“Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Atlanta, Georgia
“Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The Hampton is convenient to any activities in the Madison area. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kimberly, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here for a soccer tournament at the end of July. The hotel was gorgeous, clean, and nicely decorated. The staff was very friendly. The pool had a very nice play area for smaller children, as well as a decent swimming area and nice size hot tub. The breakfast area adjoining the lobby was nice. There were a lot of tables to sit at, as well as TVs throughout. I do have a few minor complaints. The breakfast could have been amazing, they had a lot of options, however, it was very busy when we were there. The breakfast opened at 6, and by 6:30, when we arrived, on the first morning all the scrambled eggs and donuts/pastries were gone. On the second morning, same time, all the cups were gone for both coffee and juice. Also, on both days the garbage cans were overflowing, people were actually piling dirty plates onto tables because there was no room to dispose of the trash. I don't understand why the trash wasn't emptied frequently to keep this from happening. My next complaint would be that the chemicals in the pool were very overwhelming. Even just sitting beside the pool, my eyes were burning. We also had a leaky pipe under our bathroom sink, which leaked on dry clothing of ours. All of these issues could have been overlooked, except for the fact that this hotel cost about 40-50% more than the hotels my family usually stays at. I expected a little more for that price. I had attempted to contact the Hampton, via an online comment, however I have never heard back. I was a bit disappointed. I doubt I would stay here again, only because I've had similar rooms and service in the past for a much lower price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
kgwiazda, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn and Suites Madison West for your recent trip to Madison for your soccer trip. Thank you very much for taking the time to share you feedback on your stay. We understand how valuable your time is and feedback like yours is extremely appreciated as we continue to strive to exceed our guest's expectations. I want to personally apologize to you for the disappointment you experienced with the amenities including the complimentary breakfast, pool chemicals, and the plumbing in your room. We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is just as it should be. I am sorry this was not the case during your stay. You can be confident that we have followed up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were. You really have provided us with lots of great information to not only correct these areas, but to improve them as well. We have taken your feedback and put together an immediate plan of action. We do hope that you give us another opportunity to prove to you that our services and amenities are worth the price and that we are committed to your comfort. Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! I welcome you to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your experience at our property in more detail. My phone number is 608-271-0200. Also, please call me directly should you come back to the Madison area and want to give us another try so I can personally handle your reservation needs.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

In all my reviews for TripAdvisor, I have only given two other excellent ratings because I am one of the pickiest people in the world when it comes to hotels. Everything here was clean and comfortable. Without exaggeration, this is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at!! Breakfast was excellent, always fresh, hot, and plentiful. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and always accommodating. Rooms were very clean, always bright and fresh smelling. There were fresh cookies every night and fresh coffee all day long. The only drawback is the hotel is a little pricey, especially considering our room was noticeably smaller than the two queen rooms we usually book at other hotels and didn't include a refrigerator.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at several Hamptons on a 10 day trip through Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin and they were all consistently very good. Without exception, the beds were very comfortable, the rooms and bathrooms clean, the wireless access excellent, and use of printers etc. very handy and all included in the room price as was breakfast. This hotel had a particularly great pool for kids with lots of features and openings onto an outdoor patio. Breakfast options included hot items, waffles, the full range of muffins, breads, etc., fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, you name it. Staffing was appropriate in terms of making sure items were refreshed quickly and tables cleaned. All the staff that we had contact with were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The hotel is right off an exit and near a large shopping plaza with grocery store, Lands End Inlet, Outback restaurant, etc. all of which we took advantage of. Many great dining options in downtown Madison which was an easy 10 minute drive away. We were at this hotel for 3 nights in a king room. Chose it for driving proximity to FLW Taliesin in Spring Green, Wisconsin. Got an excellent AAA rate - Hampton provides good value if you need wireless access, business services, pool, fabulous fitness rooms and breakfast with great coffee.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Recife, PE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Very good rooms and installations. I really recommend.

• Stayed June 2011
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I and our two teenage girls used this hotel as a base for visiting The House on the Rock and Cave of the Mounds (lovely drives from the hotel to both places). The hotel was VERY clean and the staff was friendly. The breakfast was decent; there was a wide variety of things to choose from, including plenty of healthier choices like yogurt, granola, and bagels. The breakfast room is large, bright, and pleasant. Kids loved the pool. If you have little ones, there is a nice shallow area for them to play in with slides and fountains, etc. Pool area is extremely clean and tidy.
Cleanliness is my number one priority in a hotel, and this is one of the cleanest I've stayed in.
Our double room was spacious and comfortable. The climate control was also one of the best I've encountered. I think this hotel is a very good deal for the money and would definitely recommend it for those who don't want to stay in downtown Madison.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

As Hampton slowly overcomes it's reputation as a mixed bag, this location stands out as one of the very good ones. Relatively new with an attractive location, it is as clean and comfortable as you would expect from a new Hampton, with a friendly staff and an adequate breakfast. Rooms are nicely decorated and the Suite Shop is well stocked. The bed is standard issue Hampton. Bathrooms are appropriate for persons of size and the shower is appropriate for persons of height up to roughly 5' 11". Housekeeping is prompt, comprehensive and polite. The television offerings are more robust than at a lot of other facilities, though no PPV for those of you who want to watch movies.

Check out time is noon, which is appreciated. Not everyone is an early riser.

Considering that, in the past, I've paid more for much worse Hamptons, I'm going to recommend this one without reservation. It isn't perfect however, so here are the minor quibbles:

-Internet access during peak times is subpar, and during off peak times is below average.

-The parking situation is below average as well. The lobby is on floor two, with the property split with half the parking facing this entrance and the other half facing a stairs only entrance to floor one.

-Not the easiest location to find off of the expressway.

-Newspaper delivery is spotty, for those of you who expect this particular perk.

-The workout facility is closed between Midnight and five am. As it does not abut a room, there is no need for this. It should be open 24 hours.

-If staying near the elevator, be aware that the muzak system is loud and the noise will bleed into your room.

-Soundproofing between rooms is very good but not perfect. A small amount of road noise bleeds in as well.

-The air conditioning unit in room does not have a constant on fan setting, unlike other hotels. For those of you who rely on the ambient noise of a fan to sleep, this can be an inconvenience. The unit shuts off when it reaches a temperature whether you want it to or not.

All told, a nice night's sleep at a nice rate in a new Hampton, with services you expect.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!