“Worst hotel, pee room, pompous clerks” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4916 E. Broadway, Madison, WI 53716 (Formerly Quality Inn South)   |
Ranked #58 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
“Worst hotel, pee room, pompous clerks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The short of me is I work for the government and travel so I've been to many hotels. Shoddy conditions are to be expected when under the $60-50 mark. Also, a hotel can held so much accountable for what it's patrons get up to. That said this was the worst hotel experience I've had in the west side of the United States. The room reeked of piss, human piss. The neighbors practically lived in the hallway. They screamed at the top of their lungs at all hours and pounded on doors and windows, the adults demanding money and cigarettes, the children seemingly for something to do? Reported this to the staff and they actually chuckled about it and did nothing. I'm not certain what is being dealt under the table by the obnoxious family who is a live in here, but the hotel owners should make note of it and understand they have to be losing money by catering to these shenanigans. Any other guest I ran into pulled out for this fact alone. I was meant to pay up another two weeks, but cut it off at 4 days and chose to go camping inside. Yes, a campground over a hotel that is a first for me. If less than a star was a choice in the ratings that would be how I advertised it. There's plenty hotels next door, do yourself a solid and pick any other especially if your reason to get a room is you want to sleep. I didn't get a wink myself.

Room Tip: Don't. Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

room had cobwebs, hair in tub and sink, dirty bath door and walls, hotel clerk very very rude to me but nice to her friend she had in hotel lobby. a/c unit had no knob to adjust level of coolness or heat. when i went onto the rodeway website to complain theres not enough room in the comments to make your complaint so its like they dont care and i am keeping it short here so to not get cut off again. im not picky but on my military vacation this sucked royally. wish i could upload the video of the room i took

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Not much positive I can say about this place...
I made last-minute plans for air, car and lodging as I had to attend to a family medical emergency. I chose the package based on price, lodging location, and the website's claim that the rooms had WiFi.
I probably should have read the reviews, and/or called the motel to verify a few things, before booking.
The room was spacious, and it was kept clean during my stay.
The property is somewhat run-down and shabby.
Contrary to what the website said, there is no WiFi or internet access of any kind in the rooms. You can get access in the lobby, but even rooms closest to the lobby (I was in one) don't get a signal. Having internet access in-room was one of my key requirements for booking, since I would need to catch up with work, as well as keep family members updated, and was very disappointed to find this was not available. I would have switched motels but had neither the time nor energy.
Aside from that, the toilet in my room kept re-filling every 5 or 10 minutes - closing the bathroom door sort of muffled it.
Do not count on (avoid) the free continental breakfast. I was hoping to avail myself of it each morning before heading to the hospital, but the first morning I found a few pieces of questionable fruit, stale bread, mini-donuts (which were fresh and edible), and bagels. I grabbed a donut and bagel, but upon unwrapping the bagel I saw spots of green mold on it so I tossed it out.
The room keys demagnetized themselves with regularity, but seemingly only when I had an armful of stuff and had to schlep back to the desk and have them re-programmed. Keeping them away from other cards, cell phone etc didn't seem to do any good - they would just go bad.
This is a pretty large property, and they have 2 ice machines, but only 1 of which works - set aside a good 10 minutes to find it, and leave a trail of breadcrumbs so you can find your room again.
Some of the outside entrances were "out of order", so you couldn't always park at the entrance closest to your room.
Peeling wallpaper and water-damaged ceilings add to the "homey" feeling, if that fits your idea of "homey".
There are a restaurant and lounge on-site, though I never once saw either of them open for business. Perhaps there is a "high season" when they're open, or on weekends or something - - but both of these non-existent amenities were also listed on the website, and would have been nice to have.
The pool area looked OK, but given that they can barely maintain the rest of the place I wasn't about to go for a swim and contract a staph infection or whatnot.
Unless every other place in town is booked, I would not opt to stay here again, and even then I'd consider lodging in another nearby town over this place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Sheboygan WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

At one time, I'm sure, this was a major hotel for banquets, meetings, etc. I'd guess it was built as a classic full-service Holiday Inn, so it has the broad hallways, big restaurant, nice patio, full-size pool, etc.

Unlike so many older properties that are allowed to get shabby, I found this Rodeway to be clean and "fresh", even though the colors and styling are dated. It was built with good materials that still look good. Everything I needed worked just fine, so the maintenance has been good as well.

I feel like a got more than I payed for. I'd go back.

• Liked — Basic clean room, Decent continental breakfast, Comfortable rate.
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
iowa city, ia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I needed a place to stay for the night, using Madison as the half way point driving from northern Wisconsin to Iowa City, Iowa. I know this area of town a little bit and knew that the hotel was located in an easy to find location. The hotel rate for me was as good as it gets. I knew I wasnt going to be there long enough to take advantage of the pool, restaurant or the free breakfast, so cost and location was my main concern. So for both cost and location I was very satisfied. The hotel is indeed on the very end of a dead end road and the hotel and parking lot looked deserted when I arrived on a Saturday evening around 8pm. The young woman working the front desk was very pleasant and a joy to visit with for a few minutes. I was told the closest entrance to my room was on the east end of the hotel, by door 6. I drove to door 6 and found the area deserted. I didnt feel comfortable leaving my car there for the night, so I drove back around to the front entrance and left my car there. The room itself was alright. It was clean, quiet and odor free. It is an old hotel and an old room. The rooms heater and its controller was old school for certain, but it did work well. But the room and the bathroom area was clean and pleasant. The bed was very comfortable. I cant comment on the pool or breakfast, because I didnt use them. When I departed the hotel very early in the morning, I was relieved to see a lot more cars in the parking lot and my car was safe and sound. The handout from the hotel at check in says that they do have Security that patrols the hotel.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Deserted parking lot upon arrival.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2006

This motel is older and could use some redecorating. But our room was clean and the bed comfortable. The indoor pool is larger than most newer hotels have on offer. They also have a work-out room and a nice courtyard. The breakfast buffett (included in the room price) was not great: stale donuts, bagels and muffins, coffee and orange juice. But overall, this Rodeway Inn offers clean, comfortable rooms at a good price.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!