“A Wonderful Hotel in the Heart of Madison, WI” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53703-2582   |
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Midwest, USA
“A Wonderful Hotel in the Heart of Madison, WI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for an overnight visit to Madison. Parking and check-in were easy and fast. Warm, friendly staff (it's weird having people actually say hello to you when you enter an establishment, I suppose I've lived in large cities for too long!) The room itself was quite spacious and immaculate, with a comfy bed and a bathroom fully stocked with amenities. It was very quiet, in fact I never heard anything or anyone until I left the room. The only "dings" I would give this property are for the ubiquitous poles in the underground parking lot (had to get the car out a very tight spot right next to one, but I was able to manage) and the restaurant breakfast (good but not great, tasty enough though if you don't feel like going out). The hotel is just across the street from the state capital building and in the heart of all the downtown Madison action. I highly recommend this property, it is worth the extra $$ and easily beats most of the local hotels for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Sleepy Hollow, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is a little tired -- musty smell in the hallway, room air conditioner very loud, bathroom clean but could use updating. I wasn't in the Governor's Club, maybe that would be nicer. Location is great for accessing downtown, the Capitol and the University. On my last day, a large conference group came in and the front desk was overwhelmed. I don't think I'd pick this place if I had to visit Madison again.

Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great hotel, every detail is great. We slept really well in comfortable beds with luxurious sheets. Super clean, well maintained.The food the service, the location all five stars,perfect place to stay in the downtown area.
If I were ever to return to Madison, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brookneal, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I just attended a conference at the Madison Concourse. It was the hotel selected by the conference committe and boy did they do a great job. The hotel staff were remarkably friendly and efficient, and very affordable. They assisted my every need from helping me resolve issues with my laptop not connecting to wireless to providing great shuttle service. The Concourse is very conviently located close by the Capital building and all the restaurantes and shops on State Street.

I WILL BE GOING BACK WITH MY WIFE JUST TO ENJOY THE HOTEL AND THE CITY.

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

As a Madison native, I've never had much opportunity to stay at any hometown hotels. Now that I live in Massachusetts, I need a good option for visits to see my family. I think I've found my home base at the Concourse. From the moment we straggled in to this centrally located (couldn't ask for a better location) Madison favorite after unloading a moving truck all day, we felt at home and well cared for. The youthful front desk staff is very good at their job, putting us at ease and we felt welcome. I had chosen the Governor's Club for a stay so that we could have the option of happy hour cocktails, as well as a very important breakfast in the morning, and I am so glad we did. Zachary the bartender in the Governor's Club not only mixes a tight Old Fashioned, but he was so interesting to talk to that we could have just sat at the bar forever and chatted. Breakfast the next day was a very thorough (and tasty) spread of Wisconsin-style danish and kringle, as well as requisite yogurts and cereals, but also Bloodies and good coffee. Our room was great, with a view of the Capitol, a raised King with perfect sheets and pillows (you know what I mean), and very nice toiletries. The best part? The window actually opens, only a little, but just enough to make me happy. The pool and the fitness center looked great, and that's on the agenda for next time. We didn't park a car, so I can't speak to the garage, but did you notice they rent bikes? Welcome to Madison:) Love it.

Room Tip: The Governor's Club is a great deal.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I did not choose to stay here - this is where the conference was located. It was however, a very good choice. Generally when I travel for business the first night is not very restful - new noises, different bed, etc. and I end up yawning my way through the next days meetings. That was not the case when I stayed here. Quiet rooms, great matresses, the best pillows I have ever had in a hotel setting and wonderful, friendly staff.
Very happy this was the chosen hotel - When I need to go to Madison for business or pleasure, this would be my choice of places to stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have stayed here about 5 times over the past ten years and have never been disappointed. Last weekend I purchased a suite for my parents on their 50th wedding anniversary. Everything was great! Soon after I got them into their room there was a knock on the door and there was a bottle of complimentary champagne! My folks loved the Governor's club bar for cocktails before dinner and for brunch the next morning. The staff was just great at check in and my parents even commented on how nice it was to have a professional bartender in the Governor's club. Well done Concourse Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club? Share your experiences!