“Don't Miss the Thai Pavillion” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 127 things to do in Madison
Activities: Viewing foliage
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Madison's most popular attractions, this oasis of green includes a sunken garden, perennial garden, rose garden, rock garden, herb garden, wildflower garden and a tropical conservatory.
St. John's, Canada
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Don't Miss the Thai Pavillion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a delightful time visiting the botanical garden and especially the Thai Pavilion. I felt like I was back in Thailand and it was great to escape into quiet nature into the garden for a few hours away from a conference.

Visited November 2012

Plymouth, Minnesota
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a great place to go and get away from the city. You can spend a few hours walking around the place.

Visited July 2012
Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Very well done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I didn't expect much from a botanical garden in Madison. I mean, we live in the midwest. How good could it be? At best, I thought I might get a few ideas for my own garden. Boy, was I wrong! This garden is very well done, and I found myself taking pictures every few steps. There are woodland gardens, prairie gardens, rose gardens, scuptures, water gardens, bog gardens, and even vegetable gardens, and if you're there at the right time, you can see butterflies emerging from their crysalis inside the conservatory. It's a nice way to spend an hour or two.

Visited June 2012
San Diego
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Blown away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Let's start out with the fact that the outdoor portion of these gardens were free. Yes, free. The indoor conservatory portion cost us $2.00 per person, which I gladly paid, not because the indoor part was spectacular, but because we wanted to support the whole place.

We had just dropped off someone at the airport and wanted something to do for a couple of hours until their plane left. (make sure they took off ok). About 10 minutes away was the Olbrich gardens.

As a visitor, the grounds were scrupulously maintained. The conservatory was nice, with tropical plants, a waterfall and a few butterflies left. There were 15 outdoor gardens, with easy walking paths. We spent a couple of hours wandering through and no one was bored.

If you like theme gardens and are in the area, go.

Visited August 2012
Wausau, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Always something new each season.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We most often stop in and see the gardens when in Madison. With warm weather coming early and staying late the gardens were particularly spectacular this year. We are great hosta fan's and they abound. Everything is so well done and worth the trip.