“Great contempory hotel...but” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 63 hotels in Madison
Green Bay
“Great contempory hotel...but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at HotelRed the beginning of April of this year as we were headed to Madison for a concert. We typically stay at hotels on the west side of town since there is more selection. The only other time we have stayed anywhere near downtown is at Hotel Ruby Marie and the reason was stayed there was becasue of it being a old hotel and having quite a bit of character. My wife and I are fairly traditonal, we live in an nice older home with tons of ornate woodwork and beautiful hardwood floors, this is what we are typically attracted to so HotelRed was a change from what we were used to but I decided to take a chance and we were pleasently surprised.

The other issues mentioned in other reviews were shower issues, we experienced the same issues. It was difficult at times to get the water temp to be consistant but after a little while you got used to it. It is clear that the shower handles that control the water temp need t be replaced because they just do not work right. I did mention this to the staff and they informed me that are working on getting that corrected. Honestly not a huge deal, we made it work.

The location is really neat, the view of Camp Randall from the balcony and being right there on the busy corner is cool. Unfortunetly is was a little cool so we did not spend a ton of time out there but I can imagine if there was a badger game it would be the place to be, it might be loud but it woudl be fun.

There is limited parking but we never had an issue finding a spot but it was not a game weekend or anything but I imagine if the hotel was packed there might be an issue.

That was the good, now for the bad. The rooms are all concrete which was cool, they are very comtemporary which was to be expected and I enjoyed the rooms. The shower was also modern and nice but the one issue is that the suite we were in was really all one big room. The bathroom has a wall and a door seperating it from the rest of the room but it was open between the top of the wall and the ceiling. What that meant is that when you were in the shower you would constantly get cold air coming in at you from above and it was even worse if you had the balcony door open. Sometimes when you are in the shower, especially for my wife, you want the door shut and the heat contained and that is just not possible with this layout.

The other bad thing was when my wife and I came back to the room after being out housekeeping had cleaned our room which was expected. What was not expected was that later when we were getting ready to go out for dinner my wife went into the bathroom to freshen up only to find that one of her makeup containers was gone. It was just a cheap basic plastic $10.00 container of powder or something but it was gone. I assume that is was maybe knocked off of the counter when the staff was cleaning and maybe broke so they cleaned it up and threw it away which it not a big deal accidents happen but the fact that nothing was said to use was not right. We have stayed in many hotels all over and never had something like that happen. The only other issue was the hotel is kind of loud, with all the concrete you kind of hear doors slamming in the night and people talking sometimes echos through the halls.

Overall I would say it is a nice place there are just a few things that they need to address. I would stay there again but I may call first to make sure they upgraded the shower fixtures first.

Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. We are very thankful that you took the time to write such a helpful review. I can take all of this great information and ensure we correct any errors and make HotelRED a better place.

I want to personally apologize for the missing make-up. I am working with our housekeeping department to understand what happened. We never want to touch, let alone take, one of our guest’s items. We take this extremely seriously and will work with our team to better communicate when something like this happens.

We are very excited that all of the defective shower temperature valves have been replaced. There are no issues in controlling temperature of the water. I certainly want to apologize for the inconvenience when all you wanted was a nice shower.

Thank you again for your helpful comments. If you ever are in Madison in the future please let me know how I can make your stay even better. I hope you have a great summer.

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were pleased to return to Madison's truly unique boutique hotel. In reading others' reviews, it's important to understand that this is a contemporary property with loft-like features...concrete floors, high ceilings, sleek furnishings , contemporary design and most importantly, plush and luxurious amenities. Fabulous bedding, robes, spa-shower, large rooms with generous sitting areas, and on the fourth floor, spacious balconies. What makes this gem sparkle, is the attentive and friendly staff both in the hotel and restaurant and the complimentary shuttle which we have used during both stays. Highly recommend trying a Moscow Mule....ginger based brew that we enjoyed upon arrival and before our departure during a delicious Sunday brunch. Already have re booked for the fall.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite with balcony and request the fourth floor if possible. Fun to see the comings an...
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here while relocating to the Madison area and could not have asked for a better experience. The hotel is very modern, reminds me of south beach with the décor and amenities. The hotel staff is extremely outgoing and friendly and always eager to help. The rooms are clean and the shower is amazing. The central location made it easy to conduct business in the Madison area while offering an eclectic change to the cookie cutter hotels. The restaurant is great and the menu is a true testament to the….” eat fresh, unique, and local” attitude that true foodies expect in a local restaurant. I look forward to my next stay and will refer my friends, family, and business associates to do the same. Great job Hotel Red!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at HotelRED on a Saturday night in February 2013 with an online coupon site offer. Check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk staff was very service-oriented. Even offered us a cocktail! Our room was spectacular. Very modern decor, which I like. The bathroom had a spa-type shower, fluffy robes and Aveda products (my favorite)! Really liked that the room included a kitchenette with a sink and 'fridge. Bed was comfy as was the room overall.

We grabbed drinks from the bar and had breakfast there the next morning as well. Breakfast service was a bit slow. Seemed like not enough people for the size of the crowd. Luckily, our food was delicious and did help make up for the wait.

I would stay at Hotel RED again, and would love to plan another visit this summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments about HotelRED. We are very appreciative of everything you said.

I will pass everything on to our team. I will also work with our Food and Beverage team to ensure we keep the food coming out fast.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, we’d like to make your stay even better.
Thanks again and I hope you have a great spring.

Mankato, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I picked the Hotel Red hoping for an upscale hotel for my wife to recover from a minor surgery while I worked in town for the weekend. It is billed as a Boutique Hotel, but, "Boutique" must mean renovated warehouse. What they don't tell you is that the hotel doesn't have carpet in the rooms, and as anybody that lives in the northern U.S. knows, that means extremely cold feet walking around the room. They do give you slippers on request, but if you're a man over a size 7, forget about them fitting. And not that it matters, but views of Camp Randall, uhhh...no. You can see the upper corner of the bleachers...so I guess they can bill it as such.

Aside from no carpeting in the rooms, and an ice machine tucked into a creepy furnace room, the first trip to the restaurant was horrible. I ordered the meatloaf sliders to bring back to my wife in the room, and they were literally flavorless, and extremely dry...stay away. When I saw they were the size of 50 cent pieces, I knew they couldn't be good. And at $10.00, it made me really feel gullible when I took the room service tray off. I'm pretty sure we will not be sampling the hotel fare again...fool me once....shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

And then I decided to take a shower, and of course, they have a fancy "boutique" shower system, but the cold/hot handle in room 415 is broken, and I scalded myself. Eventually, using more torque than I thought I had, I got the water to a comfortable temperature.

For 3 nights at close to $500, this is an enormous disappointment. Regretfully, this is only night #1 and we have 2 more to endure. There have got to be better options for a high class hotel in this city.

Travelers beware...I stay in 100+ hotel rooms a year, and this ranks very near the bottom...

P.S. The heater is one of those that runs constantly and doesn't shut off when it reaches a certain temp, so if you're bothered by that constant noise, you will not be pleased.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear your stay did not go very well.

Even if the style of the hotel is not for everyone we still must provide the best service we can. We certainly did not live up to this throughout your stay. I am working with our kitchen to ensure our food is of top quality. We are also replacing the temperature valves in the showers to make them easier to use for our guests. This may be of small conciliation but we take your comments very seriously and are trying to create the best product we can.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your stay. Please let me know if you ever need anything in the future.

I hope you have a great spring.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

It's great to see that HotelRED has gotten some very positive reviews-it gives me hope for the rest of my stay. That said, I've only been here for a couple of hours and have gotten off to a pretty rough start. When I arrived, I attempted to check in and was told there was no reservation. Despite showing my confirmation number and e-mail, they could not find my reservation. Bizarre. The woman at the front desk was very helpful, though, and gave me a nice room. Good thing the hotel had vacancies or else I assume I would have been SOL!

Then, I got up to my room and noticed a bunch of brown stains on my comforter. That's never good. I haven't complained about this one yet because I was too tired/lazy to say anything at the moment.

After settling in, I went down to the lobby at around 4:15 to go to state street, which was recommended by the front desk as a good area to find something to eat. I was ready to walk the mile or so but they offered the hotel shuttle which was supposed to return in 10-15 minutes. The shuttle never came. I waited for nearly an hour and...nothing. The front desk staff apologized and was gracious enough to call me a cab and offered to pay for my ride to state street. The cab was supposed to get there in 5 minutes. Fast forward 15 minutes....no cab. I decided to cancel the cab and eat in the hotel restaurant which was, like most hotel restaurants, mediocre.

So, in summary, I would say that the staff is certainly friendly and responsive but the hotel must be having a rough day! If things don't improve, I certainly would not recommend the hotel to others, especially note business travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear about the issues throughout your stay.

We pride ourselves on ensuring an easy stay for our guests and certainly we did not meet that standard. Our housekeeping department never should have placed a stained comforter in your room. We also should have ensured the reservation information was correct and that our shuttle status was clearly communicated to you. I am already working on these issues with our team. We needed to make things a lot easier for you.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know if there is any way I can help.

I hope you have a great spring.

Le Mars, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

First of all the staff was the best part of our experience at this hotel! They were warm, friendly and handled our needs happily and quickly. The hotel itself is not my style. Too much concrete so it felt sterile and cold. I love a cozy warm bathroom when I shower and with the bathroom ceiling open to the main room I felt cold the minute I stepped out of the shower. We were upgrade to a room with a balconyand a view of the stadium and full kitchen which would be wonderful on game days. We received the upgrade because the shower could not be adjusted for temperature and was scalding hot. The tempeture handle was broken. The full kitchen was nice but was built for someone 6' tall! The microwave was on a shelf so high I needed to pull up a chair to use it. I am 5' tall.

Room Tip: If you are a Badger you will love it! Especially the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to HotelRED? Share your experiences!