“Older but solid” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Athens, Ohio
“Older but solid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel while doing an overnight in Madison using Hotwire. It turned out to be a really nice find. While the hotel has an older feel, particularly in the lobby and elevators, the room itself was very nice and the location was quite convenient for getting to downtown and the university. The area itself is a little light on services right around the hotel, but a short hop on the highway gets one to restaurants and shops. Very good stay indeed.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here while my daughter was attending SOAR for the UW-Madison. It was a short drive to the campus and downtown so we liked the location. Service was excellent. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. There are a lot of nice touches like free snacks when you check-in, free bottles of water in the room, free cookies in the afternoon and free drinks and appetizers in the late afternoon (I noticed I used the word free a lot in that sentence!).

The rooms are worn but comfortable. The closet was huge, there was plenty of counter space to put all of your bathroom stuff, and a small refrigerator to store cold drinks.

I used the work-out room while I was there. I was the only one in there so was able to use the one elliptical machine there.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and I would definitely think about returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed here July 10-16 with a group from Canada for an archery tournament next door at the Alliant Energy Center. Very convenient to be next to this venue.
Hotel staff were very accommodating, and shuttled our group of teens and adults numerous places.
Rooms were pretty average. Pool area was a bit dated but clean and everything worked well.
Only thing I found frustrating was the cleaning staff were very hit and miss. Had to actually approach staff at around 3pm twice during my stay to ensure room got cleaned. 2 days it didn't. They did bare minimum service, seemed like basically just made bed and changed towels. Nothing else was tidied up, wiped down, replaced, etc. It wasn't a deal breaker for me but definitely frustrating and it's a basic thing to expect.
Other then that, the front desk staff and other employees were great and assisted our group whenever asked. Thanks!

Stayed July 2014
ClarionMadison, General Manager at Clarion Suites at the Alliant Energy Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I apologize for problems you may have had with Housekeeping service. I have discussed your comments with my Executive Housekeeper. The issues have been addressed and we will make every effort to correct any improper procedures. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am pleased that you chose our hotel and hope that you will return again soon. We would like another chance to provide you with exceptional service.
Sault Ste. Marie,Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the Clarion Suites for 5 nights to attend Wing Ding. Staff and service was great. Large rooms, comfy beds and the people that cleaned our room did a super job. Would recommened you check this hotel out if you are planning a trip to Madison.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

On the website it indicated this hotel was "pet friendly". Normally I will pay $10 to have my pets in a choice hotel. The mobile website did not indicate a fee but I thought it was a similar set up to other choice hotel. Wrong. They ended up charging us $50 for the dogs, even though I had booked the room with my hotel points and was not being charged for the room. I feel this fee is outrageous compared to most other choice hotels. In addition, Vanessa who checked us in was extremely slow at checking me in and was far from friendly. The room we stayed in had dated decor and the carpet was very old and worn. I will never stay here again when I am in the Madison area and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014
Joann B, Front Office Manager at Clarion Suites at the Alliant Energy Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Erinn,

Thank you for letting us know of the issues that you experienced. I very much apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. These are certainly not the standards to which I hold my staff accountable, and I would very much appreciate if you would contact me directly at (608) 284-1234 ext. 6406 or jb@clarionmadison.com so that I can make this right for you.

I have checked our mobile website and I do see the pet fee listed on our booking page. Was there a different website that did not have this listed properly? I will certainly check with our property support team to ensure that this information is more apparent.

I will definitely share your comments with our management team. We use your feedback to improve, and I thank you for letting me know of these issues to prevent their re-occurrence. We would appreciate if you will give us another chance to provide you with award-winning service if you return to Madison. I hope to hear from you soon.

J. Boston, Front Office Manager
(608) 284-1234 ext. 6406
jb@clarionmadion.com
Edmonton,Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Just loved it. Room was huge. They had two queens, a sofa , flat screen tv, and a little kitchenette. Very clean. Check in was fast and great. Cookies for everyone on front desk. Free breakfast. Free wifi. What else can u ask for.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ClarionMadison, General Manager at Clarion Suites at the Alliant Energy Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
doctorCanada,
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accomodations and your stay with us. We hope that you will return again soon!
Best Regards,
Marinette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was exactly what we needed during the state wrestling tournament. It was clean, comfortable, had a nice sitting area and kitchen with a separate bedroom, served a nice breakfast, and price was very reasonable considering it's proximity through the parking lot to the stadium. We have been coming to this meet for many years and have stayed in rooms for much more money and were much less satisified. We will be coming here from now on.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Marinette Inn,
Thank you for you kind words regarding your stay with us for the Wrestling Tournaments in Madison. I appreciate hearing good things and I will share them with my staff. We hope you return again soon!
G. Niesl

Been to Clarion Suites at the Alliant Energy Center? Share your experiences!