“Excellent Choice” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 776 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Full service, casual seafood and grill. Locally owned and operated by Keith and Erin Stoesz
“Excellent Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our luncheon visit included the Seafood Combo (fried popcorn shrimp and lightly battered Haddock). The Haddock was mild, sweet with a delicate battered coating. The popcorn shrimp were not special. They lacked flavor and seemed to have come out of a frozen bag. My partner had a delicious combo of salmon and cod. The salmon had a pleasant salsa of cilantro, avocado, orange, pepper, drizzled with lime. French fries included with each entree were very average. Corn meal muffins offered to start the luncheon were excellent. The atmosphere is pleasantly casual and wait staff very competent. Qualtiy/value is very good.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“AYCE shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Came here with a group of friends to celebrate. Most were locals who were familiar with Joey's and their Thursday all you can eat shrimp special. So I followed suit and ordered this- the price was $20 for many types of shrimp and two sides. The shrimp were prepared grilled, battered, sauteed or poached, some shrimp flavors had a $1 per order upcharge. With the two hopalicious ales, my bill was almost $30 (gratuity included). The decor and presentation were more of a family style low end seafood type place (think Red Lobster gone local) Friends say the crab all you can eat is good too. Staff were friendly and our crowd had fun. It's important to know its in a strip mall so not so easy to spot from the main drag if you are looking for a stand alone place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Delicious crab legs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This restaurant has actually gotten better over the years since they first opened their doors. I went recently and really loved the crab legs they serve here. It's in a nice setting, not far from West Towne Mall in a strip mall. A nice crowd of friendly people seems to always gather here for dining. I've met new friends here while dining with my buddies. Delicious shrimp here as well.

Visited April 2012
Germantown, Tennessee
“Good food at a great price and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The food and service were very good. They have daily specials including all you can eat crab legs. The prices were very reasonable and the entire meal was a great value and delicious.

Visited September 2012
Champaign, Illinois
“Good Seafood for Midwest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I enjoyed our experience @ Joey’s so much that we each wanted to give our own take:

Chris:

I’m from the Midwest and I can say that there just isn’t much of an opportunity to get good seafood. My attitude about eating seafood around here is generally “Why Bother?”… But we took note of Joey’s because they had a tent at the Taste of Madison and we tried their Fried Halibut….and oh my, it was just so simple and mouth watering. So that night, we went over to the restaurant for a full meal. We ordered the dinner for 2 which was a veritable smorgasbord. There were Crab legs, 2 kinds of shrimp, choice of fries/veggies, soup/salad, and dessert. Go for anything fried and the bisque. It was all really fresh and we got some of the shrimp fried and the breading was just as good. Our waitress was great and very candid…telling us the best the restaurant has to offer. Basically, that boiled down to going for any of the seafood, but avoiding the salad/vegetables and opting for soup instead and going for the carrot cake if you get desert. This is one of those meals where you almost don’t feel like you need to eat breakfast in the morning….but in a good way.

Andra:

The battered halibut at the Taste of Madison was possibly the best battered fish that I have ever had, and I have lived on the coast and eat seafood regularly - it was the perfect combination of crispy, flaky, and had great flavor - no tartar sauce, malt vinegar, lemon, salt, or anything needed at all. I was a little worried about eating at Joey's due to some of the low ratings on Yelp, but I just couldn't ignore that fish.

The combination came with soup/salad, crab. shrimp, and dessert - we opted out of the add on lobster tail, which was good because we would have had way too much food. The waitress gave us great recommendations on what to try, since there were so many options. We started out with seafood gumbo, which was wonderful - Joey's serves it with gourmet oyster crackers, which right away impressed me - nothing worse than those little tiny stale crackers for my soup. As for our entree(s) - the crab was cooked very nicely, and came with drawn butter, the shrimp had lots of different preparations, and we got the battered shrimp (same batter as the fish from the Taste - we couldn't resist, and we were not disappointed), and scampi, which was very nice as well. We got mashed potatoes, beans and rice, and corn muffins, and it was all fine, but I didn't really eat any of it - I was enjoying the seafood way too much to get distracted. The carrot cake was great as well, moist, and not too sweet.

The restaurant is good for families (it's not fancy at all, but very clean, comfortable, and modern), has great food, and we sure enjoyed it.

• Visited September 2012