“Very Pleased” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very Pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I wanted to give this an excellent rating and came very close to it. The facility has been renovated and is lovely. The manager and the staff are very accommodating and efficient. The breakfast is pretty darn good for this price point and apparently others staying at the hotel agreed as the eating area can get packed. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The fresh cookies at 7:00 pm are EXCELLENT.
The reasons I did not give it an excellent and these are mainly personal reasons: the towels could be a bit thicker for the room price - did not feel like "saving" them for the next day, would rather get fresh ones. The exercise room is a complete joke - extremely tiny and the meager pieces of equipment are crammed in "cheek to jowl". Thankfully we were there in warm weather and I could walk/jog outside. There is no guest laundry. Only one elevator and it is slow.
It is within walking distance of the Alliant Center. There are biking, walking, jogging trails right next to the hotel. However, there only close restaurant is the Sheraton Hotel next door and that is pricey. Some restaurants will deliver, ask the front desk.
Please note, this property is changing from a Holiday Inn Express to another franchise in the fall of 2014. There is a new Holiday Inn Express being built down the street.

Room Tip: The elevator is slow and there is only one. If that will make you crazy, get a room on the first or...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've stayed at many holiday inns/affiliate hotels. This one was average. My rooms had 2 Queens, which was a BIG plus. Who sleeps on doubles anymore? Two queens are hard to find so I appreciated that. Did not hear any noise from other rooms and the hotel was full. Mini-fridge in room, which was nice. Bathroom had been remodeled and was clean. Location is short drive/cab ride to state street, capital, etc. My only complaint, we could NOT get the room to cool off. The air conditioner just couldn't do it, we let it run all evening (in 60s) while we were out and it was still warm. Breakfast was typical holiday inn express, pancakes, hard boiled eggs, cereal, rolls, and eggs. They only serve breakfast until 9:30 though...we could have used 30 more minutes. We had to rush in the morning to get breakfast. Parking lot is small and was completely full. I appreciate they do enforce their parking so others form nearby hotels, etc. cannot stay in the lot unless registered. I would stay here again for a night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madison, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear weyes,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Bend, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Received two compementory alcoholic beverages upon arrival, which were served by a very lovely hostess!
Rooms were very clean. Hotel newly remodeled. Ice cold lemon water served around the clock.
Free breakfast in the morning consisted of several things to choose from, biscuits and gravy, bacon and eggs, pancakes, cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt and more! Along with juice, coffee, milk. Free parking. We will definitely seek out this hotel the next time we stay in Madison.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Munroe Falls, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Terrible stay! My room smells like RAW SEWER!!! There is a cleaner used that I am having a terrible reaction to it, so if you have allergies, stay somewhere else! Internet service does not exist in the room. I had to go to the lobby to do e-mails.
Front desk did not ask me if I wanted bonus points for my stay or a bottle of water. That's standard at IHG hotels if you are a Priority club member. She was rude when I asked for a room not at the end of the hall.
I wanted to be a little closer to my work on Thursday. Now I know...I need to drive a little farther and stay at a different brand where I know everything works and it doesn't smell like sewer!

STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay in 201!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madison, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
The cleaning products we use are from Ecolab, the vendor of literally thousands of hotels across the country. We use them in every room, every day and have never had the issues that you experienced.
Our internet service scores very high marks on the overwhelming majority of guest stays. It is provided by Charter Communications and we subsribe to the highest speed service they offer.
Again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and will monitor the issues you brought up.
Las Vegas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express our first three nights in Madison, WI. My son's company put us there for the stay (in his name - Sergey Baranov). The room was very spacious with two very comfortable queen beds. The staff was "GREAT...!" - from the front desk, to the maids and the restaurant & service personnel. The food at the restaurant was very good as well - we ate dinner there three nights. They encouraged him to be a part of the Holiday Inn frequent traveler program, and enrolled him. As a Delta AirLines Captain, I've frequented many hotels, and enjoyed our stay here very much. The Location was only 1 mile to the Eastside Mall, and 10 minutes to the Capitol. THe only drawback was no free breakfast, but they did give us a special low rate for breakfast at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Very quite location - good for a very restful stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words regarding our recently remodeled hotel.

We thank you for staying with us and look forward to your next visit to Madison.
Eau Claire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

When I entered into the Holiday Inn Express I was greeting by Vincent who checked me into my hotel room. He was very friendly and told me about the changes to their hotel and how it was to be changing to a Comfort Inn in November. I sent on my way with a bottle of water and a cookie upon check in; a nice little treat for me! The hotel was renovated two month ago in their public spaces and also in each hotel room. The hotel even even had the "new carpet" smell; good in my eyes. My room was VERY clean. I work in the industry so I do have very picky standards and this room was almost spotless. Great customer service and a clean room? Sign me up for this hotel next time I'm in Madison regardless of the brand name!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our newly remodeled hotel.

We are glad to see you appreciated and enjoyed all of the improvements and the service of our staff exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Linden, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I also stayed at this hotel during the badger game,and if you are traveling in groups and are sports oriented stay away.yes we were eating pizza and having a few drinks,but it was far from being loud.The looks on the officers face when they walked in was like this is a disturbance,you can not check with management because there is none on site.District manager BOB can sugar coat his version all he would like,but ask the other 15 or so families that we're trying to watch the BADGERS IN MADISON you will get a very different story.how the front desk can bring you over plates for the pizza and then within 15 minutes kick u out,but also allow a different group to drink in the pool area that allows no food or drink.I had never been treated this way at a hotel and probably never will because I will never stay at a hotel that is affiliated with holiday inn,and bob go ahead and sugar coat this all u would like.Oh by the way when I checked out Sunday there was a sign sitting where we were that says lounge,apparently not,and no we did not ask to use this area but I didn't ask to use the pool either

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madison, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Denny L,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Madison. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Madison? Share your experiences!