“Business stay... Just OK...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #40 of 63 hotels in Madison
Sacramento, California
“Business stay... Just OK...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I used this hotel for a business visit to the area. When I arrived, I was greeted by a helpful person at the front desk who could answer all of my questions. When I got to my room, I was pleased to see the size of the room. I got a king-sized bed, desk and chair, plush relaxation chair and ottoman, 32 inch flat screen TV, large Jacuzzi (booked by secretary), microwave, fridge and coffeemaker, hairdryer in bathroom and enough plugs around for my electronics. The room layout seemed to be fairly good and from 5-7 PM they had free tap beer and house wine with appetizer snacks.
In my room upon further inspection I did find black mold around the base of the shower (Why can't they clean this?), the shower head was supposed to have adjustments for spray, but didn't work very well. There were about 6 tissues in the tissue dispenser so toilet paper had to be used instead. I also found a hair on the towels. Unnecessary...
After my daily business, I had work to do in the evening so I ordered room service from the onsite restaurant. It actually arrived in about 25 minutes and tasted very good all three nights. This was welcome because there weren't any restaurants close by. There is not much of anything close to the hotel. They do offer a shuttle to malls, restaurants, etc., but it seems like a hassle to get set up. If you have a rental car, you are probably OK.
I didn't use the exercise room or the pool with the jungle theme and tiki-like bar thingee, but I guess families would like that.
The price for the whole stay seemed a bit high for what I got. Even though the room service food was good, I did have to pay quite a bit for it. They add a delivery charge and 15% tip automatically into the bill.
The "high-speed internet" (wireless) was fairly slow and kept cutting out, which was annoying when I would have to keep reinitiating sessions to do my work. They do have a hardwire connection so you might want to try that. Bring a network cable if you stay here. I didn't have one.
The bed was a bit hard and while I liked the fact that they had firm and soft (marked) pillows, they "short sheeted" the bed and tucked in the sheets too far down so it defeats the purpose of a king-size bed! Tall people won't like that.
The TV had HBO and many other channels. Seemed to work OK for my purposes.
I didn't try the Jacuzzi because I can't justify using 100 gallons of water for what is essentially a bath.
I had a first floor room and the ceiling was really high. See the photos.
The quick checkout envelope was under my door the last morning. This did help a quick checkout.
I think that all of these observations confirmed my assertions that this is only an "average" hotel for my business purposes, but might fit other needs just fine.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. This is a good tip for any hotel stay. They may look at you weird, but th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

My brother and I stayed here for two nights, October 14-16, 2011.

It happened to be homecoming weekend at the university, so hotel rooms were hard to find – especially if you were looking for nonsmoking, pet-free rooms. (I’m allergic to dogs, cats and tobacco, and while nonsmoking rooms are seldom hard to find, it was a bit difficult to find a hotel that doesn’t allow pets.) We booked this one because they didn’t allow pets at all, and they had two rooms available on this busy weekend.

The hotel is slightly tricky to find, at least from the north; there is a small street-level sign, but most of the space on the sign – the top part - is for the restaurant (George’s Chophouse), with only a small part at the bottom mentioning the Holiday Inn. We drove right past it, the first time around. I think that, if you approach from the south, the signage is considerably better.

An open bar area takes up a lot of the lobby; the reception desk is relatively small. We waited briefly to check in, as a group of teenage girls were at the desk to get wristbands to access the water park, but then we were waited on quickly and efficiently. We were pretty tired, and asked the desk clerk if he could recommend a restaurant that delivered; he suggested the Glass Nickel, and supplied a menu. (Good recommendation, by the way.)

I’m not sure why, but our rooms were on the Executive (4th) Floor; this meant that we needed to use our room keys to convince the elevator to go there. That was the only floor we saw, but it was quite nice. Our rooms were mini-suites, with a nice sitting area with desk, sleeper sofa and large flat-screen TV, kitchenette (with microwave, fridge and coffeemaker), bathroom and bedroom (with a second big flat-screen TV).

The bathroom was pretty big and it had a good-sized walk-in shower; it was quite nice, but I wouldn’t have minded having a bathtub.

The bed was king-sized and had an assortment of pillows to choose from.

The thermostat was a bit confusing; there was a wall unit under the window, but its control knob came right off in my hand. When I called down to the desk about it, the desk guy said that I didn’t need to use that control anyway – that there was a thermostat on the wall. It took me a while to figure out how to make the thermostat do anything other than what it had in mind in the first place, but we came to terms eventually.

The wi-fi was pretty good; I was able to browse pretty quickly on my iPad.

All in all, it was a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the Executive Floor were really nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Edina, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Generally, we have had good experiences with Holiday Inn properties, but this one was a real disappointment. A month in advance we reserved two non-smoking adjoining rooms so that we could visit UW Madison for a college tour. The rooms were NOT cheap, but I thought the waterpark feature would justify the extra cost. When we arrived at the hotel and checked-in, the room smelled absolutely awful. I could not pinpoint the smell, but it seemed to be a mix of cigarette smoke and chemicals applied to cover-up the smoke smell. For the first fifteen minutes I tried to just ignore it with the hope that I would get used to the bad smell and be able to handle being in the room for two nights. Finally, I determined that the smell was too horrible and pervasive to ignore and I called the front desk to ask to be moved. They gave me a run-around and told me there were no other rooms in the hotel and offered to put a deionizing machine in the room (something which does not work that well). I then went to the front desk and told the desk attendant that I wanted to speak to the night manager to be moved. Long story made short is that after a lot of back and forth, amazingly there were two other rooms that were adjoining and free for us to move into. We moved into the new rooms with the commitment from the manager that these rooms had been checked-out and were odor free. Not so. While these rooms were not nauseating, they still had some bad chemical/smoke odor but just not as bad as the former rooms. By this time, it was about 9:00 PM and the kids wanted to hit the waterpark. To add insult to injury, the waterpark was anything but a waterpark and was a huge disappointment that no one returned to. When I checked-out the manager had the opportunity to try to make my stay a more neutral experience by recognizing my trouble through a discount or something, but none of that occurred. Instead, they took their overly inflated nightly rate and did not respond when I was asked "How was your stay?" and I responded "Terrible." I travel a lot and stay in hotels that range from $69 - $650/night and rarely complain, but this was really a very poorly run hotel that will not be able to sustain its rates or business over time if it continues to have such terrible operations and customer service. If you are looking to stay in the Madison Area, I would highly recommend the Hilton, Hyatt Place or several of the other hotels in the area, but not this one -- don't let the hotel pictures deceive you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites while you were visiting the UW Campus with your family. I am sorry you did not have a good experience at the hotel. Please feel free to contact me at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites to discuss your stay in more detail, and so I can hopefully resolve the discount you were suppose to receive. I hope you will give us a second chance to make things right.

You can reach me on my direct line - 608-203-4700

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I was there for business in late Sept 2011 for 3 nights. The front desk and shuttle drivers answered many questions. The shuttle service was very convenient. The breakfast buffet was very good. The room was nice but the walls were thin (I could hear a conversation at 5am from the next room). The bed was comfortable and the room was clean (except the whirlpool tub). They have complimentary wireless but it didn't work well and was very slow. The hot water for the shower was not consistent and took a lot of time to warm up.

This didn't impact me but it's worth noting - they charge $10 each hour for late checkout and $0.75 for local calls.

This hotel isn't really within walking distance of anything - there are a couple fast food places about a mile or so away. No decent shopping nearby.

If I was travelling for person reasons I wouldn't stay here due to the reasons above however what made me choose them was mainly the shuttle service they provided to the training I was in town for. I'm going back in a few months and will be choosing something closer to restaurants/shopping that also includes the shuttle service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites while you were here for training. The Hotel does offer complimentary shuttle to area restaurants and shopping (based on availabilty) we suggest you contact our driving to schedule your shuttle in advance.

The hotel is located just 3 blocks from Greenway Shopping & Restaurants.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel - 608-203-4700 if you would like to arrange another reservation when you come back to Madison.

We hope you will stay with us again

Daly City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have stayed at this Holiday Inn Hotel for 4 times. The staff are always friendly and they have a free happy hour from 5-7pm.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West. The hotel offers a complimentary appetizer reception Monday - Thursday 5-7pm To show our appreciation to our Priority Club Members they also receive complimentary house beer, wine and soda during the reception. Sign up during your next stay with us.
West Lafayette, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Let me start off by saying that I simply needed an affordable place to stay a few nights around Madison. I won this hotel with a $50/night Priceline bid for my Thursday through Sunday stay on a non-home football game weekend. I needed a place to lay my head at night and this hotel fit that bill nicely.

As for the positives, the room I was assigned (King Leisure, I believe) was spacious with seperate sitting area with its own TV, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a sink. Throw in free wifi and free parking, and this hotel offered just about anything I needed for my extended weekend.

The negatives were small, but worth pointing out. They may have been limited to my room, but I find that doubtful. The plubming was extremely loud, and there would be loud flowing water sounds as if the stool were flushing (but it was not). I never figured out if this was from the above floors or just a function of the plumbing (it seemed to happen at regular intervals). In the bedroom area, the wallpaper was starting to peel away from the wall at the ceiling level. The included desk had a handle that was unscrewed and falling off. The coffee pot lid was broken off and did not seem to match the coffee pot itself. As I said, none of these were horrible problems (or worth moving/compalining about), but they were noticable and makes me wonder about the upkeep of the property.

I'll mention this seperately ... the hotel seems to take pride in its pool area with a small waterpark. It is obviously kid-centric, but this pretty much made it unusable to adults over the weekend. Even the hot tub (which was quite warm) was at times filled with children. Again, I'm sure this is a fun area for kids, but not really a place for adults unless you want to go at off times (daytime during the week). There were lifeguards on duty, and they seemed pleasant and helpful in a few brief interactions. Perhaps because of the waterpark (or not), there also seemed to be quite a few child guests who could be heard continuously running (thumping) through the hallways.

Reading through my review, it comes off perhaps a bit more negative than I intended. This is a fine establishment with some fraying around the edges that could easily be corrected. It seems to be more kid-centric (at least on the weekends), so keep that in mind if you are looking for a place to stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor is closer to the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West. We are happy you enjoyed our spacious rooms with amenities including refrigerators, micorwaves, free internet access, on-site restaurant and lounge.

We appreciate you letting us know about your concerns with your room. Please contact the general manager at the hotel 608-826-0500 to discuss further, or to help you with future reservations

La Crosse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We generally don’t look for rooms at the Holiday Inn, but the rate was right so we couldn’t resist. This is a very nice Holiday in. The lobby and bar area are nicely appointed and the desk staff was very friendly. The first thing that we noticed was that from the door to the elevator to the room, everything was spotless. It was clear that cleanliness is a high priority here. The room was quite nice and the temperature controls worked well. An unusual treat was that the windows actually opened.
There were two LCD TV’s, one in the sitting area and one near the bed. The bathroom was clean and well lit, the shower worked well and was large, there was no tub.
The only complaint about the room was the bed. While it might be fine for some, it was rather soft for our taste and the pillows were a bit firm.
The Pool area was very nice. There is a bar and an indoor waterslide. The hot tub was the perfect 104 degrees and clean. IT was also very large. I would guess that 15 people would be very comfortable. One unique feature for a hotel, there was a life guard on duty.
We did not dine at the hotel, but by all reports, the food it quite good.
I would recommend this location with no hesitation. It is clean and conveniently located in what appears to be a safe business park setting and has a well-lit parking lot. We will certainly return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West. The hotel is the perfect location whether you are traveling for business you pleasure.

The hotel offers spacious guest rooms, on-site restaurant George's Chophouse & Lounge to relax after a long day of travel or business. If you are traveling with your family enjoy Madison's only indoor waterpark - Crawdaddy Cove.

Close to shopping and family attractions.
Thank you again - Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!