“2nd visit as good as the first” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
43 North is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 822 restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: E. Main St. at S Webster St
Description: Contemporary American dining just off the Capital Square.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“2nd visit as good as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We found this spot about a year ago, and we had the opportunity to come back and confirm just how good a place this is. Great meal, fresh local ingredients, energetic staff - it is now on our short list of Madison favorites. We had their special of the day - a Black Cod that was outstanding. Shared a great cheese plate for dessert that featured local cheeses. Service was outstanding. Will keep coming back!

90% Recommend
“Restaurant Week Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went with three friends for restaurant week, all were impressed with the drinks and local wine/beer offerings. The food was delicious and it was great to see into the kitchen as it was being made. The place was fancy but still approachable, a nice upbeat switch from Cafe Continental that had previously been in the location. Looking forward to eating here again.

• Visited August 2012
Oshkosh, WI
“Excellent food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just ate at 43 North for a company dinner. We had the place to ourselves. The food, wine, and service were outstanding.
I would love to go back and see what other wonderful things they have on the menu.

• Visited August 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
“outstanding food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was on business trip and we were walking with my collegue trying to find a decent place for dinner and I am glad we ended up at 43 North. The duck with grapefruit wasabi glaze I remember for a long time. I love duck and game, and that one was one of the best I ever had. Moist, tender, with perfect crispy for duck top and very yammy. Since that trip in May, I was in Germany and Italy, dining in MIchelin star restaurants and always had duck as a main course- none it even closely resembled the dish I had in Madison. Outstanding food. Bravo! Service is slow, but it is on purpose- do not rush eating your meal, enjoy every bite while it lasts.

• Visited May 2012
washington, D.C.
“Great food, not-so-great service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We recently went to this restaurant which is in a pleasant location in downtown Madison. It was a weekday evening and not crowded; perhaps 3 or 4 other tables there. The menu is diverse and allows the very nice option of either full or half portions for most items. We thought the food was fabulous, starting with two excellent salads and ending with 3 delicious entrees (the scallops, the salmon and the waygu beef). The real problem was the service. It was quite slow in spite of them not being busy. Also, the waiter started to put down my husband's entree at the same time as my salad, which would be strange enough even if he hadn't ordered his own salad.
All in all, great food, but don't go if you're in a hurry!

• Visited June 2012