“Fantastic location for a business meeting” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“Fantastic location for a business meeting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

Last October, we had a breakfast meeting scheduled with visitors staying at the Sheraton in Madison, WI. We did not plan well, because this was during the World Dairy Expo and all nearby hotels were surely full for breakfast! Tyler Dovernbarger, Supervisor at the restaurant, saved our day and our meeting! He put our group in an empty banquet room and asked the restaurant staff to set the table and serve us there. For our group of 8, this literally took seconds, as if our request didn't come at the busiest time of the morning. We could discuss business in a quiet atmosphere. Thank you, Tyler and the friendly staff at the Sheraton restaurant, for making our day and saving our meeting, not to mention coming through with a delicious breakfast !!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Clearwater, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Very nice surprise, the hotel has been renovated recently. Restaurant was good with even better service. Try the 'sliced bacon' appetizer. I like a lobby that is big enough to sit and work in. Beats "in room boredom." they have just that with a coffee bar. Also like to go for a morning walk and evening run. Nice lake behind the hotel and its a about 11 miles around.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Bloomington, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I was thrilled with our Priceline bid acceptance ($55/night) until we got to the hotel. For what we paid this hotel is excellent but for the regular rates they charge I would have been highly disappointed.

The remodel is adequate and some of the design elements in the lobby/hallways are nice, but the rooms look dated. The carpet was worn, the bathrooms are clearly circa 1990, the heater was something you'd expect in a dormitory, and the cleanliness wasn't there. Cobwebs in corners, fingerprints all over the desk/nightstands and grimy floorboards. It's not disgusting, but not what you'd expect from a Sheraton.

We couldn't access the free wifi in our room at the end of the hall. We had to walk our netbook down the hall until we could connect and then return to the room with one or two bars and hope we didn't lose it. This may be a room they reserve for Priceliners, which I always find frustrating.

The location is great; just across the lake from downtown and very near UW campus. Again, there's nothing "wrong" with this hotel but I wouldn't have been happy if I would have paid over $100/night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Rock City, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

I stayed at the Sheraton tis past weekend to celebrate my birthday. One of my girlfriends joined me and we had a great time.

The hotel is beautiful and (I believe) now fully renovated. The room was spacious and the beds were awesome. My friend said that she had not slept that well in years!

We got a great deal from Hotwire, but I was a bit disappointed when the listing indicated that this hotel was downtown, which I had hoped would mean walking distance. It is about 2 miles from the downtown area. Walking distance in warm weather maybe, but NOT that evening. No worries, a free shuttle is provided with "last call" at 10:45 pm. We were out later, but they gave us a card for the "cheapest" taxi. The shuttle driver indicated it should be about $6 for a ride back, but it was over $9.

I thouroughly enjoyed the pool/hot tub area, which I had all to myself. The hot tub was the perfect temp. I would caution those with small children that this pool does NOT conjure images of loud, splashing children. The pool area was very dimly lit and VERY quiet. Great for relaxing!

The front desk was friendly and very responsive. When I asked for a refrigerator, it was brought immediately and when I asked to check out at 1 pm, my request was granted.

We did not eat or drink on premises, but the prices did not look too bad.

All in all, I would DEFINATELY stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Hell, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I've stayed at this property a number of times as my daughter was attending school in Madison. They have completed a renovation, and the rooms are updated and fresh. They've added the "Link" to the lobby which features a place to sit and watch TV, or use their free computers and internet. There's a new coffee bar in the lobby featuring Starbucks coffee, but the staff needs more training on making drinks. Bar is small, but prices are good, as they are in the restaurant. Front desk staff is friendly and efficent.

Saturday nights can be a bit hectic with all the weddings they do, and the smokers tend to congregate outside the front door necessitating a walk through a cloud to enter. Try to snag one of the parking spots in the driveway in front of the hotel - it saves a walk.

All in all - recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I booked this hotel for a conference through Travelocity for a two-nite stay. I showed them the travelocity reservation print out and they said great, everything is set, then when I checked out, they told me no charges, everything is taken care of.

Guess what, they charged me AGAIN for the rooms that I've already paid to Travelocity. The reason they said is that they didn't get money from Travelocity so they will charge the guest.

So I strongly advice everyone to be extra careful dealing with this hotel, especially when they tell you that everything is 'taken care of'!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Cleanliness: Lobby area appeared clean and well maintained. We stayed on fourth floor. Immediately walking out of the elevator, after check-in around 3:00 p.m., I noticed food trays still in the hall. The room was clean except for the residue scum on the tile area around the toilet area and shower. The toilet was leaking so that was the likely result.

Location: The hotel is adjacent and within walking distance of Kohl Center which is located on the University of Wisconsin - Madison campus. Downtown is a short drive.

Rooms: Room is what you expect of a Sheraton or Starwood property. Property could use new carpet in rooms and a little sprucing up such as a lighter paint or wallpaper. The room was very dark.

Service: Front desk clerks were very professional upon check-in.

Value: I used cash and points which was $30.00 and 1,600 Starwood points the night of our stay. I believe the regular rate was approximately $139.00 per night.

Sleep Quality: The room had the the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed which was very comfortable.

Overall: We were in Madison for the Iron Man competition September 12-13th. The property did have a Starbucks kiosk, Internet cafe and TV watching area in the lobby which was a nice touch. Not the nicest Starwood property I have ever stayed. If management spent money to update hallways and guest rooms with new carpet and paint it would go a long way.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!