“Convenient” 3 of 5 stars

141 S Butler Street, Madison, WI 53703   |
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Friendly place and very nice location. Convenient price. It feels secure, which is important if you're traveling solo. That said, I had trouble sleeping because my mattress was too soft and gave me a backache, and the room was too hot (traveled during the summer); not to mention that one of my roommates was snoring ;). It is ok for one or two nights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I like this hostel, it was clean and the location was wonderful. It was a bit small but that was not a problem. I just needed a place to sleep and wind down from all the walking.I went on May so I guess it was a low season 'cause I didn't have a lot of roommates which was marvelous, not complaining. pros: location, cost, neighborhood is safe. Cons: noise(it only happened one time, there was a fight/disagreement outside my room, but other time it was quiet.)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ithaca, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I've stayed at a *lot* of hostels, both in North America and Europe. This hostel is pretty badly run; I think the staff need some training. When I entered the hostel, the TV was blaring at *top volume* - I couldn't even hear the staff at the check in counter. When I asked her to ask the people watching the TV to have them turn it down, she said they were 'hard of hearing'. I then asked her again, and she went out and had them reduce the volume somewhat. But on coming back she told me I needed to tell them to turn it down if I wanted it turned down further (which I did). When I came back in from getting my luggage it was up to blaring again and remained that way for a whole hour. Bleck. The second day, the radiator in my room wasn't working even though it was below 0 and snowing outside. When I finally found a staff member to ask about it, she said 'O yeah, that happens sometimes'. Luckily she found a space heater for the room, but the fact that I had to ask about it, and it seems it happens a lot isn't great for visitors. Finally, this hostel seems to host people who aren't travellers, but workers in Madison - which I thought wasn't allowed. They would regularly fall asleep in the only (small) common room too, and snore, so it was kind of awkward to try and read a book or anything in there. They charge $7 a day for parking, so it might be worth it (it was in my case) to just find a cheap-o hotel instead through Priceline rather than this place. BUT. The beds are comfy and the kitchen is clean, so if it's your only option know you'll get a good sleep but be prepared for loudness and coldness.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Overall this was a good hostel. It was clean, the staff was friendly, perfect location in downtown, well equipped kitchen, games, books, and more. What really lost points for me was that it felt repressive. There were signs everywhere telling one what to do and what not to do. From the bathroom, to the showers, to the kitchen. Some made sense; they were informative. Others felt like common sense and didn't require the long drawn out explanation for why a sign was needed. I like to believe people in hostels are smart and can figure out how to clean dishes. Another problem, and I realize it is a Hosteling International USA policy, but I just cannot understand the no alcohol policy. It just feels repressive and feels like they have no trust in their guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Location of the hostel is great - just around the corner from downtown and the state Capitol building. Staff were all friendly and informative. Cleanliness marked as average due to dust around pipes in the room. Felt a bit like student digs on account of the lurid decor and what appeared to be salvaged furnishings, there were quite a few rule notices posted about too, instead of being on one, cohesive document. Bed was super comfy however and in 35oC heat the rooms air con was invaluable. Just wasn't our cup of tea but a good base for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011 via mobile

I've stood here with my husband more than 4 times over the past 2 years and have enjoyed every stay. The staff is always great and the facilities got better each time.

The mattreses got much better over the years and the location is just steps from Downtown Madison. I just wish they had a few more parking spots!

• Stayed August 2010

Been to HI-Madison Hostel? Share your experiences!