“Great Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Grand Hotel

You added Magnuson Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Magnuson Grand Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3510 Millpond Rd, Madison, WI 53718 (Formerly Grand Hotel Madison)   |
Ranked #43 of 64 Hotels in Madison
South Beloit, IL
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here because my cousin was getting married next door at Capital City Harley Davidson dealership (tell you about that later). During check in I asked about the shuttle to Ho Chunk Casino (which is about 2 minutes from the hotel). The receptionist told me they call the Casino to come pick up guests. Once she found out we were interested in the Casino, she offered us a $10.00 voucher each to use at the Casino. She had to date it for the day you are going to use it. I believe they would not have offered this unless they know you might be going.

Room was clean and comfortable. Didn't spend a lot of time in the room. It did have a refrigerator and microwave which we did not use. We were only staying one night so didn't pack my shampoo or conditioner because most hotels supply. They did have shampoo but no conditioner. Sat down in the lobby as we had several family members staying here for the wedding. Very comfortable. One thing I have never seen before is they actually sell beer, wine or champagne right at the front desk. You could buy a Miller Lite for $3.00/bottle. The next morning I did not take full advantage of the breakfast offered but my husband did. He said the biscuits and gravy were good and the eggs were ok. I only had a couple of powdered doughnuts. Some of my family members mentioned how nice/helpful the staff was.

The wedding/reception was right next door at the Harley Davidson dealership. You could walk out the front door of the Hotel into the parking lot, cross through some grass and you were in the parking lot of the Harley Davidson dealership. That was awsome! Don't understand the addresses of the hotel and dealership for being right next door, anyway, reception hall upstairs and I was very impressed. Very classy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ladysmith, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here October !9 and 20 for my sons wedding excellent service the staff was wonderful The room was very comfortable.the shuttle service back and forth to my sons weeding was an excellent service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Twin Lakes, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here the end of September. Though our room was spacious, it was in need of updating including painting, new carpeting, and fixing the cracked window (Room 402). I could tell the hotel cleaning staff did not open the drapes when they cleaned that day, otherwise they would have found tissue stuck in the upper track of the window. That was kind of gross. The desk person upon checking in was very nice however, the two ladies in the morning were not as friendly and even though one was on the phone did not acknowledge my presence. Breakfast should be served until 10:00 instead of 9:00 for late travelers. Otherwise, an OK stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here overnight while visiting family in nearby Cottage Grove. The hotel staff was great and greeted us in a friendly manner. We got checked in with no problems. The lobby was nicely decorated for Halloween and made us feel very comfortabe. Our room was nicely furnished with very new looking linens and clean including the bathroom. Breakfast was about normal for this type of place. The eggs and hash were Ok per my wife but I skipped it for toasted muffins and coffee. choice of lots of cold cereals and juices. Coffee was great!!! We would stay there again when we are in the area for sure!!!

Room Tip: The king bed with sofa sleeper worked great for us. We had a "highway" view but never hear...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head Island, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at the Magnuson for six nights, checking out 10/14/12. The room was much larger and nicer than I had anticipated, especially given the price. It was a King suite with jacuzzi tub. It had a large "L-shape" configuration comprised of a small sitting area with sofa and desk, bedroom area, and a whole separate section for the jacuzzi tub. I didn't eat breakfast everyday at the hotel, but the days I did, it was fine. It appeared to me that some effort had been made to update and upgrade the decor. The bed linens were really very nice. The employees who really stood out to me were Aaron and Tonya. I only encountered one employee who was vaguely rude... Everyone else was very friendly and customer-service oriented. The location was not bad since I had a car. There were plenty of restaurants, etc., within easy driving distance. I doubt that the expensive hotels downtown (where I've stayed in the past) would have provided any more pleasant stay. I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Request a King Jacuzzi suite... All locations seem to be quiet, as my room was facing the highway an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend while going to the badger game. Fire alarm went off before 6am because of a short in the system. Was no apology given and nothing said as to what happened until people started complaining. 24 hour pool would be great if there weren't a bunch of kids in there at midnight. Rooms are pretty nice but the front desk person disappears frequently and leaves notes on the desk to call a room to find her. Breakfast was gross!! Corned beef hash looked like mushy dog food and the eggs were totally dried out. Probably will not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here back in July for a HOG event next door at the Harley dealer. The hotel and room were much nicer than I expected having heard not such great things about this hotel in the past. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and although the furnishings were older, the room was fine. We had a king room facing the parking lot and as others have said, the noise levels we're low. Breakfast was just OK, bowl of yogurt turned me off, should be in individual containers. I also found that the staff attending the food service were lacking and fun ran out often and took forever to be refilled. Toaster did not work back in July, and apparently they still have not replaced or repaired it. All in all not a bad room for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!