“Hate to say it.. but terrible!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Grand Hotel

You added Magnuson Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Magnuson Grand Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3510 Millpond Rd, Madison, WI 53718 (Formerly Grand Hotel Madison)   |
Ranked #43 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Minneapolis
“Hate to say it.. but terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I like to give anyone and anywhere the benefit of the doubt! When I checked in the staff was very nice and pleasant, so they are just fine, but the hotel is very dated and the most frustrating part is the internet connection, I would have connection for about 5 min then lose it and get it back. When trying to work, thats brutal. Also I called front desk to see if there was an internet connection issue and nobody picked up the front desk phone after 3 attemps, maybe they were busy but still there needs to be some sort of back up. Also there is nothing around here! Yes there is a casino, golf course and one restaurant but other than that good luck. I am sure the connection issue is not the hotels fault, its most likely their location. Overall the hotel is just ok, but for the business traveller, stay away!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very nice hotel. I travel for a living and I am in and out of hotels weekly, six to eight months out of the year, so when I find something unique I like to mention it on here. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and helpful. I like that they have "real" coffee mugs in the room and in the breakfast room. They have nice breakfast spread which includes blueberries and raspberries. Not many hotels have berries, this was a big plus for me. The rooms are spacious and the bathtubs are nice sized. Indoor swimming and hot tub too. It is located near a golf course, I don't play golf but for those of you who do this may be nice. It is just a 10-15 minute drive into Madison. Hope this helps

Room Tip: If you are looking for hotels online, if you click the picture of the room and the picture shows the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
West Coast, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, by the time we got there it was 1AM, and the place was packed, we were told there were no King room left so they gave us the Jaccuzi Room with a King for the same rate. Room was Big and very quiet. Service was great, breakfast was good. I would for sure stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed for two nights this week. On the second day of our stay, the entire third floor smelled like a rancid, decaying animal. It wasn't until the following morning that I figured our where the smell was coming from. Millpond Rd is across from the Dane County Landfill.

While the service was satisfactory, they do try to nickel and dime you by hiding some charges on your bill. They charge you $1 per day for the use of the safe that they cleverly hide in the bottom of the closet. The charge on your bill that is for "S & W" is the charge for the safe. The first desk clerk didn't even know what is what for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights just as a little get away. 24 hour pool and hot tub was a very big plus for us! The room was very clean. Comfortable bed, good sized room and nice furniture. Shower had great pressure! Great breakfast! Price of the stay was very reasonable. Overall it was a great experience and would recommend this hotel!! A++

• Stayed April 2013
North Canton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter on our way to and from Minnesota. The hotel could use a cosmetic update, but other than that it was great. We checked in late on our trip home and the front desk made us a pizza for dinner ($10) - even brought it to our room with plates and plasticware.

Room Tip: We stayed on different floors each time. It seemed like on the higher up floor you could hear the r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I wanted to plan a little getaway, in the Madison area. Like other people, I aslo read reviews. I was not firmiliar with this hotel but made my reservation based on the area and reviews. I was pleased when pulling in to the parking lot with the over all look. I was not prepared to hear the front desk clerk say she did NOT have my reservations on file, after driving an hour and seeing there was an obvious sporting event going on and the place was packed. I was alittle nervous but thanks to Stephanie (front desk clerk) she found my paper work from my online booking, which had been entered in for the wrong month stay. Stephanie was very professional in rectifying this problem. Luckily, there was ONE last room available. This hotel has all amenities you could want, nice clean rooms and friendly staff. I also appreciated Aaron (manager) for following up with me by phone. Nice hotel. I look forward to a future stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!