“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Red hoping to find a better place in Madison. Can't complain too much because I stayed on $100 vouchers purchased as a promotional on Travel Zoo; if I had payed full price I would be very upset. On checking in the desk was very nice and helpful; I asked for an upgrade and payed $30 per night for this. I wish I hadn't. The room was downright depressing (at night) with a cold concrete finish (floors, ceiling, walls) with a few area rugs to break up the sterile appearence. The clothes closet on entering the room was covered with a curtain rather than a door and at first I thought I was in an econolodge place. Not expected in a place where rooms go for $250plus a night. After killing the large spider on the bed my wife and I settled in for a depressing evening. She slept on the side of the bed two feet away from the dishwasher and cooking range, I slept facing the see-through window curtain that faces the street. For some reason there is a red light inside the room at the window (yah we know - HotelRed) that I finally had to unscrew by climbing on a chair so I could sleep. Maybe this works for a brothel, but serves no purpose in my room.
The bed was very comfortable, and the room extremely quiet, something I value above all in a hotel. I still couldn't help joking to my wife that the concrete bunker only needed the sound of Soviet artillery closing in to take me back to WWII Berlin.
The surround shower knobs were stuck as far as temp control concerned; scalding or cold; the desk said they were having problems with these units, and by the time I could get it working the water was tepid having run out of hot water; the desk says on weekends they hear this occurs. Unnacceptable. To their credit they promptly fixed it and the next day the shower worked fine.
At breakfast the food was excellent but the server only showed up twice; to take the order and deliver the food and check. Couldn't get what I needed to complete the meal (butter for the toast). Parking in the garage is at least free (all the other Hiltons and Hyatts charge in Madison), but is extremely tight.
Anyways, it was a bargain for me ( I don't mind spending $600/ night at the Trump Tower), but wasn't worth it to me either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear that it did not meet our own standards. We pride ourselves on delivering a good stay and we clearly failed on a number of items. First, we should have ensured your room was in perfect order for your arrival. Second, we must be more attentive in the restaurant. I am working with our staff on all of these issues. Thanks to your comments, I have concrete items to move forward.

If you need anything in the future please let me know. Again I am sorry to hear about your stay.

Jason Ilstrup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
minneapolis, mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I love this place - I haven't traveled much in my life - but this hotel seems to be everything a hotel should be! Really cool red/black/white decor, a "soaking tub" in the bedroom, and a very comfortable/soft bed! When you check in, you get some free chocolates and a cocktail! Bonus! And they offered a free shuttle service in the evening to take you where you wanted to go w/in a 3 mile radius. I will be back here, definitely!

Room Tip: The photos on their website are exactly what the rooms look like - which doesn't happen often wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at HotelRed last weekend for a winter getaway and had a very positive experience. I will clarify that the University was not in session while we were there ... I'm guessing it would be a much different experience during school semesters. The location of the hotel is great and very accessible with covered parking (although you do have to walk outside a very short distance to get to the door for the elevator ... since it rained during our trip, it would be nicer if there were access from inside the garage). When we arrived in our room after a long day of traveling, the first plan was to take a bath in the soaking tub in our suite. Unfortunately, we determined our suite had no hot water. We called the front desk who immediately checked into the problem, and advised it could not be repaired that night, so they credited us for our full night's stay and moved us into another room (unfortunately the only one available was the accessible-room that had no tub). We loved the concrete floors and modern decor, but you'll want to bring slippers to keep your feet cushioned and warm (there was a note in the room that they had slippers at the front desk if you don't bring your own). We also enjoyed the larger walk-in shower with multiple water sprays. The beds and furniture were very comfortable and the wireless internet was free, strong and reliable. We truly appreciated the attentiveness and immediate response of the staff. We also loved the quick walk around the corner for amazing breakfasts at Mickie's Dairy Bar ... and just a few blocks down the street is Trader Joe's, Strictly Discs, Orange Tree Imports and several restaurant choices.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms would be very nice during better weather.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. Your comments are very helpful. I’m sorry to hear that we had an issue with hot water during your stay. However, it sounds like the staff did the best they could to make the situation right. I very much appreciate hearing about the staff’s effort.

I love hearing that you were able to enjoy many of our wonderful neighbors. If you ever in town again I’d love to tell you about even more cool local spots.

Thanks again for staying with us. I hope you have a great weekend.

Cato, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our family celebrated a 1st birthday at the HotelRed Saturday, Jan 12, 2013. The hotel is stunning...our 2 bedroom/2bath suite was beautiful & very well equipped...the staff was professional and so helpful....location was ideal! Given all the choices in the Madison area, be sure to choose this hotel, you won't be disappointed!!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We live in Madison and have come here for stay-cations several times. We also have family and friends stay here when coming into town. The best thing about the hotel is that is is super clean, very comfy, and has excellent customer service. In addition to this, it is very bright and modern, the beds are great, the bathrooms are cool, and the food and drinks are delicious. Whether you come for a Badger game or just for fun, stay here!

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite is a great value if you have 4 or more guests!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much staying with us at HotelRED. We are very appreciative of your kind comments. I will make sure to pass them on to our staff.

If you ever need anything in a future stay please let me know. I hope you have a wonderful winter.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The rooms are spotless, beds are great, & service is wonderful. The temperature control is fast to heat up. It's nice to have the Aveda shower products. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Madison. Looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
COLUMBUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The whole time we spent here was great. upon arrival out two pups got doggie treat bags and a warm welcome(scored points immediately;)

The band they have that plays here on Wed. are very talented! We were here for Nye and they were great. Also, the kitchen here is equally talented- all the appetizers and dishes were impeccable and presented very tastefully- pun intended.

The bartender knew his beers and was lovely to conversate with, my hubby enjoyed talking with him. The staff overall gets an a+ for everything.

The next morning the Bloody Mary was amazing as wa the head chef- a great cool and manager as well.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to HotelRED? Share your experiences!