Let me preface this review by saying that if you're thinking about staying here pay more attention to the most recent reviews first and discard those that are from 5+ years ago. I was on the fence about staying at this hotel for an extended period of time because of some of the bad reviews and because a couple of people I know had stayed here a few years ago and had a lot of complaints. A lot must have changed in the past few years, though.
There are nice aesthetic upgrades throughout. You can still tell it's an older building, the front desk area is small, the elevator is older, and the toilet/shower area is kind of dark and dingy. Still, I gave this place 5 stars to hopefully help even out the overall score that's been brought down by old reviews.
- Friendly staff.
- Housekeeping did a good job. They didn't clean our room often because of our schedule, but they left notes every time we had our "do not disturb" sign up to let us know they were there.
- Location. Really close to downtown Madison, with easy access to the Interstate and major roadways.
- Upgrades! This place has a HUGE sofa, too.
- Automatic opening front doors. The first I've seen in a hotel and quite handy for when your arms are full of your luggage.
- Parking. It seems to be hit-or-miss. Some nights the lot was almost empty, others you had to either wait for a spot or park at Perkins (boo! I personally expect there to be enough parking when I'm paying to stay at a nice hotel.)
- Small business area. There's only one computer, and if it's taken you have to wait.
- The food. They have 24/7 access to hot water and coffee, as well as some smaller items like juice and yogurt, but that's not enough to redeem them for the sub-par breakfast. Even though I could take my complaining self back to the room and cook some breakfast, the quality of the food left a lot to be desired. We ventured out and tried some of the eggs, breakfast sausages, watered down oatmeal and make-your-own waffles... but the safest bet was cereal or a bagel.
- Occasionally you can hear some highway noise and sirens, but if you're not a super light sleeper it shouldn't bother you.
- The toilet/shower area was dark and dingy, and seemed a little more crammed than what I'm used to at hotels. It looks like it was forgotten during the update. But, really, who needs a luxurious toilet area?
Overall, would definitely recommend. Cross your fingers for parking and bring some groceries and you'll have a perfect stay.
Request the top floor, it was nice and quiet.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.