“Off to a Rough Start” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Off to a Rough Start”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

It's great to see that HotelRED has gotten some very positive reviews-it gives me hope for the rest of my stay. That said, I've only been here for a couple of hours and have gotten off to a pretty rough start. When I arrived, I attempted to check in and was told there was no reservation. Despite showing my confirmation number and e-mail, they could not find my reservation. Bizarre. The woman at the front desk was very helpful, though, and gave me a nice room. Good thing the hotel had vacancies or else I assume I would have been SOL!

Then, I got up to my room and noticed a bunch of brown stains on my comforter. That's never good. I haven't complained about this one yet because I was too tired/lazy to say anything at the moment.

After settling in, I went down to the lobby at around 4:15 to go to state street, which was recommended by the front desk as a good area to find something to eat. I was ready to walk the mile or so but they offered the hotel shuttle which was supposed to return in 10-15 minutes. The shuttle never came. I waited for nearly an hour and...nothing. The front desk staff apologized and was gracious enough to call me a cab and offered to pay for my ride to state street. The cab was supposed to get there in 5 minutes. Fast forward 15 minutes....no cab. I decided to cancel the cab and eat in the hotel restaurant which was, like most hotel restaurants, mediocre.

So, in summary, I would say that the staff is certainly friendly and responsive but the hotel must be having a rough day! If things don't improve, I certainly would not recommend the hotel to others, especially note business travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear about the issues throughout your stay.

We pride ourselves on ensuring an easy stay for our guests and certainly we did not meet that standard. Our housekeeping department never should have placed a stained comforter in your room. We also should have ensured the reservation information was correct and that our shuttle status was clearly communicated to you. I am already working on these issues with our team. We needed to make things a lot easier for you.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Jason Ilstrup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Le Mars, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

First of all the staff was the best part of our experience at this hotel! They were warm, friendly and handled our needs happily and quickly. The hotel itself is not my style. Too much concrete so it felt sterile and cold. I love a cozy warm bathroom when I shower and with the bathroom ceiling open to the main room I felt cold the minute I stepped out of the shower. We were upgrade to a room with a balconyand a view of the stadium and full kitchen which would be wonderful on game days. We received the upgrade because the shower could not be adjusted for temperature and was scalding hot. The tempeture handle was broken. The full kitchen was nice but was built for someone 6' tall! The microwave was on a shelf so high I needed to pull up a chair to use it. I am 5' tall.

Room Tip: If you are a Badger you will love it! Especially the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Excellent friendly service. The nicest hotel staff I have ever dealt with. Clean,modern and very comfortable. Great location. From the minute we checked in until we checked out the entire staff treated us like we were the only people staying at the hotel. Would go back in a minute.

Room Tip: Very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Cool modern hotel. Went to Madison for tour of U.W. A little pricey, but a cool room. Great bedding. Nice tub and shower. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. The handle on the shower sticks so my wife didn't get much of a shower -- too hot. Once I forced it, it was great. Easy walk to Camp Randall, Union South, and the heart of campus. Adjacent to Mickie's Dairy Bar. Cement Floors, big screens everywhere. Definitely not for you if you like plush carpet and lots of warm woods.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite overlooking Camp Randall was really cool (301). The entire hotel is as far as...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, WI, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We decided to stay in this new hotel for two days for my birthday, returning to my alma mater. The hotel, located right next to my favorite malt shop of all time, Mickie's Dairy Bar, is industrial in style, but conveniently located and really a cool place to stay. It's even better if you like red, or are a Wisconsin Badgers fan. The hotel has a convenient surface and underground parking lot (overcrowded when they hold special parties, we came to find out). The King room, which is the least expensive of all the suites there, had a view of Regent Street--not a bad view, but there could be better views. You get what you pay for there. Being a newly constructed hotel (within the last 12 mos.), it has a pretty high price point for those who prefer to be on a Best Western budget (there's a Best Western hotel approx. 1 mile away that is comfortable, but not convenient for those wanting to spend time close to campus), but we wanted to check it out. We plan to return for a weekend in July. It was that nice. See the pictures for yourself. The bed for me was a bit low and soft for my taste, despite being a platform bed, but in all fairness, I was suffering from a pretty painful low back issue. The one bit of advice for you and for the hotel management: Provide instructions on how to run the shower. It looks neat and funky, and the multiple shower heads is awesome. But I'm not a fan of blistering hot showers. My wife, who DOES like her shower hot, also complained about the temperature of the water, so if she says it's too hot, it's TOO HOT! If there are temp controls, just give us the bloody instructions! We'll be back, yes, but I do hope you provide a guide how to work the damn shower and/or control the temp!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had a great weekend with friends. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, beds were super comfortable. We provided a grocery list and it was all laid out for us when we arrived. We used the shuttle service frequently and the drivers were friendly and went above and beyond to help us find certain items. Definitely a great find!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing HotelRED for your girl’s weekend. It sounds like you made the best use of the hotel – shuttles, grocery service etc.

Thank you as well for your kind comments about the shuttle drivers. I will certainly pass this on to our team.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know; I’d love to help make your stay even better.

HUDSON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hotel Red would be a good place to relive your college days especially if you lived on N. Breese Terrace across the street from Camp Randall. Just as in those glory days you could sleep until a minute before kickoff and still see the whole game. You would also be able to watch the 72,000 people swarming into the game from the comfort of your room. HotelRED is just across the street from Camp Randall and the woman at the desk told me they do not require a 2 night minimum on game weekends...I still find this incredible. I've attached a photo to show you how near you would be to the stadium...it was a foggy day so the photo looks a little dreary. Not all rooms overlook Camp Randall, but most do and the decks are HUGE. We had a smaller triangle-shaped deck and it must have been 80 square feet. The larger rectangular decks would have to be about 150 square feet. They also have an outlet on the deck (I'm not sure what you'd do with this...boombox?).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing HotelRED for your recent trip to Madison. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the University of Wisconsin again. I can assure you you’re right to think how fun HotelRED is on game day. The whole hotel is a sea of red! There is nothing better than the birds’ eye views from the balconies.

There are certain games (mostly non-conference) that do not require a two night minimum. These games can be even more fun because the weather normally behaves early in the season.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know. We’d love to make your stay even better.

Jason Ilstrup

Been to HotelRED? Share your experiences!