a chicken pizza to take home with us. The only criticism I have is that the restaurant itself is small. We had to wait for 30 minutes for a table and they don't have a great waiting area. That's what we get for visiting on a Saturday night at 6:00 pm. It was worth the wait!!!

• Visited February 2013