“Big, beautiful room!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1501 Monroe Street, Madison, WI 53711   |
Ranked #12 of 62 hotels in Madison
“Big, beautiful room!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I along with our 15 month old had a great stay at HotelRED in Madison. The rooms were large and very comfortable. Parking was free, and the best part is there is an awesome little diner right next to the hotel that sells WONDERFUL breakfasts! It's an older mom n pop style diner (cash only). I would recommend this hotel to all travellers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much for both staying with us and your wonderful review. We certainly appreciate the kind words. It sounds like you had a chance to stop by Mickies Dairy Bar next door. We are very lucky to have such a great neighbor.

If you ever need anything in a future stay please don’t hesitate to ask. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a nice alternative to the usual Hilton/Marriott stay for business travel. Most comfortable bed I've slept in years of work travel. Nice big workspace in my room with plenty of natural light and lamps. Internet is fast and there were quite a few easy to reach outlets. Big screen TV mounted on the wall with all the channels and no distracting outside noise. The New Glarus ales in the mini-bar were a nice touch. The food is interesting and has a great local flavor while the bar has an upscale feel and was perfect for entertaining. Great location around the corner from interesting restaurants and shops. I'm told they're building a fitness center- the lack thereof is the only downside. I usually stay where I can accumulate rewards points but I'm making an exception in Madison for HotelRED!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Near Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent one night at Hotel Red in celebration of our 24th wedding anniversary. It definitely is not another cookie cutter hotel and we thought it would fit the bill for an adventure close to home.

The hotel was easy to find and parking was a snap. The exterior sets the stage for what you’ll see inside, with lots of angles and modern details. Check-in was quick and we were surprised with an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite (Room 201). Once inside the door, we were struck by how dark it was. A flip of the light switch turned on can lights with red light bulbs (!), which didn't do much to light our way. There were two bedrooms located on each side of the entry, and the short hallway then opened into a large space with a kitchenette on one end and living room at the other. A Kuerig coffee maker with a supply of coffee and tea, along with a microwave and dishwasher were all provided. Our suite included a triangular balcony that overlooked busy Regent and Monroe Streets, and several floor to ceiling windows. There were large flat screen tv's in the living room and in each bedroom.

The look is open and modern, and I do mean open. The bathrooms are integrated as part of the bedrooms, with no walls separating the two spaces. The larger bedroom included a tub, sink, shower and toilet located on a platform one step above the bed. The tub looked really cool and modern, but it was strange to have it within a couple feet of the head of the bed. The shower fixture was one of those really expensive ones with all the bells and whistles but it was nearly impossible to use. My husband tried the one in the larger bedroom, gave up and moved to the second bedroom, and still couldn't get the water temperature off scalding. We ended up calling the front desk for help mid-shower. Apparently it wasn't the first time this had happened as we were immediately given detailed instructions (Dry off the bottom knob because it won't turn if it's wet; then take a dry towel, wrap it around the knob, grip hard and turn it until it's at 10:00).

The main bedroom had a platform bed, but no bedside tables (which turned out to be really annoying for my husband, who likes to have his glasses and phone next to the bed). The toilet was in the far corner, within direct line of sight of the head of the bed. There were hanging panels that could be pulled close to give some semblance of privacy, but it wasn't the same as a door.

The second bedroom was a bit smaller and had just a shower, no tub. It also had a bit more "toilet privacy" as the toilet was located behind the shower and was not visible from the bed. There were, however, floor to ceiling windows right next to the bed, overlooking the busy street. We closed the curtains but the street noise was very apparent in that room and in the main living area.

As others have mentioned, the floors and ceilings are unfinished concrete. I like polished concrete floors; I have them in a portion of my house. They are easy to clean and you never have to deal with replacing carpet, and as far as hotel carpet goes….well, it gives me the heebie jeebies. Who knows what’s been on that carpet? So, extra points to Hotel Red for the floors. However, I wasn’t a fan of the concrete ceilings. Yes, they were high but still, it seemed like we were inside a parking garage. Maybe it was because the weather was cold and rainy when we were there, but I just couldn’t get comfy looking up at that cold gray ceiling.

We decided to sleep in the larger bedroom because it was set back off the street and didn't have as much street noise as the smaller room. We ended up rethinking that decision around 3 am. Reason one: The mattress. It had a definite downward slope towards the head of the bed. Try sleeping comfortably with your feet above your head; can't be done. Reason two (and this is the one that tipped it over); the HVAC unit (right next to the head of the bed) developed an annoying rattle. We scurried over to bedroom 2 and discovered that the temperature was set at 60 degrees (brrrrrrrr). We cranked up the heat, which fortunately drowned out the street noise and snuggled into bed….until around 5 am, when the HVAC unit clicked off, and the street noise took over. At least the mattress was better on this bed – it obviously had not been used as much as the bed in the larger bedroom.

So, bottom line: We visit Madison a couple times a year, but we've decided we won't be returning to Hotel Red. There are plenty of other choices in Madison; none of them are as unique as Hotel Red, but when it comes to a good night's sleep, unique isn't always a good thing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our second stay at HotelRED was as great as the first! This hotel has a unique feel...awesome shower, spacious room, many upscale amenities, and the bed is super comfortable. They haven't missed much here, including an in-room safe, Kuerig coffee maker, free chocolates upon check-in, and several rooms have balconies facing Camp Randall Stadium. The staff is accommodating and friendly, and the room was extremely clean. The location is a bit far from downtown, but the shops and restaurants in the Monroe Street area are delightful. We highly recommend the HotelRED for anyone looking for a unique experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

A friend and I stayed at HotelRED and had a great time. It took awhile to get used to the urban feel of the hotel, but it really is the perfect decor for the location in Madison. We appreciated the spacious room size, upgraded amenities (shower, kitchen area, large balcony, coffee maker) and friendly staff. We also thought the location was great.

Parking was not so great, but that is to be expected in Madison.

Room Tip: Our room was at the corner, looking directly at Camp Randall. If you are staying for a Badger game...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thanks a lot for the wonderful review of HotelRED. We are all very appreciative. I will make sure to pass all your kind words on to the entire staff.

Please let me know if you need anything when you’re traveling to Madison again. I hope you have a great fall.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Madison is a quirky, progressive city with a little bit of an edge. HotelRED is the quirky, progressive hotel with an edge that it deserves.

Location: Close to the hospitals and within vomiting distance of the stadium, but inconvenient if you're visiting Capitol Square.

Directions: Clear-cut. Interactive Google Maps application on the website.

Parking: Free, covered, attached.

Service: The front desk reception is friendly and fast: one clerk gave me a shuttle ride to my restaurant.

Decor: The best part! Industrial and boutique, with whimsical touches here and there (red candy, artichoke lamp, etc.) and contemporary furniture.

Restaurant: Open and inviting. Outdoor dining available. Breakfast is limited, but dinner is decent (it has improved since my first stay).

Sleeping Room: Request a room facing the street (they're larger). I could have lived in mine. Larger than average, with high ceilings and a deck. The glossy concrete floor and minimalist style feels very clean. Oh, and the shower...

LADIES: The shower. I'm just sayin'.

Did I mention the shower?

Aveda products.

The bed: cloud-like.

Free wi-fi.

Gym: Unfortunately, none. But you have access to a nearby gym.

A welcome change from the monotony of chain hotels. Fun.

www.esmetravels.com

Room Tip: Streetview are bigger.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for both staying with us and writing such a nice review. It sounds like you made full use of the hotel. I, in particular, loved the description of the proximity of Camp Randall Stadium.

If you ever need anything on a future trip please don’t hesitate to ask. I hope you have a wonderful fall and thanks again.

Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My 17yo daughter and I had one night to spend in Madison. We loved HotelRED. The location, across the street from Camp Randal Stadium, was superb. The room was interesting and fun. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. They directed us to some great places, and we really appreciated the free shuttle!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to HotelRED? Share your experiences!