“3 or 4 stars depending on room you get” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lowell Center

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
The Lowell Center
610 Langdon Street, University of Wisconsin-Extension, Madison, WI 53703   |
St. Paul, MN
“3 or 4 stars depending on room you get”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed twice at this place in the last couple weeks - once for the SOAR and the next time when we moved my son into his dorm. The first time, I absolutely loved it. The room was long and skinny and the bathroom was huge. The A/C worked fine and the beds were very comfortable.

I wish I could say the second stay was just as nice. But I can't. We got a tiny room and the bathroom reminded me of the bathroom when I was on a cruise. Very small and hardly any place to put anything. Also, we could not get the room cool and it was very hot during move-in. As a result, I slept terribly.

We all agreed the continental breakfast left a lot to be desired. The waffles were good but just about everything else was just OK.

If I went back I would try to make sure I got one of the bigger rooms. Ironically, I paid more for the smaller room (but not by much).

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

A unique place to stay...hotel style rooms in a dormatory atmosphere. Rooms well appointed, nicely fuurnished and decorated. Lacks services such as dining. Walking to food is necessary. Two blocks up is college town and offers a variety of ethnic cousine. Lowell does offer pretty good continental breakfast. I liked their 9 foot deep swimmming pool even though it seemed to be in a darkened ghost town. Fitness room just a couple of pieces of equipment in another small dark room. If you are looking for an inexpensive clean and comfortable place to stay, then this is it.

• Stayed July 2012
WisconsinTraveler7, Guest Relations Manager at The Lowell Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Hi michrnbeck - thanks for choosing The Lowell Center for lodging during your Madison visit! I'm glad to hear you had a good stay with us. If you have any additional feedback, feel free to call me at 608-890-0392. Hope to see you again soon.
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at Lowell Center as part of a high school reunion. It was terrific really. The idea of a converted dorm did not sound so appealing, but it was refurbished beautifully with clean crisp lines, adequate use of space, a view of Lake Mendota and breakfast included in our rate. The bed was extremely comfortable. Best of all, affordable and a real value.

Room Tip: upgrade to a Lake view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
WisconsinTraveler7, Guest Relations Manager at The Lowell Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hi natsgg - thanks for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing The Lowell Center for lodging during your Madison visit! I'm glad to hear you had a good stay with us. If you have any additional feedback, feel free to call me at 608-890-0392. Hope to see you again soon.
Northfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here while at a meeting. the facility is comfortable, clean and certainly a great value. Centrally located if you need to be near the U. Decent breakfast. Recently (not sure when) remodeled. Helpful desk staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and TripAdvisor users! I'm really happy to hear you had a nice stay with us. If you have any additional comments or feedback, please contact me directly at 608-890-0392. Hope to see you here again soon. Thanks!
Hancock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Lowell Center. My husband was at the University for a conference and I tagged along. We stayed here about 6 years ago, and it was okay then, but they just completed a renovation of the property and WOW! It is really nice. It reminds me of a boutique hotel--the rooms are small--but very tastefully decorated and comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe room on the 7th floor (room 719). The view of Lake Mendota from our room was beautiful and room was very quiet. Bathroom and room are small, but adequate for two people. Bed was so comfortable, that I asked for the name/maker of mattress before we left because I'd like to purchase one. I slept great with all the pillows/triple sheeting/down comforter. The room AC worked very well and was not super loud. The shower head height was fine (think this was part of the upgrade). The breakfast in the morning was very good--much better than most hotels that offer breakfast. The only negatives I have is that the coffee at breakfast was really weak. I also was excited to see that there were Koreg coffee makers in the room, but I tried it the first morning and coffee tasted awful. The maker smelled like it needed to be cleaned... However, this place is 1 block off State Street and there are great coffee houses about every 10 feet (okay....20 feet!). Aside from the coffee pot, the rest of the room and hotel was very clean. For a building that used to be a dorm, they've done a great job with it. Pool was also nice. Front desk staff very nice and loaned me an umbrella the day it rained. Not really a valet, but gave good directions and recommendations. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
WisconsinTraveler7, Guest Relations Manager at The Lowell Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and TripAdvisor users! I've shared your comments with our entire team, and we were all very pleased to hear you had a nice stay with us. I also shared your feedback re: our coffee and the Keurig coffeemakers with our management team. If you have any additional comments or feedback, please contact me directly at 608-890-0392. Hope to see you here again soon. Thanks :)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were touring various colleges in Wisconsin and Illinois and were looking to stay very close to every campus we visited. The Lowell Center was excellent. The room size, the room itself, the air conditioning, the location, the breakfast were all the fantastic especially for the price. The staff was really helpful as well. The Lowell Center was our first stop so all others we stayed at were pricier and the accomdations were ok to disappointing. Thanks for a very comfortable night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor! I was delighted to read your review, and glad to know you had a nice stay with us. If you have any additional comments or feedback, please contact me directly at 608-890-0392. Hope to see you again soon!
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I had a week-long residency at the University of Wisconsin, and my host arranged for me to stay at the Lowell Center. I was upgraded to a lake view room. It was very comfortable and quiet. The location was good - close to where I was teaching and close to State Street. Breakfast was good and varied from day to day. My shower was great. So, perhaps the hotel has remedied the issues identified previously. If you're looking for someplace on campus and close to State Street, this is a very good option.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at The Lowell Center. I was very happy to read that you had a good experience during your stay. If you have any additional comments or feedback, I'd love to hear them. Please feel free to contact me directly at 608-890-0392. Hope to see you again very soon.

Been to The Lowell Center? Share your experiences!