“Smelly room and unfriendly” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #55 of 63 hotels in Madison
“Smelly room and unfriendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel since I always stay at Choice Hotels. I arrived late from a long days drive to an unwelcoming desk attendant. The room I was given smelled like dead fish. I know I should have changed the room, but being too tired and not wanting to talk to the desk attendant I stayed. In the morning I told him the room smelled and instead of being apologetic he just kept saying I should have changed rooms. The place was uninviting and somewhat creepy. I was offered a future discounted stay which I plan not to use. I'd rather spend more money and stay next door at the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed May 2013

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My co-workers and I experienced allergic reactions almost immediately after checking in here, which did not subside until after we left. The vents, heaters and carpets are filthy, but rather than keeping a clean hotel, they have opted to place an auto-spray deodorizer in the hallway, I assume to attempt to mask the smell of mold and mildew.
I found the staff to be average at best, with the cleaning crew unable to understand simple English, and a front desk agent that found it extremely annoying that we needed another box of tissues... There were long black hairs stuck to the shower walls and bathroom floor upon arrival. Also, join us in the 21st century and get new bed coverings! Mine was so dingy and stained that I threw it in a corner the minute I got in the room.
I did not experience the breakfast, as the common area looked so filthy that I stayed as far away as possible.
If I hadn't been booked here through my employer, I wouldn't have stayed more than 5 minutes in this hole.

• Stayed April 2013
Plattevill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were driving home and decided to call hotels from the GPS. Requested room with whirlpool in room. We got one at a better price than expected. They have several "theme" rooms. Great rate and close to several restrauants and shopping mall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Black Mountain, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Don't let the exterior fool you. Granted, it is an older facility. However, our room was very neat and clean. We had a refrigerator, microwave, large screen TV, very comfortable bed/pillows and it was QUIET! Breakfast is standard fare that one can expect..again, neat, clean facility. Parking was close to our room and free. Plenty of restaurants close by and easy on and off to the HY.

Room Tip: This motel is a very good value for their rates...older facility, but exceptionally clean when we st...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Good and average cheap hotel. Near many restaurants and shops. Although, you are going to need to drive your car to go to downtown. The breakfast is pretty good and you can park for free at their parking lot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gourock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked in June for a 2 night weekend stay in Oct, and just as well - there was a game on in town and the place was full! so I was happy I'd paid half the cost by booking well in advance - rather than just walking in needing a place that day. Had a very handy room right next to reception which was not noisy as I thought it might be - and instead of making coffee in the room, we just nipped out into the breakfast area and made one there, as coffee was constantly available.

Breakfast had lots of choices so all in all, it was good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in madison a day earlier thn planned the motel we had reservations at for the next few days was full so wwe checked in at this econo lodge . The staff wss super helpful and even got us in to a handicapped room which we needed. Th room was very clean and had a microwave and refridgerator. Breakfast was very good donuts,bagles, cereal waffles hard boiled eggs juices,etc. We wished we would have stayed here for the rest of our stay as the hotel we stayed at for the rest of our stay was much higher pricd and no refriderator,microwave,or breakfast

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Econo Lodge Madison? Share your experiences!