“WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! Avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #57 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
“WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A careful read of all the "positive" reviews of this hotel (by reviewers who have written only one review, and all in very similar writing style) convinces me that all of them are being written by the owners/management of the hotel.

I have traveled the country in my part-time job and am very familiar with cheap hotels. I would rank this one among the worst. It is in very poor condition, the service is surly at best, and the mattress in my room was stained in a blood-like color. During my relocation to Madison I found this hotel listed on Craigslist (low monthly rate) and had stayed for two weeks with the intention of staying for a month. When my wife from visited from out-of-town, she tolerated one evening in the place before ordering me out the following day (I was only too happy to comply).

Yes the hotel is next to a landfill but in all honesty that did not bother me. The clientele at this hotel is also what you'd expect at this price range (very loud and inconsiderate of other guests) but that also is not entirely the hotel's fault.

When I was checking into the hotel I was impressed by the claims of the "made to order" breakfast. The interesting thing is that you had to make it yourself. It was OK for an inexpensive hotel but greatly overrated.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
nanni34, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Madison, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Sorry for your trouble. If you would have let us know about the dirty mattress we could have replace it. Since you were staying for a month, you were put into an extended stay room. These rooms are discounted since they are not yet updated like the daily rooms. Extended stay room rates average about half the cost of a daily room rate. Most of our guests are happy to save money with the extended stay rooms rates. But next time you can choose to stay in our newly updated daily rooms rates. If you want to contact me directly, please email me at madisonhotelproperties@gmail.com and we can discuss a workable solution for the unfortunate incident that you encountered. Thank you for your response.

management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rosemont, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nice clean room with basic ammenity, bed was comfy and the nice think was breakfast.If you looking luxury hotel with the rate they offer you going the wrong place. Dont believed what people wrote there...to much expectation but wants to really good deal.

Hotel litte bit old but they keep up really clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Not sure why this one is ranked up. We weren't expecting much, but didn't get that. The AC was blowing (in October) and couldn't be controlled; we just unplugged it. The free wifi didn't work. The ceiling in the bathroom was bubbling up.

The halls are tiled, which might appeal to some people, but it does nothing to muffle sounds, and the walls seem to be paper thin. It was the weekend before Halloween in Madison, and maybe we should have expected this, but the loud noise from parties in other rooms kept us up intermittently all night.

Won't be back, if we have a choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. If you would have let the front desk know of your problems with the a/c and the internet not working, they could have moved you to another room. Normally on a sell out night, if the internet was not working the front desk would get several complaints from several customers. The front desk could have contacted maintenance and looked into the internet and a/c problems and/or moved you to another suitable room. I have informed the head housekeeper to keep a closer look for peeling paint. In the event of someone in an adjacent room making loud noises, the front desk is instructed to give them a warning and then call the police if they do not comply with the rules.
Dexter, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I spent two nights in this place and when I arrived the first thing I noticed is the area smells because it is set next to a landfill. As I checked in I could see the common areas where very old, warn, and dirty, but nothing a little hard work and paint couldn’t fix. The rood was not very clean but at least the bed looked and smelled clean so we stayed. The bed and pillows where good but the bath and shower where a mess, also you could hear every sound from the rooms around you. Both mornings I went down to get breakfast and waited behind employees making plate after plate for themselves until all the food was gone and not refilled. On the second morning I complained to the desk about the employees taking all the food and was told that breakfast was almost over anyway so I replied “it wasn’t when I started waiting twenty minutes earlier”, she surged and walked away. As I packed up to leave I thought, it’s the landfill company that should be ashamed of it’s neighbor not the other way around.

Cheap yes, worth it not even close!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
nanni34, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Madison, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Sorry about your problem that you encountered at our hotel. We try to provide rooms with value and affordability. Regarding the incident with employees: I did some investigation and found the front desk clerk that was working at the time of your incident with the employees eating in the breakfast area. The front desk recalls speaking with you. She stated that she is well aware that the employees were not to eat breakfast under any circumstances. She confirmed to me that they did not even arrive to the hotel when you complained to her. She said that there were other customers at the breakfast bar. It was too early for any employees except the desk clerk to be working at the hotel. She confirmed that there were not any employees at the hotel at 9 am in the morning. She told me that morning that everything was filled up at 9 am and did not remove anything until everyone had left the breakfast area. Thank you for your review since it helps us to improve the property whenever possible.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is older but hard to find a good value for the money these days. The bed was very nice and cozy with contemporary triple sheeting with comforter. The breakfast was very special including cook to order omelets. The room was very clean with nice plank flooring. I will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Very nice stay. Although the hotel is older, it is very clean and comfortable. The beds are very comfy and nice, and the plank wood flooring in the room is clean and modern. The breakfast is amazing. I don't remember the last time I had a free full hot breakfast as nice as this. I will be back. If your not looking for a luxury hotel and are on a budget then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Madison? Share your experiences!