“Quirky and cool” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Quirky and cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I had such a good time here. First, it's walkable to the downtown stuff and yet there is a free parking lot. The person at the front desk was very friendly and informative. The hotel has a historic past, which is evident by the decor, but it still has modern conveniences. They use card keys, and there is free wifi albeit a little spotty. I was able to access a balcony with sitting area from the hallway. There's no gym or business center; however, Madison is a great place for running/biking outside, and the front desk offered to let me print my boarding pass from their computer.

I love all the free perks to the hotel. I got two vouchers for free drinks at one of the restaurants, and there were complimentary beers and water bottles in the fridge! In the morning, there are also fresh baked pastries in the attached cafe, which is a thousand times more awesome than the traditional continental breakfast. Of note, the weekday breakfast starts at 7am, which may be late if you're leaving extra early. There's a full breakfast available on the weekends, and I can't begin to imagine how delicious that would be. In addition to the food, there were also complimentary postcards in the lobby, which was unique. This hotel gives a great name to independently operated hotels. I love it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I had a great experience in my one-night stay at Ruby Marie. The staff were friendly, the room had nice old-fashioned furniture, the windows overlooked the lake. Very comfortable bed - may have been a pillow-top. The bathroom had better-than-usual fixtures. The breakfast options were casual but plentiful. We walked from Ruby Marie to all the State Street restaurants and bars and, while it was "a walk," it was fine and enjoyable and felt safe even in the dark. When I initially arrived, it was a little hard to find parking in the lot, but I did get a spot and that is no reason to miss out on this great unique Madison find!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

This hotel is, indeed, darling. The rooms are beautifully restored, and decorated in a charming Victorian style. The bathrooms are new, clean, and very nice. The problem was that I was not very comfortable there. My sister and her husband had a room with two double beds that was quite nice, and I can't speak to their comfort, but in my room, with a queen bed, I found that there was no way to read comfortably in bed without the light from the high wall sconces hitting me right in the eyes. Additionally, as many have noted, the hotel surrounds a courtyard where people make noise all evening. You can hear the talking and laughing as though they were right in the room with you. We stayed there one weeknight, and the noise stopped before 11 pm, but frankly, I didn't appreciate it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

This is a super charming hotel. The restored vintage vibe is done very well. It's super clean, quiet, and comfortable. Close to everything in downtown Madison. I've stayed twice now when in town for music concerts and look forward to another opportunity to stay there. Oh, and the complimentary breakfast in the Lakeview cafe was waaaay better than any chain hotel's.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

We were in Wisconsin visiting family, and spent one night at a big chain hotel, 2 nights in a Victorian-era bed and breakfast 6 hours north of Madison, and stayed at the Ruby Marie after the 6-hour drive back to Madison as a "stopover" before the plane trip home to New Jersey. My brother, who lives in town, made the arrangements, and I think he got us the best room in the house - a huge corner suite with a turret, king-sized bed, enormous jacuzzi, gas fireplace, and tiny kitchenette - much more than we were expecting!

The bed was the most comfortable we have slept in in a long time (even more comfortable than our own bed), our daugther's room was smaller but was of nice quality, and she could get online which pleased her greatly. It was awesome to wake up to the smell of fresh-baked goods (and bacon!) wafting up from the bakery attached to the hotel.

We did not take advantage of the free drinks in the bar downstairs, because we were too tired from travelling, but the Ruby Marie is more of a bed & breakfast than a hotel, and like most B&Bs, is not staffed 24/7 - so we worked around that.

Since our outbound flight wasn't until late afternoon, the hotel let us check out late. We can't wait to visit my brother so we can stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

After a trip of white water rafting in the upper peninsula, we reserved a jacuzzi suite online, to rest our tired bones. We called the hotel to let them know that we would be checking in late ( because of the 4 hr drive), and they told us that was fine, to check in with the bartender-THAT should have been my first clue...

We check in, realize that we are in the wrong room, go back to the bartender- who has to call the manager who is obviously at home. The manager doesn't speak to me, doesn't even consider coming back to the hotel to fix this problem. The bartender, (who is the only one trying to be helpful while tending to his bar customers), finds a suite which is unoccupied and tries to accommodate us but does not have the master key to let us in the suite. We decide to leave the hotel because we were tired, hungry , and fed up with ridiculousness and incompetence of the entire situation. The bartender asked me to leave my number for the manager, which I did, and who NEVER even called to apologize.

Originally, we had made the reservation for Ruby Marie because it seemed charming and quaint, instead of the Governor's Club Madison Concourse. We were so wrong! After this horrifying experience, and after taking a look around at the hotel itself (dusty, outdated, dingy environment), we know better. There are so many other better places to stay in Madison, who know what service is about. Take a look at the other 17 places before this one, before making a reservation here

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

This place was great, very convienent location and i loved the fact it had its own bar. Breakfast in the morning was good, nice simple stuff complimentary but the option to order other things if you want. The decor wasn't to my personal taste, but was clean and comfortable and functional.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Ruby Marie? Share your experiences!