“Okay...not the best, not the worst” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #57 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
“Okay...not the best, not the worst”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Old, needs remodeling but clean. Location kind of stinks but they had a large selection for breakfast. I had a discount certificate for a 1 night stay...only paid $29 plus tax. Probably would not have stayed here if I had to pay the $69.00 regular rate.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Plainfield WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel - never again. The room was clean but there are absolutely no amenities (shampoo but no conditioner, no hair dryer, only 1 small bar of soap). The noise from the hallways and the thin walls made it impossible to sleep without waking up to voices throughout the night. The staff seemed more bored than wanting to help. Their dress and demeanor left a lot to be desired - very unkept! There was no management on site and when we asked about something, we were told the owner was out of town and they would "try" to reach her to ask our question. A few minutes later, with us still standing there, the desk clerk said she had talked to the owner and gave us her response. Didn't the desk clerk realize we were there the whole time and knew she didn't talk to anyone? The breakfast area did not appear too clean and with everyone handling the utensils and responsible for cleaning up after they cooked their own omelet, waffle, etc. did not lend itself to my feeling it was a healthy and sanitary place to eat.

Room Tip: To choose a good room - go somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed here for work. There was a convention in town and this was the only place available on such short notice. NEVER again.

1) Next to a landfill. Not a messy place--literally, a landfill. The TripAdvisor reviews, with all the pictures of the blooming gardens and well maintained grounds neglected to show the huge landfill next door.

2) People live in this hotel which is problematic for a few reasons. First, there are entire families running through the TILED hallways (yes, tiled), swimming together, washing their clothing together, playing in the parking lot, eating the free breakfast together, etc.

3) Speaking of the free breakfast...there was a sign taped onto the window of the breakfast area warning patrons to avoid the flying ants because they sting. Despite other reviews that claim the free breakfast consists of a spread fit for a king, it really consists of standard crap that you will find at any continental breakfast. The only additional bonus, of course, are the flying ants.

4) I was scared for my life and kept the lights on the whole night I was there. I did not dare bathe in the grimy shower. Needless to say, I was borderline worthless at my meeting the next day, having slept about 1 hour. On a positive note, however, I survived the night, so I couldn't be too upset.

5) There was some strange smell making it through the AC. When I complained I was told that the maintenance person was gone for the night, there were no rooms available for me to move to, and that life would have to go on. The front desk graciously offered to call the manager so I could speak to them, but I wasn't clear why given that the smell wouldn't be addressed and I couldn't change rooms.

6) Free Wifi. I use this term lightly bc it did not work. At all. Ever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
nanni34, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Madison, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments and sorry for your trouble. We have a heated outdoor pool and do not open it until memorial day. Also we do not have a sign regarding flying ants. Are you sure that you have the right hotel?
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have to travel to Madison for business conferences about 2 times a month and having been using American Best Value Inn since July. It is easy for me to get to I90 from there. The staff always seems friendly to me and the rooms are clean. I will definately be staying here many more times because it gives me a great night sleep for a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Montrose, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hallways are tiled so bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper staying in a higher traffic area. For the money it provides what you pay for, a comfy bed, a hot shower, some amenities, nothing noticeably unclean. When possible we travel with pillows from home as we seldom find any we like when using budget travel options and these fell into the bean bag category. Breakfast was relatively unsupervised as managements only function seemed to be keeping the supplies topped up. Everyone got to handle the cooking utensils and ingredients as they took their turn at the griddle or waffle-maker. There were other more sanitary options like fruit and cereal available for the squeamish but is it legal to use dry coffee creamer in Wisconsin? This little slice of roadside nirvana is situated between the landfill and the casino but neither intruded on our brief stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A careful read of all the "positive" reviews of this hotel (by reviewers who have written only one review, and all in very similar writing style) convinces me that all of them are being written by the owners/management of the hotel.

I have traveled the country in my part-time job and am very familiar with cheap hotels. I would rank this one among the worst. It is in very poor condition, the service is surly at best, and the mattress in my room was stained in a blood-like color. During my relocation to Madison I found this hotel listed on Craigslist (low monthly rate) and had stayed for two weeks with the intention of staying for a month. When my wife from visited from out-of-town, she tolerated one evening in the place before ordering me out the following day (I was only too happy to comply).

Yes the hotel is next to a landfill but in all honesty that did not bother me. The clientele at this hotel is also what you'd expect at this price range (very loud and inconsiderate of other guests) but that also is not entirely the hotel's fault.

When I was checking into the hotel I was impressed by the claims of the "made to order" breakfast. The interesting thing is that you had to make it yourself. It was OK for an inexpensive hotel but greatly overrated.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
nanni34, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Madison, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Sorry for your trouble. If you would have let us know about the dirty mattress we could have replace it. Since you were staying for a month, you were put into an extended stay room. These rooms are discounted since they are not yet updated like the daily rooms. Extended stay room rates average about half the cost of a daily room rate. Most of our guests are happy to save money with the extended stay rooms rates. But next time you can choose to stay in our newly updated daily rooms rates. If you want to contact me directly, please email me at madisonhotelproperties@gmail.com and we can discuss a workable solution for the unfortunate incident that you encountered. Thank you for your response.

management
Rosemont, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nice clean room with basic ammenity, bed was comfy and the nice think was breakfast.If you looking luxury hotel with the rate they offer you going the wrong place. Dont believed what people wrote there...to much expectation but wants to really good deal.

Hotel litte bit old but they keep up really clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Madison? Share your experiences!