“Nice rooms, nice lobby, good bar” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #31 of 63 hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice rooms, nice lobby, good bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This Sheraton sits about a mile or so outside of downtown Madison. Its easy access to Lake Monona. I took a run along the shore. I found the rooms very well appointed and comfortable. Had everything I needed, included free wireless. Lobby is nicely arranged for getting some work done. Restaurant in hotel has friendly service. I only ate breakfast there but the food came quickly and was good. In hotel bar was small but cozy with good service. Has all the local brews. Seems like lots of other biz people there, like myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonTeam, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
What a wonderful review! I am happy to hear that the Sheraton was the perfect place for you while you were in Madison for business! We take great pride in the hospitable staff we have working here, I am glad that you enjoyed their company. It is great that you had a relaxing comfortable experience with us and we look forward to showing you another great one next time you are in town!

Katie Johnson
Guest Services Manager

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here about eight times over the past three years, and we've almost always been happy with our choice. The staff is very friendly and accommodating; the rooms are very clean; the location is convenient to downtown Madison via car or bike. It's awesome to have free wifi, although I could see why some people have difficulty with it. Any dissatisfaction I have is relatively trivial... There used to be an issue with the keycards, but I am happy to report that the new keycard readers work perfectly. There are usually kids stampeding around the pool and hot tub area, which is pretty par for the course, but I wish a little bit more attention could be paid to the hazardous puddles that tend to accumulate everywhere. I don't love the quality of the restaurant or the club lounge breakfast offerings, but I think they are probably pretty standard for a Sheraton, so no real complaints there. As SPG Gold members we were supposed to be offered an upgrade at check-in, if it was available, but nobody at the front desk knew what we were talking about when we asked. I can't speak to the retail cost of the rooms, but the SPG points value is very good. Overall, after staying here regularly over the course of several years, I think it is a very decent choice if you need a hotel in the Madison area; it's a good representative of the Sheraton brand; and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Go for the club level if you have the option.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SheratonTeam, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I appreciate your recommendation to our hotel and am pleased that we are your hotel of choice while staying in Madison. I am sincerely sorry that you were not offered an upgrade during your last stay with us. I will be sure our Front desk is offering the upgrades when available for our Gold and Platinum SPG members. Overall I am happy that you continue to choose the Sheraton while you are in Madison and I know we will continue to exceed your expectations!

Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Booked this trip on Hotwire and paid under 70.00 for the room. I guess this means that you get the noisy room with a view of the heating/cooling systems on the 2nd floor room for this rate. Beds looked nice, but knew were were in for a rough night when my 6 year old said the bed was hard. She was right. Bedding was nice, but the mattress was way too firm. Also sheets kept coming lose from the bottom of the bed. Doors slam loudly into hallway and were a bit distracting. Had to call the office about a dog barking in the room across the hall around 9. Dog woke us up after 11 and one other time during the night. Cooling system in the room was very loud and had to keep the fan on all night because the sound of the air kicking in woke the kids up. Ordered room service, kids were very happy with their meal (pizza and chicken fingers). The only table in the room where the kids ate had a very loose table top which would not allow for any drinks to sit on it as it was not stable enough. I ordered the ww pasta which was awful (pasta had been cooked and sat out long enough to become crunchy and then was swimming in flavorless oil). Looks like the hotel has seen better days despite on the surface looking as though they have done some updates. Staff were polite, but would never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brian J, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I want to apologize that we failed to meet your expectations of our hotel. It is clear that you did not experience the true Sheraton standards that we intend all of our guests to have. Please know that we treat all of our guests equally and do not have any designated rooms for any guests. We take great pride in our hotel and the many amenities that we offer. I will be sure our Chief Engineer is aware of the table that was in your room to ensure it is fixed and sturdy for all future guests in house. We do have security on at night to help monitor for any noise or complaints, I apologize that we failed to do this with the dog barking at night. We will take all of our comments and use them as a learning opportunity, our Chief Engineer is looking at how we can improve the slamming of the guest room doors to decrease noise in the hallway and we are making sure there is a manager that walks the halls at night to eliminate any noise.

I will pass on your specific comments regarding the food to our Executive Chef, this is certainly not the feedback we want with our food or hotel and therefore we are working to improve all necessary areas of the hotel to ensure complete satisfaction from all of our guests. I hope you consider staying with us again in the future, I know we will exceed your expectations and show you the true Sheraton standards we hold ourselves so high to. Please feel free to contact me directly if your travels bring you back to Madison.

Brian Johnson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel for the past couple of weeks and it's a very nice Starwood property. Great location, parking is easy, restaurant and bar is convenient.

The noise in the hallways is almost unbearable however. One constantly hears doors slamming and people talking.
I was woken up almost every night during my stays over the last 3 weeks due to this. A real shame for such a nice hotel. The poor design of the room doors is especially unnerving, they close very loudly. You would have thought this would have part of the recently completed renovation. Don't stay here if you're expecting a peaceful night sleep!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I appreciate you choosing the Sheraton while you are in town and am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our many amenities like the complimentary parking, location and our bar and restaurant! I do want to apologize however for the inconvenience with the noise in the hallway. Please know we are taking your comments and looking into how we can improve our doors from slamming as well as making sure a manager is walking the halls frequently to ensure all of our guests are quiet in the hallways.

I appreciate you staying at the Sheraton and hope we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Brian Johnson
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nice clean hotel, Good little bar, Nice Indoor Pool. Not right in downtown Madison but less than a five minute drive to downtown. We were there on a Saturday night it seem as if they host a lot of weddings. Overall, fair price on a nice full service hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the many amenities that we have to offer at the Sheraton. We do offer a complimentary shuttle and are conveniently located about 2 miles from downtown Madison with a great walking path along Lake Monona. I have happy that you enjoyed your experience with us and in Madison and look forward to your next visit!

Best Regards,

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel was in a perfect location for us to travel to the University for a visit and to have easy access to the interstate. The hotel itself was clean, though the hallways were a bit noisy. We still enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I hope your visit to the UW was a success! It is great that you found our hotel to be so convenient for your trip to Madison. We look forward to seeing you much more for future visits!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Forty minutes before an appoinment I pull the shower nozzle on and it comes completely out of wall. Did not have time for engineer to come or change rooms. When I checked out they printed my receipt and asked if everything was ok. I stated everything was great but shower did not work. I was asked if everything else was okay which I said yes and the attitude was have a nice day. I stated that I just paid $150 for a room and shower was broken and asked for compensation. After checking with manager I was comped 25% off bill. This may have been a one time thing, and they did comp me eventually, but I thought it was comical that since everything else was okay that I should just accept my bill. That being said I will look at other hotels next time in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brian J, General Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for sharing you experience with us. It’s only through hearing feedback like what you have provided that we can improve our service. I’m sorry that you had this unfortunate issue with your rooms shower and that our front desk didn’t offer to make things right. I assure you we will listen and learn to ensure our customer service is second to none in the future. We truly hope that you will give us a second chance and stay with us next time you are in Madison.

Been to Sheraton Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!