“Splendid hotel with superb staff” 5 of 5 stars

HotelRED
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1501 Monroe Street, Madison, WI 53711   |
Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Madison
Guelph, Canada
“Splendid hotel with superb staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed at HotelRED for a personal getaway of a few days in Madison. This boutique hotel was everything I had hoped it would be, and even a bit more. I had a king executive room, which was extremely spacious, and had a well-equipped kitchenette and a fantastic bathroom. The multi-jet shower really is worth raving over. The bed was very comfortable, and the wifi worked with no problems. The little extras are what makes it worth coming to this hotel. The bathrobes were plush, and the hotel staff ran a pair of slippers up to my room to keep my feet warm on the cold floors. There is a hotel shuttle that will take you where you need to go within about a 3 mile radius (you do need to pre-book it), which was nice on an evening when I wanted to go downtown for a meal. The one drawback is that it is a bit of a hike to downtown - it is about a 30-40 minute walk to the Capitol building, and about 25 to the UW Madison Union or State street. But there are nice amenities nearby, including Indie Coffee and a Trader Joe's (good for stocking up the in-room fridge). Parking is included, and I never had trouble finding a spot. The chocolates they provided on arrival (from a chocolatier a couple of blocks away) were delicious!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

STILLWATER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Don't be deceived by the exterior. This boutique contemporary hotel is delightfully warm. We were greeted by charming staff who treated all four of us to local gourmet chocolates. The rooms were quiet, and perfect location for us to explore the campus. I imagine during a football game the ambience is different as it sits next to the stadium.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at HotelRED. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the Maurie’s chocolates. We’re very lucky to have such a great local chocolatier so close. I also hope your exploration of UW was successful.

If I can ever help with anything in the future please let me know. Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Bloomington, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We (two couples) came to Madison for the weekend and stayed here. What a great find. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful, including Ethan, one if the chefs, who helped us with our bags and gave us some yummy strawberry cake to sample. Free biking and boating. Comfortable rooms.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank jrmsw
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review of HotelRED. We are very thankful for both the review and your choice of hotels.

I was very excited to read the nice comments about Ethan. We are very luck y to have him as part of the team. He has been with us since opening and his joy has not quite since.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know. I’d love to try and make your stay even better.

Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful summer!

Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nice staff, nice room, great shower, good location...if only the room didn't smell like a damp basement. Not sure if it was due to the rainy days, or the fact that the shower opened to the room, but there was a definite musty odor. I thought maybe it was just the price of staying in a concrete room, but the housekeeper confirmed it wasn't the norm. When I mentioned it to the desk clerk she said she'd have maintenance check it out. Maybe the next guest will have a better experience.

Room Tip: If it smells musty, ask for another room, apparently they don't all smell that way.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Gandbee
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. We are very appreciative you stayed with us. Thank you as well for letting me know about the smell in your room. I am personally sorry. Every room should smell fresh.

With the help of your comments we have checked all possible causes including our AC units and possible leaks from the heavy rains we’ve received. We are already making changes in several rooms to ensure a more fresh experience.

Again I am very sorry your stay didn’t meet our expectations. If you ever are in Madison again please let me know, I’d love to help make your next stay much better.

Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was my second stay and decided to get a one bedroom capitol suite this time as I was staying for a few days. The upgrade was worth the extra money. Had a nice kitchen area but with so many good places to eat in Madison did not use it. Great sun-filled room with modern furniture that not only looks good but feels good. Hear some traffic noise sometimes but this place is not in a cornfield people. Used the large in-room tub every night I was there.
Several people on this site have complained able the "complicated" shower controls. Anyone having trouble using the shower needs to be supervised and not travel alone. Service was unobtrusive,and the location is close to what makes Madison Madison. (except Willy St) There are several fine places to stay in Madison but this is the best.

Room Tip: Check out the various room options before you make your reservation, the basic rooms are fine but an...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Great hotel, great location. Staff is so nice and helpful. Great location. Free parking and internet. Loft style hotel. Very contemporary. Super clean and bed are very comfortable. I would go back. We were visiting the University.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank chicagofamily04
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us while you were visiting the university. I also want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very appreciative. I will certainly pass on your kind words to the entire team.

If you’re ever in Madison again, please don’t hesitate let me know. We’d love to help make your next stay even better.

Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Booked the HotelRED for two nights this past week as part of a short vacation from Chicago. Below find the text of my message to the hotel after checking out:

"Please allow me to thank you for a particularly excellent stay at your property...The warmth of the staff, fantastically user-friendly and luxurious room layouts, and overall intelligently thought-out design made my stay a delight. When you travel a lot you come to appreciate the finer points within a hotel: Excellent shower pressure, clean glassware, meticulously clean bedding, and graciously expedient service. Your hotel delivered on all fronts and I look forward to returning when I am in Madison next."

I can't think of any major downsides to the property. Ideal location equidistant to both campus and more local activities, complimentary shuttle service, perfectly laid-out comfortable and luxurious rooms, and so on. The restaurant was rather mediocre; I was told it's going through a renovation. But, given the wealth of options within walking distance, I'm hard-pressed to discount any points from the hotel on that basis.

Room Tip: Booked into 303. 403 is probably the ideal room in the hotel--private balcony on top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank NA1090
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of HotelRED. We are truly appreciative that you took the time to write about your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

I’m sorry to hear about your restaurant experience being mediocre. We are on track for some major changes in the next few months. We recently hired a new chef and are about to being a renovation of the space. These changes will bring some great change.

Thank you again for both the review and your stay. If you ever need in anything in the future please let me know. I hope you have a wonderful summer.