“Great stay and experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Taylor, Wisconsin
“Great stay and experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We have stayed here 3 times now and each stay was excellent! Facility was great, service super and we stayed on the 7th Floor the Club Floor which gave us extra perks. We stayed here for the WIAA State basketball and the Badger Basketball games and we enjoyed the whole atmosphere. Vicki and Jen in the Club room were extra special tendintg to our breakfast needs and great conversation! We will definatly stay here many more times!

Room Tip: All rooms have been great and clean!
Green Features: It is a great feat to do the green thing. It helps our environment!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for such a great review! I am very happy to hear that each and every stay that you have had with us has been great. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the appropriate departments. We hope that you will visit us again very soon.

Lisa Watts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Let me start by saying, I did not read any reviews for this hotel prior to booking my reservation. I took for granted the name :Sheraton", the price $169/night and the pictures on the hotels website, would serve as enough evidence to support the selection and make the reservation, never again! This was a last minute reservation to spend the weekend with my grandson.

I am a Starwood Prefered Guest member and booked the reservation with a AAA discount, bringing the room charge too, $99.00/night (still way to high). My husband and I checked into the hotel early and decided to grab a quick bite for lunch. Quick is the optimal word, or should I say lack of quickness? The restaurant had a total of 3 tables with customers. My husband ordered a hamburger and fries, when it came to the table 20 minutes later, it had to be sent back because it was made with cheese (he is allergic). While waiting, I finished my soup. 20-25mins later my husbands hamburger and fries presented to our table. Disappointed and feeling like this time frame was a little lengthy, I brought this to the attention of our waitress. The waitress (with hesitation) agreed to remove my husbands meal from our bill.

We made it to our room on the 5th floor. The room smelled like an old antique store (musty). I contacted the front desk, requesting we have our room changed. The front desk staff accommodated us, and moved us to the third floor. Our view was the front of the hotel. When we walked into our new room, the pressed wood on the door was peeling off. Our closet doors would not close, they seemed to be warped. In order to take a shower, you need to walk into the bathroom and close the door completely, this allows you to walk around the toliet, which is in front of the shower. The bathroom has no room and I am not sure why half of it is taken up by what looks like should have been a sink. Instead they put an oversized counter with a shelf below it. The walls in our room were extremly thin, not only can you hear what is going on in the hallways, you can hear what is happening in the room beside the bathroom and in the bedroom area, you can hear everything going on outside in front of the hotel. The paint on the ceilings is chipping off, and one of the walls, has what looks like cuts in it. Our chair and curtains had unexplainable stains, white in color on the chair, and yellow on the curtains (yuk)!

The two last disappointments were the beds, which seemed liked those you slept on back in the 70's and the overpriced ice cream, that tasted like it was old, thawed out and re-frozen. The one positive happened the following morning in the restaurant. With our room fee, came two free breakfast vouchers. The breakfast buffet was amazing and so was the service that morning.

When checking out, I brought my concerns to the front desk staff when I checked out. The clerk assured me she would add 2000 points to my Starwood Preferred Guest account, which she informed me "could get me a free nights stay at any SPG hotel or resort". She continued on by stating " I hopes you return to our establishment and give us another try", I'm thinking I'll take a pass.

Room Tip: Not sure, with what we experienced.
Green Features: offers to have your towels reused and a recycle bin in the room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Sheraton is an excellent large hotel which is well maintained with large comfortable bedrooms and bathrooms. Rooms feel spacious, nice decor and clean. The beds are large and comfortable. The front desk is well organised and the public areas well maintained and comfortable inviting you to relax.

In the rooms the vanity top and wash basin is placed outside of the bathroom which after getting used to allowed us to speedily get ourselves ready in the morning without one of us waiting for the bathroom to become free. However some may not like having a wash basin effectively in the bedroom if partially screened off in its own area. We liked it.

It is large hotel serviced by 4 large guest lifts offering speedy access to your guest floors.It has a restaurant and gym which we unfortunately did not have the time to use.

When our group arrived we were expected and our room key cards quickly given with no fuss to allow us to go to our rooms immediately. When we saw our room was next to a pair of guestlifts and we heard structure bound noise from the lifts, we, on request, were transferred seamlessly to another room. A well run hotel.

Its main come down is its location slightly outside of the centre of Madison. However the Hotel offers a frequent and regular complimentary service to and from the city from the hotel. When not busy the Hotel's driver will take you to your destination and pick you up which happened for us on both evenings of our stay. A big thank you to the hotel.

Room Tip: The rear rooms face onto the railway but no views above the trees lining the lake. The front faces t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for such a fantastic review! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in providing great customer service to all of our guests. We hope that the next time you stay with us; you will try our restaurant and our newly renovated fitness center.

Warm regards,

Avon, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I spent the past weekend here on a visit to Madison for the BYU football game. While overall the hotel was not bad, there was nothing to really distinguish it from other hotels more conveniently located in Madison. The location is about a 10 minute drive from
Capitol Square and a little bit longer to the UW campus, so a car is needed for those visiting the school. If one is staying in the downtown area, no car would be needed. The hotel itself is adequate, but in need of updating. Things seemed a bit shabby. The room we had was ok, but the rooms were poorly insulated and one could hear everything going on in the hallways. Also, there was no room safe. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom and amenities ok. The best thing about the hotel was the price. Our room costs $127/night online, whereas the Best Western on the Square was going for $249.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I apologize that your recent stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We will be sure to take your comments into advisement during our next renovation. We hope that the next time you are in Madison you will give us a chance to go above and beyond your expectations.

Superior, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Was only staying here for one night. We used the hotel conference facilities for a one-day mini-conference for about 225 people. The conference food was good, and they usually handled the crowd without any issues for meals and breaks.

For me personally, the best part was the new Fitness Center. Clearly it had just been remodeled and refreshed. A large space (for this level of hotel) with plenty of options. I try to workout early every morning (I said try), and this was a much better experience than I usually encounter when travelling.

Additionally, my room was clean and in good condition and all of my interactions with staff were pleasant. Didn't quite feel like a FIVE, but overall it was a pretty good stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for such a great review! I am delighted to hear that you were able to try out our new Fitness Center by Core Preformance. It is new and we love hearing guest feedback about it. I hope that the next time you are in Madison you will stay with us again.

New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

There are several reasons why you might choose this hotel over others in Madison: you're attending a conference or event here, you're collecting Starwood points or you really want to be removed from downtown Madison. Other than that, choose a hotel in town. The hotel is a $10 cab ride from Capital Square. There is a free hotel shuttle into town, but it's the same shuttle that takes people to the airport. If an airport trip is on the schedule, it could be 45 minutes or so until the shuttle is available for a ride into town. I'm not certain if everyone was given "club lounge" access (I'm Starwood Gold) for a very limited free breakfast. Tea was unavailable on any of the 3 days I stayed. Coffee was unavailable on one of the days. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, cut-up fruit and white bread to toast in a room with 2 large-screen TVs. Cans of soda appeared to be available 24/7. The room itself was typical Sheraton, clean, quiet and very comfortable and the front desk helpful.

Room Tip: odd numbered rooms may have a view of Lake Monona
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and that our customer service was positive for you. I do apologize that your experience in our Club Lounge did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the appropriate departments. I hope that if your travels bring you back to Madison you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding that was in Madison, as part of a block of rooms that had been reserved. Overall, I have no complaints about the hotel. The only thing that was a frustration was the shuttle service that had been set up to bring guests back from the weddings site. The shuttle to the wedding was in time, but the shuttle back was quite late. We were told a shuttle would be available at 9:30 pm and it didn't come until 9:50. I can understand being a few minutes behind schedule but we had two small kids who were tired and waiting and I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't more prompt. So late night shuttle service was not good, but like I said, the hotel rooms and other areas were great. Great breakfast buffet in the restaurant.

Stayed November 2013
Lisa W, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize that our shuttle did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the appropriate departments. We hope that you will choose us again for your next visit to Madison.

Been to Sheraton Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!