“Mixed bag” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Iowa
“Mixed bag”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was my third visit to the Hilton in Madison. The other two stays were pleasant, and I would have rated it a 4-5. This past visit was not so great.
The good: Great location, friendly staff, and nice views of the lake if you have a room pointing that direction.
The bad: This last visit I was given room 316. The amount of noise coming from the water pipes was ridiculous. I don't think I've ever been awakened by the sound of water pipes before. A new experience that I don't wish to repeat.
I'm guessing some rooms are good and have no such noise (my prior two stays I did not experience it) and some rooms aren't so good.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you which rooms do and do not have loud pipes. As I don't like to leave my quality of sleep up to chance, I'm probably going to stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Boulder Junction, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We were trying to dodge nasty winter weather "up North", and had to hit the road before the storm set in, so we tried to make an on-line reservation (Expedia)...this was one of the "masked" 3.5 star hotels where you pay the money and THEN find out where you're staying. (In our experience, this is usually worth the risk) VERY pleased to stay at this Hilton - comfy beds, well appointed room and facility, and a short walk to State Street and all the delights that are downtown Madison. All staff helpful and courteous. Hope to stay here again soon! Thanks.

Room Tip: We had a room with a State Capital view. Really nice!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Michael W, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope to have you stay with us again in the future.
Ripon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at this hotel despite the fact that the room advertised a King size bed and in fact, it was only a queen. (but we paid for a king). We had a corner room with wonderful views of the lake. Breakfast was decent. We would stay again, despite the problems we had here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am sorry about the confusion with your room type. Our hotel does not have any rooms that have Queen beds, I can promise you that the bed you had during your stay with us was a King bed. While you were not satisfied with your bed I am very pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your room. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you again.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Don't get me wrong- this hotel is beautiful. Very upscale, excellent views, and very clean and updated. That being said, I still think comparatively I've stayed at equally nice hotels that have been a better bargain. When we stayed, we had trouble parking. The lot was full and we were directed to park in the Hilton's spots in the Monona Terrace parking garage. However, none of the staff seemed to know which spots were actually for Hilton guests, if we'd be charged, what the parking rules were for overnight, etc. So we took our chances and luckily didn't get ticketed or towed. We had the breakfast buffet in the morning. Usually when I travel I'm used to hotels providing a complimentary breakfast. So we ended up paying 40$ for what I would consider just your average breakfast.
It is right in downtown which is a huge plus for convenience and the pool was a nice amenity. Overall would I stay again? Possibly, but not before shopping around first. It was just sort of eh for the price.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking Lake Monona. Excellent view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I am sorry that you did not find our hotel a bargain compared to other hotels you have stayed at but I am happy to hear that you found our location to be a huge plus. Our pricing may be a little higher than some other hotels in Madison because we are the only hotel in Madison with such a convenient location. I would also like to apologize for the confusion with parking. The only parking we control is the parking garage directly under the hotel. While guests can utilize other parking options around the hotel they are required to follow the guidelines of whichever location where they choose to park. I will be speaking with our Front Office Manager to ensure that we are training our staff properly in explaining alternative parking options to our guests. I hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guest again.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I spend a fair amount of time in Madison for work and I prefer to stay at the Hilton due to 1) location 2) brand and 3) level of service. The staff is extremely helpful and often times I can get away without having to rent a car and the shuttle service both too and from the airport as well as to the office has been great. I plan on using the Hilton as my home base while I continue to work in Madison for the next 9 months.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for the great review and thank you for choosing to make us your home away from home for the next 9 months! I am sure that you will continue to receive the same great service that you have experienced thus far.
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Top notch hotel. Quick check-in, clean rooms, super comfortable beds, beautiful views and excellent food from room service! Alot of nice touches. If you plan to use a laptop be prepared - there is an extra charge for WI-FI.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Michael W, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I am pleased to share that we just began offering free WIFI earlier this year. I hope you get a chance to stay with us again!
Green Bay, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The hotel was very nice and clean. Since this was a business trip, I did not really concern myself with costs, however, I would not be able to afford this if it were leisure. I had dinner in the Hotel restaurant, and for me, by myself, my bill was $80.00. Now this is 1 drink, soup, and a steak. Don't get me wrong, it was very tasty, but a bit overpriced for my preference. Anyway, if you can afford it, I would totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am glad that you found our hotel to be nice and clean! Our housekeeping staff does a great job in keeping our hotel clean. I am sorry that you found our onsite restaurant to be expensive but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal. Thank you for the recommendation and I hope you get the chance to stay with us again.

Been to Hilton Madison Monona Terrace? Share your experiences!